Food   Nostalgia   Recipes   Soap Box   Pets   Books   Media   Reviews   Gardening   Abbreviations   WAG   TWS   Forums Index   Food Blog   Contact Mr. Lake   Advertise on this site   Recover Your Password
Forums for all who enjoy sharing information about New Orleans food, drink, history...

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Home Page  

Dixie Beer no more?

November 19 2005 at 8:00 AM
Danno  (Login Danno11)
Members

Some one sent me this link to a blog, regarding Dixie's insurance, has anyone seen anything that validates these claims? Here is the link:

http://gulfsails.blogspot.com/2005/11/dixie-beer-done.html

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Mr. Lake
(Login MrLake)
Members

Re: Dixie Beer no more?

November 19 2005, 8:50 AM 

I don't know.  Haven't heard a word about Dixie Beer's fate but said in a previous post that we visited the brewery a year or so ago and it's built like a fortress.  As for damaged equipment, most of it was antiquated (not that that's a bad thing). See http://www.network54.com/Forum/424368/thread/1121301182/last-1121301182/Dixie+Brewery+--+April%2C+2004 for a look.

Mr. Lake

Respond to this message   

PaulaRat
(Login PaulaRat)

Dixie awt

November 19 2005, 11:42 AM 

In anticipation that Dixie may be no more (but I hope I'm wrong), we picked up this pitcha at the Destrehan Fall Festival last weekend. It's about 10" x 12".

PaulaRat

Respond to this message   

schatze
(Login schatze311)

I like it

November 19 2005, 12:12 PM 

And it looks like some crawfish are defending their six pack.

Respond to this message   
JCG
(no login)

Awt? You awta donate that to NOMA (John Bullard would love it) or the Ogden!

November 20 2005, 11:25 AM 

Actual coversation overhead by RHG many years ago at a New Orleans cocktail party [food reference]:

First Woman (shyly): "We're looking for a special school. My son's autistic...".

Second Woman (from Mid-City): Aw, ain't dat nice. My son loves ta draw, too"."

Respond to this message   
kimmie
(no login)

hmmm

November 20 2005, 8:30 PM 

my son IS autistic

Yet I find the humor here.. go figger

Respond to this message   
JCG
(no login)

So is a teenage grandniece of mine...

November 21 2005, 1:49 AM 

... yet she and her family enjoyed that true story immensely and still chuckle over it.

Respond to this message   

Mr. Lake
(Login CCampanella)
Owner

More Dixie Awt

November 20 2005, 10:34 PM 

DixiePoster.jpg 

Johnny P's uncle (the one who nicknamed him "Pic" gave us this poster sometime back in the 80s, possibly late 70s.  Like Paula's Dixie awt, it also includes seafood.

Mr. Lake

Respond to this message   
DoctorB
(no login)

Re: Dixie Beer no more?

November 19 2005, 5:17 PM 

I have no idea if this is true, but I do know I've been looking for Dixie since the storm and haven't seen it a single time. What an awful thing if we can't get our "Dix-pack of Sixie" no more. Da Bitch continues to take her toll.

Respond to this message   

kimmie
(Login kimmiethebeadwench)

the last dixie

November 19 2005, 6:33 PM 

Is in MY Fridge

a couple of weeks ago a friend and I went to the Half Moon and bought the last 4 dixies they had..we're keeping the last one ( we couldn;t NOT drink the other three)

Though I hope and pray they will be back in bidness eventually.

Respond to this message   

CopCop
(Login Cop_Cop)

I like your reasoning, Kimmie!

November 20 2005, 7:05 AM 

"....we couldn't NOT drink the other three!"

I think I'll borrow that after work this evening! (But it'll be MORE than three beers in my case).

Respond to this message   

Mr. Lake
(Login MrLake)
Members

Nah wait a minute

November 20 2005, 10:58 PM 

Hopefully, Dixie will rise from the waters and live again. 

Hoarding Dixie's reminds me of the great Coca-Cola debacle during the 80s when New Coke came out and old Coke wasn't dare no mooah.  I had cases of old Coke in bottles and would limit myself to ONLY one per day.  Low and behold, Coke Classic "came back".  I'm raising a glass of Michelob in a toast with hopes that I can one day soon raise a glass of Dixie even though I really don't like the stuff -- tastes like pennies to me.  It's part of our culture, fah gawdsakes.

Mr. Lake

Respond to this message   
spudly
(no login)

TRUE

November 20 2005, 9:22 AM 

The guy that delivers Dixie, among other things, told me last week that the brewery is shutting down. This doesn't mean that in the future someone might use the name again somewhere else.

Respond to this message   

CopCop
(Login Cop_Cop)

Thanks for that Spudly!

November 20 2005, 9:46 AM 

So Dixie ain't dare no more needa! Benny's gonna have to write a whole 'nother song, maybe two or three! Dixie was my standard beverage to pair with my double cheeseburger on French wit' mynez, dressed, at Wallace & Raoul's parkin' lot (Where I-610 crosses Elysian Fields today).

Respond to this message   
JCG
(no login)

If it's true what they say about Dixie, that's terrible news...

November 20 2005, 10:25 AM 

... for one of the first of countless joys of New Orleans that I discovered upon settling here more than 30 years ago was Dixie beer. It even displaced Michelob as my favorite American cold one.

The name is too good not to be taken up by some future Brewer - perhaps headquartered in Beijing - but will the product taste the same?

There's an amusing passage in "Oyster" [food reference par excellence] - an unusually well-written and compelling, if gritty, novel (set in 1950s Plaquemines Parish before much of it washed away) by contemporary Louisiana author, John Biguenet - no frothy pseud, he - describing a half-drunk fisherman's lunch of "Dixies and salted crackers".

It wasn't an enviable life down there back then, but, while we have salted crackers in our house in 2005, we have no Dixies!

Respond to this message   
NOOAWLINSMA
(Login NOOAWLINSMA)
Members

Another "aint dere no more"?

November 20 2005, 7:49 PM 

Man, I don't know how much I can take, ya hear me?

Respond to this message   

Mr. Lake
(Login MrLake)
Members

Hoo, Man...

November 20 2005, 10:46 PM 

Besods'zat Mrs. Fury is tellin' us dat Central Grocery is still closed.  It's jis too much.

Mr. Lake

Respond to this message   

Mr. Lake
(Login CCampanella)
Owner

Look what treasures a friend of mine gave me

November 20 2005, 10:11 PM 

DixieKB.jpg 

Priceless.

Mr. Lake

Respond to this message   

Mr. Lake
(Login MrLake)
Members

I just noticed

November 20 2005, 11:02 PM 

the Dixie pencil even has teethmarks.  Prolly from somebody who was drinkin' a Dixie who could hardly wait to bite into da oystuh loaf they just ordered at Casamento's.

Mr. Lake

Respond to this message   

Mr. Lake
(Login MrLake)
Members

"100 million dollar insurance policy"

November 20 2005, 10:41 PM 

"Lost" insurance or not, I find it hard to believe that Dixie ever had 100 million dollars in insurance coverage. 

Mr. Lake

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Home Page  
Find more forums on Cooking & RecipesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

New Orleans Links

Visit The Nostalgic New Orleans Collection Shop

Forums Index       Food Blog       Food Forum       Nostalgia       Recipes       Soap Box       Pets       Books       Visual Media       Reviews       Tours       Abbreviations

Advertise on this site   Recover Your Password   Contact Mr. Lake
New Orleans Websites   Advertisements:

Support the Locals
By using the following links you will support local authors & entrepreneurs while helping to pay the forum rent -- and it won't cost you a penny more.

The Nostalgic New Orleans Collection Shop
The Past in the Present

Northshore Tennis

Metairie
Catherine Campanella
Order online at Octavia Books
or Order at Amazon.com

Lake Pontchartrain
Catherine Campanella
or Order at Amazon.com

Ruby Slippers
Amy Cyrex Sins
or Order at Amazon

Gumbo Tales
Sarah Roahen
or Order at Amazon

Books by Poppy Z. Brite
or Order at Amazon.com

And the nonlocals:
Just about anything you might want can now be found on Amazon. Begin your search here.

Cheese:
Cheese and More

Various Food Items:
New Orleans Seafood Boil Supplies
Ethel M Confections
Port Chatham Smoked Seafood

Gifts:
Harry and David
Wine Country Gift Baskets

Sewing:
Sewing Products

Today's Deals at Amazon

Everything New Orleans

eXTReMe Tracker

This site uses cookies and/or web beacons to collect data in the ad serving process.