badshoe.jpg
Click logo to enter advertiser's site

Return to Index  

Removed Thrust Washer?

May 31 2012 at 9:01 AM
Phil Kelley  (Login flawebmaster)
from IP address 67.162.162.175

Response to Re: Extra Thrust Washer

I have determined the extra washer is not in the tower section (assembled stack - sun gear to reverse high drum). Removing washers from this area does not affect the mesh depth of the input shell into the reverse high drum) nor does it affect the total length of the assembled tower itself. Everything seems fine in the tower with all clutches seated and needle bearings (front and rear of the forward planetary) in full contact. This only leaves 3 thrust bearings that could be causing the problem. One behind the reverse ring gear, one behind the rear planetary and one in front of the rear planetary. The large snap ring that holds the planetary in position fits perfectly into the groove in the reverse clutch hub, so I believe the thrust washer behind the rear planetary is OK in that position. My rear planetary is a four (4) pinion design not a three (3). My truck transmission has no small snap ring holding the output shaft. The shaft is held in position by the big bearing and the rear housing which is on the transmission at this time. This leaves the only possible culprit to be the thrust washer in front of the rear planetary. This washer would lay between the rear planetary itself and the input shell holding the sun gear. I removed this thrust washer and reinstalled the tower and the pump. I used the black (#1) selective washer behind the pump. With the pump bolts tight, I now have .020 end play. Yes, but there is no thrust washer between the input shell and the front of the rear planetary. There is a thin black shim under the sun gear itself, so the front of the planetary is not actually riding on the input shell. What do you think?

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on CarsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
bp.jpg