Food   Nostalgia   Recipes   Soap Box   Pets   Books   Media   Reviews   Gardening   Abbreviations   WAG   TWS   Forums Index   Food Blog   Contact Mr. Lake   Advertise on this site   Recover Your Password
Forums for all who enjoy sharing information about New Orleans food, drink, history...

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Home Page  

Tonight's dinner, Sunday

November 20 2005 at 9:19 PM

PaulaRat  (Login PaulaRat)

PC made his famous Italian chicken (basically encrusted in Parmesan, with Eyetalian hoibs), green beans with almonds, and yellow rice. Notice our lovely new platter from Big Lots which just about matches the plates from the Dollar Store:

PaulaRat

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

schatze311
(Login schatze311)

Colorful

November 20 2005, 9:24 PM 

Both the meal and the dishes. You don't need Limoges to get eye appeal.
Izzat chicken grilled or pan cooked?

schatze

Respond to this message   

PaulaRat
(Login PaulaRat)

Neither

November 21 2005, 6:38 AM 

It's baked (no fat at all, Mrs. F). Very easy. PC agreed to cook last night after I was nearly going off the deep end while making groceries. Too many things not available. I hope that changes soon.

PaulaRat

This message has been edited by PaulaRat on Nov 21, 2005 6:41 AM

Respond to this message   

AlertReader
(Login AlertReader)
Members

Izzat your plate, PR?

November 20 2005, 9:31 PM 

Where's Puddles's plate? Looks good!! Yummarama!

I shopped at Odd Lots today. I was looking all over for a round table cloth for Thanksgiving. We needed a covering for the smokers' table on the deck. Last place I looked was Odd Lots, and whoop, there it was. Price was so good, I bought two.

Respond to this message   

Mrs. Fury
(Login MrsFury)

Hubbie's favorite food

November 20 2005, 9:51 PM 

Chicken - and encrusted in Parmesan - his dream come true. I'm sure it was great. So, did he use butter & olive oil or just one of those?

Respond to this message   

Mr. Lake
(Login CCampanella)
Owner

We had chicken, too

November 20 2005, 10:06 PM 

Johnny liked my rosemary chicken so much that he decided to make it tonight...

MikesRosemaryChicken.jpg 

with steamed broccoli.

Mr. Lake

Respond to this message   

schatze311
(Login schatze311)

Chicken here, too

November 20 2005, 10:49 PM 

No pics though. Marinated strips in a flour tortilla with sour cream, lettuce and tomato.

Respond to this message   

Mr. Lake
(Login MrLake)
Members

Chicken Delight

November 20 2005, 10:51 PM 

Now I'm in the mood for Mexican.

Mr. Lake

Respond to this message   

PaulaRat
(Login PaulaRat)

Gorgeous!

November 21 2005, 6:40 AM 

That broccoli is so pretty, too.

PaulaRat

Respond to this message   

Mr. Lake
(Login MrLake)
Members

Semi-eclectic

November 20 2005, 11:09 PM 

Good looking plates and platters, Paula.  Ya did good.

Mr. Lake

Respond to this message   
JCG
(no login)

It would seem that everybody's Sunday night dinner tasted like chicken - except ours...

November 21 2005, 9:58 AM 

... RHG produced a masterpiece on undecorated platters (white plate special - not intended for display but for eating with relish, so to speak!). It was roasted Cornish hen with an oyster and walnut stuffing; accompanied by peas - and, of course some fine claret. Apple compote with whipped cream for dessert.

After dinner, we sobered up by watching CBS's '60 Minutes' segment (frustratingly, delayed for three quarters of an hour by wretched football - why don't they have a separate, juvenile channel for that?) on the sinking of New Orleans.

The segment was unbalanced, scientifically, but thought-provoking, nevertheless. The sole, briefly interviewed scientist on the show, the much-derided Prof Tim Kusky of St Louis should have been answered by other geological experts; and there should have been several more informed local speakers than the loquacious Greg Meffert, Mayor Nagin's IT spokesguru, to debate the pros and cons of rebuilding.

We were appalled to read in the press that an attempt had actually been made by local and state politicians and commissioners - apparently the kind who would strive play down imperial nakedness! - to suppress CBS's airing of the controversial segment about the city's geological vulnerability.

That attempt reminded me of the kind of efforts traditionally made in communist countries like the PRC, North Korea, or the former Soviet Union to hide or falsely downplay the impact of major natural disasters or embarrassing human blunders like virus outbreaks or Chernobyl, rather than encourage productive public debate about response to the disaster and future prevention.

On one "rebuilding" website I read disgraceful letters from a couple of (?) LSU professors who had apparently been paid or persuaded to write letters to CBS attempting to personally discredit Professor Kusky and the caliber of his work scientific work (shades of Lysenko?). They are presumably tenured, so can't be fired. Pity.

Respond to this message   
Tchoupitoulas
(Login Tchoupitoulas)
Members

I didn't see it

November 21 2005, 10:46 AM 

but it did read up on it on the web. What I did see was an interview with, as you put it so delicately JCG ONE scientist.

Seems to me I have been reading about this for years, at least since my geology classes in college....the wasting away of the wetlands and the natural course of the Mississippi and how we try to stop it and redirect it course, move it etc....and for YEARS now we have also been complaining out the erosion of our wetlands...apparently to deaf ears. So now you got this one guy (excuse me, Scientist) who says we'll need 30 feet of wall by 2095? Hellooooooo, how one sided is this? I can give you one Scientist that says we'll be hit by a meteor by 2095 and the whole Earth will explode so why do anything about anything?. Sorry to go on...it just hits a nurve is all.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Home Page  
Find more forums on Cooking & RecipesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

New Orleans Links

Visit The Nostalgic New Orleans Collection Shop

Forums Index       Food Blog       Food Forum       Nostalgia       Recipes       Soap Box       Pets       Books       Visual Media       Reviews       Tours       Abbreviations

Advertise on this site   Recover Your Password   Contact Mr. Lake
New Orleans Websites   Advertisements:

Support the Locals
By using the following links you will support local authors & entrepreneurs while helping to pay the forum rent -- and it won't cost you a penny more.

The Nostalgic New Orleans Collection Shop
The Past in the Present

Northshore Tennis

Metairie
Catherine Campanella
Order online at Octavia Books
or Order at Amazon.com

Lake Pontchartrain
Catherine Campanella
or Order at Amazon.com

Ruby Slippers
Amy Cyrex Sins
or Order at Amazon

Gumbo Tales
Sarah Roahen
or Order at Amazon

Books by Poppy Z. Brite
or Order at Amazon.com

And the nonlocals:
Just about anything you might want can now be found on Amazon. Begin your search here.

Cheese:
Cheese and More

Various Food Items:
New Orleans Seafood Boil Supplies
Ethel M Confections
Port Chatham Smoked Seafood

Gifts:
Harry and David
Wine Country Gift Baskets

Sewing:
Sewing Products

Today's Deals at Amazon

Everything New Orleans

eXTReMe Tracker

This site uses cookies and/or web beacons to collect data in the ad serving process.