Return to Index  

Yes, I like #8, sort of,

January 13 2012 at 5:57 PM

(Login EduardoJB)

Response to That's a lot to take in.

I was indeed pushing the PP just to prove that with PP maybe even the most insignificant photo can turn it around, if not into something "beautiful", at least interesting. Same thing with #11, which I like more. See... I've been looking at photo magazines wondering how do they do it, which I still really don't know. It was sort of an unplanned process that probably I wouldn't be able to duplicate. Just pushed and pushed. Honestly, I get tired of seeing the same type of processing in every magazine and was curious. So, it's not as if I like it because I think it's "good", but more like the joy in the process of just fooling around, and then being able to say "why not?". But, I'm not lying to myself. I know it looks more like an illustration. Again, I think it's the "why not?" factor in play here.

#2 was really like an unresolved conflict I've had for years. I've fought against the shock value, but this time I saw something else. The man, yes, is probably miserable, but he looked so peaceful, as if while sleeping all his problems go away. So, I asked myself what was I showing. Misery or peacefulness? I think peacefulness won. That comment of yours about recording is similar to what the Bang Bang Club did... They witnessed but judged themselves later, and in Carter's case, too hard with himself, too much guilt (?).

And, the last one... anticipated luck, or, as they say, "educated accident". Strange situation: a glass front and inside a column covered with a mirror. The small camera with slow auto-focusing and the blown highlights (there was still no RAW conversion for this camera in my software when I took the photo).

BTW, I bought the Maier book, very good. Lots of questions. Why does a person takes so many photos and doesn't show them? Do you remember that comment about some photos not meant to be shown? Well, in this case the whole thing is still more interesting. There's a thrill in taking a photo that is separate from showing (or for that matter, printing) the photo. And Ms. Vivian apparently went for the first one. And I can understand that perfectly. It's like going hunting but not "killing". I ignore if somebody has written about this, but it'd be an interesting psychological study.

Respond to this message   
ThePuristS.com Home Page