<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Documentary on Bruce Gilden

April 5 2014 at 2:49 PM

Casey  (Login shimokita)

"I'm known for taking pictures very close, and the older I get, the closer I get."
- Bruce Gilden

Gilden (b 1946) is a known for his street work in New York City. While studying sociology at university, he was influenced by Michelangelo Antonioni's film "Blowup" (1968) and began taking night classes in photography. He routinely uses a flash... - Wikipedia

The opening quote is one that is most often repeated... but I kind of like the following from Gilden: "I'm photographing myself out there. Not myself physically, but mentally. Its my take on the world." It reminds me of that quote from a couple of weeks ago... "I'm not trying to document anything, I am asking a question. It is more about deciphering and transforming. You don't call a poet, a documentary poet, because they write about life, so why a photographer?" - Tom Wood. It's a refreshing way to consider your personal (photographic) work.

Gilden is often thought of in terms of his NY street photography but he has also done extensive work in Haiti (no fewer than 19 trip between 1984 and 1995) as well as shooting foreclosures in Detroit, Fresno and Las Vegas. People tend to love him or hate him. - various sources

Documentary on Bruce Gilden at the following link (length 8 min - small amount of Swedish narration):

Walking around New York (2014)

Hope you can enjoy...
Casey

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
ThePuristS.com Home Page