Return to Index  

Sharpness

June 8 2012 at 9:47 AM
Jeff Warden  (Login jawarden)

Hi all,

So I went back to the Navy Yard this week and tried a) using a tripod, and b) locking up the mirror and rear shutter to reduce vibration. So these are sharper. I'm starting to learn where the limits of this camera are for hand holding and that's good. Thankfully I can still use it for most occasions without the dreaded tripod, but when you need it, you need it.

Sharpness on the negative and a sharp scan are two very different things. Looking at the negatives I'm confident that they're as sharp as can be and will make very detailed, clear prints. But scanning and post processing introduce two more opportunities for image degradation. There isn't much to be done about the scanning, i.e. the quality of the scanner gives you an image, for better or worse, and it can only be so good given the quality of the scanner.

That leaves post processing. For these I cropped lightly and adjusted the levels. That left images that were about 5,000 pixels across (although I've experimented with much larger scans, like 14,000 pixels, just for fun). I sharpened the edges very lightly, resized the image to what you see here, and sharpened again, very lightly. Sharpening is some kind of dark magic as far as I'm concerned, and I always feel like I'm overdoing it, even when I can barely tell a difference between the pre and post sharpening. At any rate, this is what I've got. Too much sharpening?

Have a good weekend everyone,

Jeff

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page