UNOFFICIAL OWHA (GIRLS ICE HOCKEY)

Return to Index  

So you say ...

December 8 2004 at 6:18 PM
No score for this post
Lex  (no login)
from IP address 64.229.25.119

Response to Maybe it's just me..........

"A standard rep boys Bantam game is 3-15 minute periods with a flood." Where I live the standard rep boys Atom game is 3 - 15 minute periods with a flood! It is so inherently unfair when compared to the best female Midget hockey as being 12 - 12 - 15 that it is hard to know where to start the discussion.

I appreciate there is a balance of many agendas which all stakeholders are attempting to achieve. It is certainly better than the 10 - 10 - 10 hockey all girls (from house league to the AA division) played up until about 5 years ago. But it can still improve.

More ice time, on the other hand, drives up the price of the hockey - and we see in recent newspaper articles what that has done to the boys game. By the same token the excuse that girls hockey came to many communities long after boys hockey, figure skating and ringette (so we get the left over ice time) is just that - an excuse, and it shouldn't be tolerated.

Like other posters, I agree that a better balance can be found in fewer (but lengthier) games and more practices. I expect the Prof, OUA Dad and Clarkson Dad could weigh in on this one. I suspect their daughters played the usual 1 (and some weeks 2) practices per week, with 1 or 2 games while playing club hockey. In College or University the players are on the ice 6 days out of 7, and of those 6 days there would be only 1 and maybe 2 games. I don't know, but suspect, their skill level and stamina have increased many fold as a result.

In the world of minor hockey, that much ice time would be prohibitively expensive. By the same token the number of games played per season noted by others (generally between 70 and 80) is my experience as well. And for what, a Provincial Final that features a 10 - 10 - 10 format. It is too many games. 50 or 60 games per season tops (I think the NCAA rules provide for 34 including regular season, exhibition and tournament games, and excluding play-offs, but can be corrected on this) with a minimum 15 - 15 - 15 format should be the norm. Less time in the game does not reward the well conditioned athlete (isn't being physically fit one of the objectives of sport?) and subjects the result of the game to, in some cases, dumb luck.

As for the refs, I have shared your views in the past, but I don't know if I am getting soft or more patient as the years roll by, but it is my impression the reffing is improved this year (absent our goalie being run over recently with no call at all!) I don't know if the OWHA, or the Leagues have mandated a program of physical fitness (ref, make a wrong call or more every game, no problem, we all screw up. Can't, or won't, keep up with play - BIG problem) or attentiveness to the rules as they specifically apply to the girls game. If they haven't, they certainly should. The one area of reffing that can be addressed is in the area of consistency. Why is it that some arenas are known for refs who can't find their whistle, until it is too late, and in others the ref can't stop blowing it! All should talk with the players, instructing them during the play etc. I was pleased to see a ref post recently he practiced that, but too many don't.

The CHA and OHF provide governance for minor hockey in Ontario, but we need the OWHA to put a specific program in place which ensures qualified refs are available, and that a sustainable development program is in place for refs to learn their tasks and be reasonably supervised in doing so. I suspect such programs are in place to some degree, but more needs to be done specifically in this area.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Qualified Refs.... - unofficial on Dec 14, 2004, 9:20 AM
    1. Common sense - Troubled on Jan 4, 2005, 7:04 PM

Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Where your opinion counts!!!! and so much more!