Forums Index       Food Blog       Today in New Orleans History       New Orleans Past       The Nostalgic New Orleans Collection       The Yat Map       Send a New Orleans eCard
Forums Index    Food Forum    Nostalgia    Recipes    Soap Box    Pets    Books    Visual Media    Reviews    Tours    Abbreviations    Gardening

Everything New Orleans

---------------------------------

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Home  

Speakin' of old-time remedies

March 11 2008 at 8:44 PM

Rita  (Login ersatzrat)
Members
from IP address 70.180.125.33

who can remember the name of the OTC drug for relief of neuralgia and neuritis? I'm racking my brains today 'cause I think I have a need for it. It's not at the drug stores, but I might find it at the Vermont Country Store like I find all kinds of otherwise passé drugs.

Could it be Miles Nervine? Was there another kind? How many old remedies for it can you remember?

"Liquidum non frangit jejunum." ([chocolate] liquids, amongst them, do not constitute a break in fasting.)
-Cardinal Francis Maria Brancaccio of the Vatican, 1662-

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
NOOAWLINSMA
(Login NOOAWLINSMA)
Members

I don't remember any of the names

March 12 2008, 8:10 AM 

nm

Respond to this message   

OkieYat
(Login OKYat)
Members

I think it was Miles Nervine

March 12 2008, 9:55 AM 

According to Wikipedia, it was good for:
"nervous" ailments (including "nervousness or nervous exhaustion, sleeplessness, hysteria, headache, neuralgia, backache, pain, epilepsy, spasms, fits, and St. Vitus' dance") "

And I remember that Blue Jay gives you fast relief for corns, calluses, bunions and sore feet.

Respond to this message   
maria
(Login maria1919)
Members

Looking for Miles Nervine

March 14 2008, 3:05 PM 

I am having a few fits.

Respond to this message   
bunniegirl
(Login bunniegirl)

Question

March 12 2008, 11:50 AM 

What are/were Carter's Little Pills?

Respond to this message   

schatze
(Login schatze311)

Liver Pills

March 12 2008, 1:30 PM 

Doan's backache pills were a "Mild diuretic through the kidneys". I always wondered how that would have worked through something else besides kidneys? " A mild diuretic" though the nose?

schatze
Free Image Hosting at allyoucanupload.com

Respond to this message   
maria
(Login maria1919)
Members

I am screaming

March 12 2008, 1:59 PM 

My staff and I had a joke going for a while about Carter's little pills. We would ask customers if they have heard of them. Most had. We would ask "who was Carter?" People would immediately go into thinking mode and say a variety of things. Most responses were "the guy who made them" or some would say "I guess the pharmacist". We would laugh our asses off at this. It was kind of like a candid camera thing. You probably had to be there.

What is St Vitus (?) dance?

Oh, I can see that I will have fun with this one

Respond to this message   

OkieYat
(Login OKYat)
Members

St. Vitus Dance is the term my mother used

March 12 2008, 4:15 PM 

for the dances that were popular in the '60s, such as the jerk, the pony, the frug, the mashed potato, etc.

It is also a medical condition:
Chorea sancti viti (Latin for "St. Vitus' dance") is an abnormal involuntary movement disorder, one of a group of neurological disorders called dyskinesias. The term chorea is derived from a Greek word ÷ïñåßá (a kind of dance, see chorea), as the quick movements of the feet or hands are vaguely comparable to dancing or piano playing. (Wikipedia)

Respond to this message   

schatze
(Login schatze311)

It's "Natures" spelled backwards

March 12 2008, 4:26 PM 

So it must have been good.

schatze
Free Image Hosting at allyoucanupload.com

Respond to this message   

Inquiring Minds
(Login Inquiring_Minds)
Members

I'd love to see the ingredient list

March 12 2008, 8:17 PM 

for Dr Miles' Nervine that it could treat all those symptoms, especially "hysteria" which I have experienced often while rearing two sons!

I, too, have been known to be an awful crab, as has my older son who we lovingly refer to as Crabby Appleton.

This message has been edited by Inquiring_Minds from IP address 72.24.8.113 on Mar 12, 2008 8:21 PM

Respond to this message   
maria
(Login maria1919)
Members

This is halarious

March 12 2008, 10:06 PM 

how can that stuff cure hysteria? If so, I could use some from time to time.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Home  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

New Orleans Links

Visit The Nostalgic New Orleans Collection Shop

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Locations of visitors to this page

Recover Your Password

Contact Mr. Lake

Forums Index       Food Blog       Food Forum       Nostalgia       Recipes       Soap Box       Pets       Books       Visual Media       Reviews       Tours       Abbreviations