<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

the 10 floor

August 31 2012 at 6:53 AM

Casey  (Login shimokita)
Photography forum moderator

Looking toward Shinjuku from the apartment complex my friend's parents... about 10 minutes by bicycle from home wink.gif.

10F (c) shimokita

using 50mm and YA2 filter
Thanks for looking,
Casey

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Eduardo
(Login EduardoJB)

Aaah, the cropping dilemma

August 31 2012, 7:16 AM 

Did you went through it?

I think you made the right decision. That almost overexposed foreground is what gives depth to the photo, and also a bit of intimacy and "reality": "this is a real city".
Nice...

Respond to this message   

Casey
(Login shimokita)

this is almost the entire frame...

August 31 2012, 7:37 AM 

I cropped a little but only because I rotated the image slightly to correct the horizon. I have a version with the city skyline only but it's a bit "thin". Photos as reality is becoming a difficult concept to grasp recently... Soon you will find me playing with color again and wishing I was back with b&w wink.gif.

The good news is that I will take a short holiday next weekend and take some nature photos by the lake.

Casey

Respond to this message   
Echi
(Login Echi)

Are those powerlines across the sky?

August 31 2012, 9:43 AM 

Wow. I agree with Eduardo aboutit being a 'real city' with that foreground. I need to learn these filter thingies.

www.raulechivarre.com

Respond to this message   

Casey
(Login shimokita)

yes... long powerlines...

September 1 2012, 5:45 PM 

I edited out some of the overhead power line spacers as they were a bit outstanding. Never say never when editing wink.gif.

The filter thingie is not that difficult and I only carry a few: Protect, MC-Y2 (multi-coat yellow), MC-YA2 (orange), R2 (red), and PL (or CPL for digital). I have a Po1 (green) but don't use it.

The yellow, orange, and red are mostly for the sky (b&w film). I guess they would work with digital monochrome in post processing. The PL/CPL for the sky and reflected water (b&w/color film/digital).

I have read that a PL+Red is good to reduce haze with b&w film, but I have not tried it. 95% of the time I use a yellow filter.

Casey

Respond to this message   
Echi
(Login Echi)

Will have to get pointers from you...

September 1 2012, 6:43 PM 

If and when.

Thanks!

www.raulechivarre.com

Respond to this message   

Casey
(Login shimokita)

double post

September 1 2012, 7:14 PM 

Hi Echi... Quite often recently your replies and posts are double. Mobile app problem. I also see this on social media sites with mobile users... Just in case you didn't notice it wink.gif

Casey

Respond to this message   
Echi
(Login Echi)

Noticed it with the ipad...

September 1 2012, 8:02 PM 

For the past few days, i have been unable to post comments on fb. No reply button for some reason so i hit 'return' a few times to no avail. Then there are those times that the connection would be slow when posting replies ... Hope it doesnt inconvenience you big time:)

www.raulechivarre.com

Respond to this message   

Casey
(Login shimokita)

no inconvenience at all... ;-)

September 2 2012, 6:43 AM 

just wanted to make sure you noticed the double posts... For sure sometimes the connection (to where ever) runs slow for what ever reason and a double punch on the post/respond/reply button will normally generate multiple posts.

Sometimes the connection just hangs in mid process and I can't do anything. When I cancel and restart the post is there... go figure. It's got to the point where I normally compose my post/reply in notepad and copy&paste into what ever I am working on (TP, FB, RRF...).

If/when I see it, I normally delete the duplicate post.

Casey

Respond to this message   
Jeff warden
(Login jawarden)

The filter was a good choice I think.

August 31 2012, 3:51 PM 

You got the sky, but it didn't go too contrasty. Last year I experimented with a heavy red filter on a day with a similar sky and hated it (the sky went almost black with cottony white clouds which looked too Ansel Adams-ish). Now I have an expensive red filter I never use happy.gif

I agree with the comments about including the reality of the lower quarter of the image, which I like. Wouldn't it have been great if someone were standing in the window having a smoke or something?

Great shot.

Jeff

Respond to this message   

Casey
(Login shimokita)

hahaha try the red filter again...

September 1 2012, 5:54 PM 

with fujifilm wink.gif. It really depends on the day and the situation, but a red filter can be useful (but not often used). I read that a red in combination with a PL will kill the haze... have to try that combination with ISO400...

I like the idea of someone in the window... shall I knock on the door and make a request wink.gif. This weekend we have rain so the wonderful clouds are gone... but hopefully they will come back. Cold weather expected in October... Next weekend I will be at the lake for a well needed break. Maybe I take the rangefinder this trip.

Casey

Respond to this message   

Pete Saunders
(Login ongopt)

Sweeping view! Nice B&W tones. :)

September 3 2012, 3:49 PM 

happy.gif

Respond to this message   

Casey
(Login shimokita)

thanks Pete... I have to try an evening shot sometime (nt)

September 4 2012, 12:56 AM 

nt

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
ThePuristS.com Home Page