I've been working on this project for a week and I've learned more about a C6 than I ever wanted to know. After assembling and disassembling the tranny at least 20 times and checking everything over and over, I believe I've found the problem. My manuals show two thrust washers (#7 & #8) between the rear planetary and the input shell. #7 is a standard copper .060" thick thrust washer and #8 is a black steel disc mounted under the sungear. I've inventoried and measured every washer comparing and matching the washers in my rebuild kit. I have come to the conclusion that this transmission did not have a copper style thrust washer #7, it only has the steel washer #8 riding on the rear planetary. The wear pattern on my planetary seems to back up this theory. I think this has to do with the fact that my transmission is a truck tranny with a 4 pinion rear planetary and the big bearing holding the output shaft in position. Now, with #7 removed and the original .078" selective thrust washer behind the pump I have .018" end play.
This message has been edited by flawebmaster from IP address 22.214.171.124 on Jun 2, 2012 10:02 AM This message has been edited by flawebmaster from IP address 126.96.36.199 on Jun 2, 2012 10:01 AM