Food   Nostalgia   Recipes   Soap Box   Pets   Books   Media   Reviews   Gardening   Abbreviations   WAG   TWS   Forums Index   Food Blog   Contact Mr. Lake   Advertise on this site   Recover Your Password
Forums for all who enjoy sharing information about New Orleans food, drink, history...
 Home Page  

Incredible wine dinner at La Provence

March 27 2008 at 5:39 PM
  (Login bdavid4)

Response to Tonight's Dinner

Schatze, must have missed the post about your mother being unwell - glad she is doing better.

We went last night to the first of a monthly series of wine dinners at La Provence.  This may have been one of the best meals of my life.

We started with three baked oysters, with a garlicky bread crumb topping and a smoky glazy sauce underneath, served on the shells.  Second app that appeared was a lump crab timbale (beautiful crab in a light delicate mouse, in the shape of a shot glass) sitting on lobster nantua.  It was incredibly good, and I thought it had to go downhill from there.  But no!  Next course was wild boar smoked ham (essentially kind of intense prosciutto), topped with a couple of fingerling potatoes and fennel - the flavour blend was astonishing.  The two wines with the first courses were whites, so I was not too interested.

Then:  a salad of arugula topped with shavings of foie gras, port wine vinaigrette on the arugula and a dollop of satsuma compote on the side.  The combination of the rich foie gras with the bitter satsuma was breathtaking.  With this course, finally a red - a nice but not overwhelming Domaine Terres du Solence Rouge Cuvee.

And then:  navarin of lamb (rich, dark, gravy, lamb chunks intense flavour), served with garlic truffle frites (oh my God, amazing) and an asparagus flan.  The wine with this was outstanding - a Zavier Vignon Rouge Gigondas 2000 - I must try to find some.

Last course, a roasted pear, sliced and fanned on the plate and accompanied by almond creme fraiche and lemon grass coulis.  Dessert wine was a Muscat - pretty good, actually, but these are not my favourites.

Next month's will feature champagnes.  We intend to hit every one of these dinners.  It was $70/person - tax, tip and wines included - a bargain for a meal of this quality.  Wow.  

We could make up a forum table for one of them if anyone is interested.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Sounds wonderful Barbara - Mrs. Fury on Mar 27, 6:38 PM
  3. OK so where are the Pictures? - Arthur Hebert on Mar 27, 8:31 PM
  5. Oooh, Gigondas - PaulaRat on Mar 28, 6:17 AM
    1. they were perfect - Barbara on Mar 28, 8:04 AM

6. if you have a spare room... - jag on Mar 28, 9:35 PM
    1. Here's the website - Barbara on Mar 29, 1:02 PM

New Orleans Links

Visit The Nostalgic New Orleans Collection Shop

Forums Index       Food Blog       Food Forum       Nostalgia       Recipes       Soap Box       Pets       Books       Visual Media       Reviews       Tours       Abbreviations

Advertise on this site   Recover Your Password   Contact Mr. Lake
New Orleans Websites   Advertisements:

Support the Locals
By using the following links you will support local authors & entrepreneurs while helping to pay the forum rent -- and it won't cost you a penny more.

The Nostalgic New Orleans Collection Shop
The Past in the Present

Northshore Tennis

Metairie
Catherine Campanella
Order online at Octavia Books
or Order at Amazon.com

Lake Pontchartrain
Catherine Campanella
or Order at Amazon.com

Ruby Slippers
Amy Cyrex Sins
or Order at Amazon

Gumbo Tales
Sarah Roahen
or Order at Amazon

Books by Poppy Z. Brite
or Order at Amazon.com

And the nonlocals:
Just about anything you might want can now be found on Amazon. Begin your search here.

Cheese:
Cheese and More

Various Food Items:
New Orleans Seafood Boil Supplies
Ethel M Confections
Port Chatham Smoked Seafood

Gifts:
Harry and David
Wine Country Gift Baskets

Sewing:
Sewing Products

Today's Deals at Amazon

Everything New Orleans

eXTReMe Tracker

This site uses cookies and/or web beacons to collect data in the ad serving process.