Forums Index       Food Blog       Today in New Orleans History       New Orleans Past       The Nostalgic New Orleans Collection       The Yat Map       Send a New Orleans eCard
Forums Index    Food Forum    Nostalgia    Recipes    Soap Box    Pets    Books    Visual Media    Reviews    Tours    Abbreviations    Gardening

Everything New Orleans

---------------------------------

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Home  

For JCG (and Others)

January 31 2007 at 10:01 PM
Towanda!  (no login)
from IP address 65.1.86.166

You might find the following website interesting, especiallying as it contains first-person accounts by people who were children during the war....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/categories/c1162/index.shtml

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Towanda!
(no login)

OR Try This

January 31 2007, 10:04 PM 

Had a little trouble getting back there, but you can also get to the "children's section" through the following:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/

Respond to this message   
JCG
(no login)

Thank you kindly for that interesting link, Towanda....

February 1 2007, 6:55 AM 

... I'm not sure whether I want to relive all that, bomb burst by bomb burst; but I'll take a browse through it at the weekend. I nearly got terminated several times by the Blitz, V-1s (flying bombs), and V-2s (rockets, sort of forerunners of the mideastern SCUDs, but more powerful and efficient)!

The last, which we enjoyed about 5 years after the Blitz, were the really frightening "terror" weapons of that time (for they were clearly directed at civilain populations, for no legitimate military reason; and they descended on our city 24/7 without any air raid warning - sometimes, literally, out of a clear blue sky). Years later, in America, I had the somewhat creepy experience of meeting Dr Wernher von Braun, the V-2's designer, and talking to him about what it was like to be on the receiving end!

So far, I've only met one another London Blitz survivor in New Orleans. Andre Trevigne interviewed us a few years ago (pre-K) in her old (WWL-870 AM) talk show. More recently, the D-Day Museum had me record an oral history of what it was like to be a child in London during the Blitz (in which my father lost his business and our family lost our, my childhood home - although, amazingly, we all survived. It was London's Katrina, so to speak).

Last September (post-K), the D-Day (now the National World War II) Museum included me in a presentation about the Battle of Britain (some of which I had gratefully witnessed from the ground - aware even as a boy that our few brave RAF and Allied airmen were dying in the sky to save our city from the Luiftwaffe and, essentially, to prevent a Nazi invasion that could have cost us the war and many more of our lives).

The 2006 presentation was mainly for New Orleans families with children from about the age that I had been during the Blitz and the Battle (9) through early teens. They were very interested in comparing notes about that experience and parallels in reactions, survival and recovery during Katrina and the Army-engineered flood.

Respond to this message   
Towanda!
(no login)

Experiences

February 1 2007, 7:16 AM 

Because we each see things through the "lens" of our personality and our stage of life, each individual's experience of history is unique. I am so glad that technology, etc. is such that you and so many others like you can share your perspective in such a way that it will be alive for many many years to come! Also glad that you are willing to do so, for it certainly does have its painful aspect as well.

The website mentioned has people sharing 60 or so different topics. I hope you find something interesting there!

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - For JCG (and Others)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Home  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

New Orleans Links

Visit The Nostalgic New Orleans Collection Shop

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Locations of visitors to this page

Recover Your Password

Contact Mr. Lake

Forums Index       Food Blog       Food Forum       Nostalgia       Recipes       Soap Box       Pets       Books       Visual Media       Reviews       Tours       Abbreviations