Food   Nostalgia   Recipes   Soap Box   Pets   Books   Media   Reviews   Gardening   Abbreviations   WAG   TWS   Forums Index   Food Blog   Contact Mr. Lake   Advertise on this site   Recover Your Password
Forums for all who enjoy sharing information about New Orleans food, drink, history...

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Home Page  

Mr. Casamento

November 7 2005 at 5:32 PM

Mr. Lake  (Login MrLake)
Members

According to Poppy Brite at http://www.livejournal.com/users/docbrite/ , "Joe Casamento, proprietor of Casamento's Restaurant, died the night Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans."  She paid a lovely on the mark tribute to him there, may he rest in peace.

Mr. Lake

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

CopCop
(Login Cop_Cop)

First I've heard of it!

November 7 2005, 5:46 PM 

Thank you, Poppy for your report. God bless Mr. Joe and God bless Poppy for yet another dig at Jaques-Imo's (Shithole, hahahahahahaha!).

I wonder if Casamento's will still open on schedule? They'd better not rile up Mr. Joe!

This message has been edited by Cop_Cop on Nov 7, 2005 5:50 PM

Respond to this message   

schatze
(Login schatze311)

The web site

November 7 2005, 6:03 PM 

It says opening Nov 15 but makes no mention of the death.

schatze

Respond to this message   

JuJu
(Login JuJuHooDoo)

Searched and searched

November 7 2005, 7:53 PM 

but found nothing substantiating Mr. C's death.

Found an excerpt of an e-mail supposedly from "CJ" on Chowhound's New Orleans forum but nothing in T-P or any other obit listing of any Casamento in 2005.

(\0/)
She who is flexible shall not be bent out of
shape.

Respond to this message   
DoctorB
(no login)

Confirmation

November 7 2005, 8:29 PM 

... don't y'all be mad at me, but it came from Tom F, whom I do trust as far as local food news goes. The Chowhound post you refer to is the only online mention I've been able to find, and I didn't quite trust it. I'm glad people here are speaking well of Mr. Joe and that he is fondly remembered.

Casamento's is scheduled to open November 15. I'll be there, though it will be hard not seeing him behind that gleaming counter.

Respond to this message   
maria
(Login maria1919)
Members

Poppy

November 7 2005, 8:57 PM 

Send me your e mail address again at mav312@aol.com

thanks

Respond to this message   
DoctorB
(no login)

Done! (nm)

November 7 2005, 9:26 PM 

nm

Respond to this message   

Mr. Lake
(Login MrLake)
Members

Remembering Mr. Casamento

November 7 2005, 10:05 PM 

I can't think of Joe Casamento without "seeing" that rubber thing he wore on his thumb.  Of all the oysters shuckers I've seen  in all the towns in all the world, I ain't nevuh seen none ov'em wear anything like it.  I would have thought that after all those years behind that oyster bar, Mr. Joe wouldn't have needed any kind of safety gear -- maybe it was his good luck charm. I'm also reminded of that long metal rod that resembled a fireplace poker that he used to slide oysters out of the antiquated "ice box".  You won't see anything like that at Sweet Fire and Ice. Casamento's never tried for trendy but I'm amazed that no one, in my memory, ever tried to imitate them.

Mr. Casamento seemed ageless to me.  He was there the first and last time I was there and, to my memory, at all times in between.  Time stood still when walking through that door.  With Mr. Joe gone, the place will not be the same because he was a huge presence in that treasured neighborhood restaurant.  I just poured a beer into a tiny cylindrical glass which is now raised in a toast to Mr. Joe with hopes that nothing else changes at Casamento's.

Mr. Lake

Respond to this message   
DoctorB
(no login)

"Tiny cylindrical glass"

November 7 2005, 11:07 PM 

I love it. There are about two good swigs in those things, yet somehow they conjure up the essence of Casamento's.

But you know what? I think the spirit of Casamento's just might survive intact. I can barely remember when the old man, Joe Sr., was alive. I bet when he died, people said it would never be the same ... yet it remained almost exactly the same. I suspect Mr. Joe drilled his work ethic and insistence on perfection into his nephew C.J. just as his father did to him.

Respond to this message   

Mr. Lake
(Login MrLake)
Members

Well, DoctorB...

November 9 2005, 8:40 PM 

if you ever decide to use that line ("tiny cylindrical glasses") in one of your books, I'd be pleased as rum punch. 

I don't know who "C.J." is but there's a lady there who I'm guessing is about my age (maybe a younger) who's been there just about as long as I can remember.  I always assumed she was Mr. and Mrs. Joe Junior's daughter.  I would have thought she's be the one to take over the place.  In any case, like you, I have hope that Casamento's will remain a timeless treasure.

Mr. Lake

Respond to this message   
DoctorB
(no login)

Re: Well, DoctorB...

November 17 2005, 6:02 PM 

Had lunch there today, but sadly, the tiny cylindrical glasses are temporarily retired -- like so many other places, they're using disposable glasses until they get more dishwashers. C.J. Gerdes is Mr. Joe's nephew, who is now full owner of Casamento's and has done all the frying for I don't know how many years. The lady you're talking about, if she has dark, wavy hair, is probably his wife Linda.

Respond to this message   

Mr. Lake
(Login MrLake)
Members

Fried in Lard Deliciously

November 18 2005, 2:28 AM 

What did you order (other than the raw ones)?

Your description of Linda fits my mental picture of her.  Thanks for the info.

On an entirely different but related note (every bit of news about the city is related), if anyone still has a copy of yesterday's paper, see Doctor B's article on the editorial page.

Mr. Lake

Respond to this message   
DoctorB
(no login)

Re: Fried in Lard Deliciously

November 18 2005, 2:05 PM 

Same thing I get 19 times out of 20: half an oyster loaf, plain. The twentieth time, I get the softshell crab platter and ask if they can give me two small ones instead of one big one, because I think they're sweeter and juicier that way.

I also like their gumbo pretty well and sometimes get it instead of raw.

Thanks for your kind words re: my T-P op-ed piece. Those who didn't save yesterday's paper can read it here.

Respond to this message   

PaulaRat
(Login PaulaRat)

Great piece, Doctor B

November 18 2005, 2:11 PM 

Thanks for posting the link. I can't seem to remember to buy a newspaper these days.

PaulaRat

Respond to this message   

Mrs. Fury
(Login MrsFury)

Doc B

November 18 2005, 2:13 PM 

I thoroughly enjoyed the TP article. Thank you for posting the link.

Respond to this message   
PeteV
(no login)

hey Poppy

November 18 2005, 3:14 PM 

are you getting freakin' e-mail? I'm sorry, I meant fargin.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Home Page  
Find more forums on Cooking & RecipesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

New Orleans Links

Visit The Nostalgic New Orleans Collection Shop

Forums Index       Food Blog       Food Forum       Nostalgia       Recipes       Soap Box       Pets       Books       Visual Media       Reviews       Tours       Abbreviations

Advertise on this site   Recover Your Password   Contact Mr. Lake
New Orleans Websites   Advertisements:

Support the Locals
By using the following links you will support local authors & entrepreneurs while helping to pay the forum rent -- and it won't cost you a penny more.

The Nostalgic New Orleans Collection Shop
The Past in the Present

Northshore Tennis

Metairie
Catherine Campanella
Order online at Octavia Books
or Order at Amazon.com

Lake Pontchartrain
Catherine Campanella
or Order at Amazon.com

Ruby Slippers
Amy Cyrex Sins
or Order at Amazon

Gumbo Tales
Sarah Roahen
or Order at Amazon

Books by Poppy Z. Brite
or Order at Amazon.com

And the nonlocals:
Just about anything you might want can now be found on Amazon. Begin your search here.

Cheese:
Cheese and More

Various Food Items:
New Orleans Seafood Boil Supplies
Ethel M Confections
Port Chatham Smoked Seafood

Gifts:
Harry and David
Wine Country Gift Baskets

Sewing:
Sewing Products

Today's Deals at Amazon

Everything New Orleans

eXTReMe Tracker

This site uses cookies and/or web beacons to collect data in the ad serving process.