badshoe.jpg
Click logo to enter advertiser's site

Return to Index  

More Info

May 31 2012 at 5:59 PM
Phil Kelley  (Login flawebmaster)
from IP address 67.162.162.175

Response to Re: Removed Thrust Washer?

I purchased this transmission from a wrecking yard (1971 2WD F100), so I do not know how it worked. The end play before I took it apart was .030. I have replaced the thrust washers, clutches, steels, seals and gaskets. No hard parts. I have not upgraded anything. I measured all the thrust bearings and they are all .060" thick. There are two needle style bearings in this transmission, one in front of the front planetary and one behind the front planetary. The needle bearings are the open three piece type with a top shell, bearing and bottom shell. They are in the right postion. The tower goes together fine and the tabs mesh with about 1/8" overlap. This is a truck C6 with a 4 pinion rear planetary. The rear planetary has a thrust washer on the front and the rear. With all the thrust washers in place according to my exploded view and my shop manuals, I have zero end play with the thinnest #1 black plastic washer behind the pump. I thought I found the problem today, but it wasn't it. During the rebuild, I took out the large rear ball bearing in the tail housing for inspection. I thought that I had put it back in backwards and was driving the output shaft too far forward. This turned out not to be the case. I have the transmission apart again and am going to put the tower back in without the rear clutches, steels and one-way clutch to see if that's what's causing any problem. The one-way clutch race is definitely flush with the case and the bolts are torqued.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on CarsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
bp.jpg