Forums for all who enjoy sharing information about New Orleans food, drink, history...                       
Forums Index   Food   Nostalgia   Recipes   Soap Box   Pets   Books   Media   Reviews   Gardening   Abbreviations   Food Blog   WAG   TWS

Support the Locals

By using the following links you will support local businesses, authors, & entrepreneurs and help to pay the forum rent -- and it won't cost you a penny more.

The Nostalgic New Orleans Collection Shop

Northshore Tennis

Lake Pontchartrain
Catherine Campanella
Order online at Octavia Books
(Support the Locals)

or Order at Amazon.com

Ruby Slippers
Amy Cyrex Sins
(Support the Locals)

or Order at Amazon

Gumbo Tales
Sarah Roahen
or Order at Amazon

Books by Poppy Z. Brite
or Order at Amazon.com

And the nonlocals:
Just about anything you might want can now be found on Amazon. Begin your search here.

Cheese:
Cheese and More

Various Food Items:
New Orleans Seafood Boil Supplies
Ethel M Confections
Port Chatham Smoked Seafood

Gifts:
Harry and David
Wine Country Gift Baskets

Sewing:
Sewing Products

Today's Deals at Amazon

Restaurant Reviews

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to the Forum Home  

Mansur's in Baton Rouge

October 25 2006 at 4:31 PM
  (Login ArthurHebert)
from IP address 70.179.248.217

ABOUT AND BEYOND

Mansurís on the Boulevard
5720 Corporate Boulevard
Baton Rouge LA
225-923-3366
www.mansursontheboulevard.com

Monday - Saturday 11:00 A.M. - 2:00 P.M. $3 to $30
5:00 P.M. - till
Sunday 11:00 A.M. - 2:00 P.M.

The last couple of times gong into New Orleans I stopped for lunch at this Baton Rouge Creole style restaurant. Newly constructed on Corporate Blvd look for the small tower with the name of it. A brick and masonry exterior leads into an interior which possesses many rooms. Most have yellow stucco walls with brick columns interspaced in them. A post and beam ceiling stands over a stone tile floor. Mahogany colored slat back wood chairs surround white linen table settings.

They bring a nice loaf of French breed to begin with. First time in I went with Cream of Brie and Crabmeat soup. The only negative thing about it was I encounter some shell compartment fragments. Otherwise it tasted wonderful. The richness of the Brie highlighted the sweetness of the crab. Next I had a half dozen Charbroiled Oysters. It consisted of oysters on the half shell covered with a cheesy buttery sauce then put directly on a grill and cooked. They had acquired a nice smoky flavor and went down a treat. They provided plenty of bread to soak up the juices. I choose Crab Cakes Covington for my entree. A pair of very crisp and light cakes with lots of crabmeat served with a spicy remoulade sauce and a tomato corn relish. The relish paired well with the crab, quite a nice marriage of flavors. Dessert was rather large Caramel Custard done just right. Sometimes these things get overcooked and rubbery. This one proved perfect if somewhat overwhelming.

The second round started with Dixie Bleus Asparagus Spears. It consisted of crisp crusted deep fat fried asparagus used to make a stockade for a container of blue cheese dressing. The contrast of the non-greasy crust, grassy flavor of the spears, and tangy blue cheese made for a light and refreshing start to the meal. Next came the Gumbo of the Day. Venison sausage and chicken in an excellent broth with a dark roux and just the right level of spice. This time I went for the Cedar Roasted Red Fish. The charred cedar plank bridged the plate. On top a nice fillet of perfectly cooked fish in a lemon caper butter sauce. The flavorful crust hid a moist and flaky interior. Underneath linguine and steamed mixed vegetables soaked up the sauce, which make for delicious eating. This time for dessert I went with a scoop of in house Mango Sorbet. Cool and refreshing without being too sweet. A perfect end to a perfect meal.

This establishment has to be a Baton Rouge gem of a joint. The variety of rooms means you can come casual or as dressed up as you like to get a taste of this wonderful food. So the next time you are in that city please try this place. You will not be disappointed

You can contact me at aboutandbeyond@cox.net with any comments, thoughts or suggestions.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=10525100&uid=4293084&members=1

Arthur "The Bear" Hebert
Omnivorus and Loving It

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Mansur's in Baton Rouge
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to the Forum Home  

Advertise on this site   Recover Your Password   Contact Mr. Lake