UNOFFICIAL OWHA (GIRLS ICE HOCKEY)

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Whats North Metro Thinking ??

October 30 2003 at 2:28 PM
No score for this post
Anonymous  (Login HockeyCDA)
from IP address 65.92.30.85

In the recent rumour mill, it appears North Metro is proposing a new bylaw to be implemented next season stating that "first year Midget age players will NOT be allowed to play Junior" Since when do leagues dictate who is allowed to play. With Hockey Canada changing the ages for Midget to 15-17yrs, North Metro has no right to even consider this. At the Junior level, all the coaches want to ice the best team possible, and if this bylaw is passed, it will now force these coaches to settle for Intermediate age players that may not be as talented as some first year midget age players, thus killing the level of competition in the Junior divisions.

If this is allowed to happen, where does this end. This is a rule that the associations should be in charge of implementing, not the leagues. North Metro is going to be voting on this rule in November, and if passed, it will be a sad day for the Junior division.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
statsy
(Login owha)
Forum Owner

Now we get some feedback!! Put your opinion out.

No score for this post
October 30 2003, 2:51 PM 

We addressed some of this issue but let's go farther. I've spent alot of time compiling stats over the past few weeks and will report them tomorrow Oct 31st(signing deadline). You may not like the figures as a parent/player but the numbers are astounding!!!Intervention is needed to preserve the high competition of Junior AA and Midget AA from th OWHA.

-statsy

Anonymous
(no login)

North Metro

No score for this post
October 30 2003, 3:34 PM 

The problem with this is North Metro dictating ages, when they should not be entitled to do so. They are now taking the role of the associations and this is not right. There are over 60 Midget teams in North Metro, but the point being, they are limiting the coaches in their selection process which is not right either, as well as trying to implement something they have no right to do.

Whats next, North Metro selecting the teams for the associations.

Go North Metro!
(Login HockeyChickRocks)

First Step NM, next step OWHA

No score for this post
October 30 2003, 3:46 PM 

Its about time the organizations sat down and looked at the 60 year old girls hockey rules and decided to change them. If the OWHA is too stubborn to "conform" to boys hockey rules, I am glad the North Metro has the guts to. 13 to 20 year old girls should not get to play together. It is just wierd. I am glad North Metro is thinking about it, because if they do, maybe the OWHA will consider doing it next. Then they can rethink some other rules too. Like I think they thought girls couldn't handle contact hockey 60 years ago, but now I am awaiting the day that they allow girls to paly contact hockey like the boys do. The boys league changes rules about the number of players on the team, time of games, etc. every year. The girls league won't chnage any rules because they think boys hockey will make fun of the league for conforming to their rules. NEWSFLASH- they make fun of us because we are still caught in the past with outdated rules... CHANGE IS GOOD AND LONG OVERDUE!!!

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: First Step NM, next step OWHA

No score for this post
October 30 2003, 4:06 PM 

The thing that makes girls hockey different from the boys is the rules. Why should the OWHA follow the same guidelines as the boys considering all the problems the boys programs have.

And this point must be clarified. The ages in question here are 15 year olds, not 13 year olds. Big difference !! This is regarding Midget age only.....not Bantam (13-14yrs) or Peewee (11-12 yrs)

It seems that everyone is in favor of this until it effects their daughter, then the rule is no good. If you talk to the majority of the Midget age players, I would almost bet 90% of them want to play at the Jr level, and if they are a first year Midget age player and make the Jr team, only to find out they cannot play because no first year Midget players are allowed to play, then how would that player feel, and would message would that send to that player....not very positive in my opinion.........but again the main point in all of this being.........the leagues dictating where players play is not right, and it wont end here trust me.

Thats the Leagues job
(Login HockeyChickRocks)

What else is a league supposed to do???

No score for this post
October 30 2003, 7:18 PM 

Ummm boys hockey has way less problems than girls just ot let you know. And for those of us out there who can't put two and two together, if first year midgets aren't allowed to play, obviously any younger kids wouldn't be allowed either, and yes, they do make up a majority of the population of junior those youngins! The league has every right to do that, i don't know what you are saying ,what else are they supposed to do!?!?

It's About Time
(Login HockeyChickRocks)

Go for it...

No score for this post
October 30 2003, 3:38 PM 

I Agree with the age restrictions. When I look at rosters and see teams like oakville with a '90 on the team and girls as old as '83 playing in Junior, it kind of makes me wonder why. If everyone just played at their own age level and in there own cities, it would make much more sense. See, when little PeeWee's start trying out for Junior teams and making it, they will spend 6-7 years on the same team. They are also taking the spots of girls who are too old to play younger, so they either must go elsewhere or cannot play at all. No offense, but the boys league is smarter than the girls league on that one. Play your own age in your own city. Half of hockey is team chemistry, where is the team chemistry between a 13-year old and a 20-year old? Please tell me? So when people say, if they are good enough, they should play older, I just think, well if everoyne just stayed where they were supposed to be, maybe the level of play at each level would be better because there would be better competition, so there would be no need to move up in the first place. Back when there wasn't enough girls to field a hockey team, I could understand. But now we have the numbers, so lets not get crazy and have teams ranging from 13 to 20.

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Go for it...

No score for this post
October 30 2003, 3:54 PM 

Well I dont know of any Peewee age players playing on any Jr team, and besides, with Hockey Canada increasing the age in Midget (15-17) and the fact that most Intermediate age players at age 18 are off to University and the double cohort factor, not many true Intermediate age players return each year, thus increasing the number of Midget age players playing Jr hockey.There is a huge over abundance of Midget age players playing right now, and girls hockey is alot different from the boys, but the bottom line in all of this is the league is now trying to dictate to the teams who they can and cannot take, where as it should be done at the association level.....and thats the point in all of this

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Re: Go for it...

No score for this post
October 30 2003, 4:25 PM 

Take the time to read the other post before resonding You were just informed that Oakville has a 90 on there team and a 89

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Re: Re: Go for it...

No score for this post
October 30 2003, 4:32 PM 

Oakville plays in the SWGHL not North Metro. North Metro does not allow Bantam age players to play, where as SWGHL does not have any rule in place.

But once again, were talking 15 year olds, not 13 year olds

Age change long overdue
(Login HockeyChickRocks)

either way...

No score for this post
October 30 2003, 7:24 PM 

Either way, i believe there has to be limits set somewhere because things will get out of hand.

Age change long overdue
(Login HockeyChickRocks)

The OWHA is stubborn

No score for this post
October 30 2003, 7:22 PM 

Well since the OWHA is stubborn and will not cahnge their rules ever, if the North Metro does it and are successful ,then maybe the OWHA will take a hint and make some adjustments. As far as age, your right, midgets and intermediates playing junior togerhter are fine, but like i said, flipping through the Solid Goal Program and lookign at the ages of some of the Junior teams made me laugh. Some teams have little Grade 8's and 9's playing with Gr.12 and first year university students. And Oakville with the 13 year old. C'mon, the line has got to be drawn somewhere. Without rules in place, no wonder things are getting out of hand!

Anonymous
(no login)

13 year olds?

No score for this post
October 30 2003, 8:15 PM 

Besides Oakville what other Jr. team has a 13 year old on its' roster???? NO OTHER TEAM HAS A 13 YEAR OLD!

Boys hockey has 14 year olds and up go on to play Jr. Hockey whether it be A,B or C IF THEY CAN MAKE IT.

Haley W. was 15 when she was on the National Team. Remeber "highchair hailey"?

A team should not be made up of one age group nor should anyone be afraid of a talented 15 year old.

GROW UP!!!!

anonymous
(no login)

You are missing the point

No score for this post
October 30 2003, 8:25 PM 

whatever merit there may be in exluding players younger than midget, please remember that Hockey Canada did not wake up one day and decide to change the age groupings including midget. The change was only made after considerable study and investigation including presentations from the hockey and medical communities. This was not a decision made in haste and for a group of uninformed persons in the NMGHL to take it upon themselves to decide that Hockey Canada was wrong and that they know better is just ludicrous.
Take this to its logical extension - should individual leagues and organizations make up their own age groupings according to their whims? This is an invitation to chaos.

statsy
(Login owha)
Forum Owner

Explain to me this!!

No score for this post
October 31 2003, 9:54 AM 

How can a team from Syracuse who is (under 16) at July 1st dominate our Midget AA teams who are up to 17 and what do you think we should do to stay up with them. It wasn't luck!!

-statsy

unofficial
(Login owha)
Forum Owner

we agree , how about OWHA!!

No score for this post
October 31 2003, 9:59 AM 

We agree, nmghl seems to be on the right track. We agree the OWHA has the responsibility and right to determine the rules. But OWHA is very slow at everything. Outside of Insurance, is there any other direct benefit to being a member. If Nmghl wants to be a catalyist to getting it done, so be it!!

-unofficial owha

See "Rush to Junior AA"

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Where your opinion counts!!!! and so much more!