Return to Index  

Documentary on Tom Wood

March 9 2014 at 12:29 AM

Casey  (Login shimokita)

"I'm not trying to document anything, I am asking a question. It is more about deciphering and transforming. You don't call a poet, a documentary poet, because they write about life, so why a photographer?"
- Tom Wood

Tom Wood was born in 1951 in County Mayo in the west of Ireland. He lived and worked on Merseyside between 1978 and 2003 before he moved to his current home in North Wales. Wood has published numerous books, including "Bus Odyssey", "People", "All Zones Off Peak", "Looking for Love", "Photie Man", and "Men and Women".

Wood photographed working class Liverpool for many years although his primary interest is not documentary. He trained as a painter and his photography explores various themes in a flexible approach. He uses b&w film as well as (since 1976) color negative film.

On a personal level I like that Wood quote "I'm not trying to document anything..." because in part it defines the photographer... in a way you are what you eat wink.gif. It helps to clarify why we make photos.

Documentary on Tom Wood at the following links (total length of part 1&2 30min):

What Do Artists Do All Day? Part 1 and Part 2

Hope you can enjoy...
Casey

Respond to this message   
ThePuristS.com Home Page