Return to Index  

Finding the limits of the 80mm

June 25 2012 at 12:22 PM
jeff warden  (Login jawarden)

Hi all,

This lens (the Carl Zeiss Hasselblad 80 F2.8 CF T*) is good. Better than good, actually, and has served professionals very well for decades. So I'm not complaining. It must be me.

happy.gif

[linked image]

I took the above picture yesterday and I'm quite satisfied with it. I think I used f4, and at this camera-to-subject distance that seems about right, having enough information in sharp focus, and the grass and dirt clods in the background sufficiently out of focus. I'm going to wet print this one.

Now after making that image Owen started climbing and I made this quick snap to finish the roll. Not a great image I know, but it shows something:

[linked image]

See the problem? Here it is closer:

[linked image]

There are about a thousand pentagons on this negative, haha! I knew this lens iris had five blades before buying it, and 'bokeh' wasn't one of my highest priorities for this camera anyway so it's not a big deal. It's just a limitation I need to be aware of. If the lens is wide open there is no problem because the blades are out of the way completely, but I generally don't shoot wide open. This was just one of those occasions (bright, small points of light) where the blades are visible. Again and again and again . . . happy.gif I should do a quick test to see what this scene would have looked like stopped down some more, or opened all the way. Always something to learn.

Cheers,

Jeff

Respond to this message   
Responses

ThePuristS.com Home Page