<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Not really my thing,

April 21 2012 at 2:13 PM

(Login EduardoJB)

But this is part of what I've working with lately. Not "artistic" photos... Mostly "informative"
#2-8 with a new camera. Broken pockets... But very happy with it. My 7D had started to behave erratically, and I just had no time to send it for repairs.
(Which was a good excuse for the new camera). And, heck, I also need to replace the 4 car tires.

1. Panoramic view of the entrance to Old San Juan, taken from the San Cristóbal fort.

[linked image]

2. The Capitol's dome, seen from below

[linked image]

3. The Capitol's dome, taken from "holes" in the dome's frieze

[linked image]

4. The Capitol's dome (a double dome, much like Florence's Santa Maria die Fiore). The stairs go up to the lantern

[linked image]

5. The Dome's stained glass window on top, seen from the lantern's stairs

[linked image]

6. View from the dome's frieze

[linked image]

7. And... My usual thing

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login jawarden)

Cool dome.

April 21 2012, 4:47 PM 

I like the image of the stairs going to the second dome, Eduardo. I imagine most folks that see the dome from underneath the stained glass have no idea.

A new camera? What is it?

Jeff

Respond to this message   

Casey
(Login shimokita)
Photography forum moderator

what a great project

April 21 2012, 6:01 PM 

getting access to restricted areas and getting to crawl around with a camera... hahaha almost worth paying for wink.gif

frieze: the part of a classical entablature between the architrave and the cornice, that makes it all clear...

I like the exposure and detail on the fourth image... and what is not to like about a "Crepe & Wine Night" (number 7). Great thread, images, and camera update.... since you are a Canon guy, I am wondering how you like the 5DIII????? Maybe another thread, and for now I just enjoy the posted images.

Casey

Respond to this message   

(Login EduardoJB)

Jeff, Casey,

April 21 2012, 7:43 PM 

It's been quite a project. I'd need lots of space to talk about it. The worst part: we don't get paid (at least for now). The best parts: knowledge and exposition. It has been a wonderful education.

Ahhh... What the heck... It's an exhibition in the open of drawings from Old San Juan and the San Juan islet (done by friends who dedicate their free time to it, and if Kelvin allows it, I will post a link to their Facebook page: it's a non-profit society), and I'm supplying the photos. 50 buildings in 4 x 6 feet boards for at least 3 months plus 6 boards of my photos (without drawings), 8 of their drawings (without photos) and the introduction and map boards. Total: 70 panels. I'm doing the whole graphic design and layout of the panels and the general coordination. Suddenly I'm the boss of something I didn't plan. It was supposed to start on May and it will (we hope) be partly funded by the government's Tourism Company. These two guys who do the drawings use photogrammetry and the drawings are gorgeous. This is why I've been away. As soon as this becomes a certain future reality I'll post some of the boards (still in preliminary stage, the drawings need line weight tweaking for that size, so I'm using them at a fixed weight, which doesn't look so good). Another one (we're four) is doing all the historic research. We even have plans for a book and... lots of other things. As good as it gets: Photography, Architecture, Drawings and History.

Yep, restricted alright. There was no way to realize this was a double dome. As you can see, the concrete was poured and left to dry while flowing down. The place is a bit creepy and scary. My friends have gone where no one really goes ever: underground tunnels in the forts, cisterns, you name it. And the historic things we're learning are really really interesting.

Casey, you're right. 5D Mark III. Haven't experienced the light leak yet, but I found out about it while my camera was in transit. Finally full-frame. The 7D started acting strange: error messages: turn off the camera, re-install the batteries, etc. I cleaned all the contacts and it worked fine for a weekend, then the next one, again the same thing. I've only used the 5D for the outing these photos are from. Will do it again tomorrow. So far, so good. Lots of comparisons on the web with Nikon's 800D's 37 megapixels, some of them with very opposite verdicts, so you end up not really knowing who to trust, but for me, owning all those lenses, it had to be Canon, of course. I really like it, but then again, I'd never owned a full-frame ever, so I can't say how it stacks up against others.

It'd be a pleasure to share everything with you all once we get the final go-ahead. They still haven't officially accepted our proposal but, since time was very short, we started working without assurance. It's really not lost work, something will come out of it if the exhibition doesn't happen (we can do it someplace else, who knows). So. I already have 60 panels started and almost ready (56 in this screen shot):

[linked image]

Will post more info later. We still have ground to cover.

Respond to this message   

(Login watchy)

Lovely shots of the dome and congrats on the 5D III.Saw one last week in Santorini,with ..

April 22 2012, 4:34 AM 

Japanese tourist .

Respond to this message   

(Login Echi)

My favorite is #4...

April 22 2012, 6:51 PM 

as it relates to the whole series.

I'm really happy and excited for you. Is #4 something that you won't be able to have access to if you weren't doing this project?

#5 is an interesting perspective as well. Magical in a way. Do you need to have that steel frame across? Supports the dome?

Respond to this message   

(Login EduardoJB)

Yes...

April 22 2012, 7:26 PM 

Not ever in my wildest dreams could I have had access to this place. But the architect restoring part of the Capitol is a friend of mine, so... Besides the two friends doing the drawings had been before to take the lantern's info.

The circular stained glass oculus is not that large in diameter. I suppose the frame is to hold the strengthen the steel ring and also as support for the lamps.

It's been sort of a wild but interesting ride. All the haste and time consumed, like an intensive course. I've learned about so many historical things... Pirate attacks, tunnels, demolished chapels, walls, bastions... Things like how sometimes all the structures close to the shore were painted white at times to scare off pirates at night (making them believe the city was larger than it was), why churches were usually located in high places (to be used also as watch posts), why powder magazines had what we all along thought were chimneys (nobody really knew why; the answer: they were not chimneys but towers to place lightning rods - as plain as that. It was thought that they were made to look like chimneys so that attacking enemies would thought they were mere kitchens), etc.

Thanks. I hope it finally becomes a reality.

Respond to this message   

(Login EduardoJB)

BTW...

April 22 2012, 7:29 PM 

If you look at #3, you can notice the cross bars above the stained glass.

Respond to this message   

(Login Echi)

I see,,,

April 22 2012, 11:22 PM 

Lots of info there. Very interesting indeed. Well, it can only lead to something good wink.gif

www.raulechivarre.com

Respond to this message   
Jeff Warden
(Login jawarden)

oh boy >

April 23 2012, 11:10 AM 

Now that you mentioned being able to see the crossbars through the glass in image #3 I'm getting vertigo when I look at 3 and 5! (I hate heights)

Jeff

Respond to this message   

(Login phase-de-lune.net)

Very impressive

April 25 2012, 10:05 AM 

Specially the one in the dome.
A chance for you to go there.

Deniz

Respond to this message   

(Login EduardoJB)

Thanks Deniz.

April 28 2012, 10:18 AM 

Sort of a privilege

Respond to this message   

(Login warcat06)

Nice , are you going to do any work on the dome or underneath? nt.

April 27 2012, 9:30 PM 

Regards,
Wish

" Live Well, It Is The Greastest Revenge'

Respond to this message   

(Login EduardoJB)

Nope

April 28 2012, 10:18 AM 

We are just taking photos and drawings. No architectural work.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Not really my thing,
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page