Click logo to enter advertiser's site

Return to Index  

Clutch: Throwout Bearing Clearance???

September 28 2009 at 10:07 AM
  (Login kfirest)
from IP address 66.216.166.10

Hello all, My name is Keith.

I have a......
2001 Mustang GT with a Tremec 3650 (75,000 miles)!

I have a Thowout Bearing question!

When the clutch pedal isn't engaged should the TO bearing still spin? I heard that there should be about 1/8" to 1/4" play between the TO bearing and the Pressure Plate. Because of the cup like recess in the Pressure Plate center (where the TO bearing rests) I can't measure the gap because the TO bearing is resting in that gap! The Pressure Plate fingers don't look like they are engaged but yet the TO bearing spins weather cluch is pushed in or not, is this normal (or could the bearing be spinning because of friction)??

If the TO bearing isn't suppose to move at all while clutch is disengaged, how can I get enough play at the clutch fork to move the TO bearing slightly away from the Pressure Plate??
The late model Mustangs have a self adjusting quadrant located behind the pedal that automatically adjusts the clutch cable to compensate for cable and clutch wear no other adjustment is possible without an aftermarket firewall adjuster screw....so if the throwout bearing is not suppose to move while clutch is dis-engaged i'm not sure how to adjust slack into the cable!

I have messed with this all weekend to get some free play and I can't get any (I even tried a new OEM cable)!

B.T.W: The car shifts fine, no grinds and when clutch is pushed in gear engagment is butter smooth, I want to make sure i'm not wearing out my TO bearing because of it spinning!!

Thanks for the attention!!!

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement