Click logo to enter advertiser's site

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

c6 not shifting into 3rd

April 2 2004 at 11:09 PM
Snake&shake  (no login)
from IP address 66.132.6.231

I'm back! I got the c6 in the car today, and probably need some adjustments to make it run correctly, but need some suggestions.
First is strong, but not shifting too strong without moving the shift lever down. Second is strong too, but it doesn't appear to
shifting into third. OK, what did I do wrong? I know I need to adjust the shifter, because I put it in park and didn't quite get it in and
it kicked into reverse. I'm not getting the not shifting into third thing though, did I not hook up the kickdown lever right, or not hook
up the vacuum modulator right?
This is where I look to my brothers in arms for help. As always, thanks in advance for your help.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
stu
(Login stuarta)

Ok

April 2 2004, 11:13 PM 

lets start from the begining.
I don't remember what we are working on.
Or what we have done.

Respond to this message   
Snake&shake
(no login)

OK back

April 2 2004, 11:16 PM 

I'm not the guy with the c4 that shifts twice, I'm a different guy. Please help me.....

Respond to this message   
stu
(Login stuarta)

yup I know

April 2 2004, 11:20 PM 

But you have to help me.
What vehicle, engine, transmission, what has been done?
Help me and I or one of the others will do our best to help you.
If we ask a question please answer it.
We can't see you car.
Don't leave us up in the air.

Respond to this message   
Snake&shake
(no login)

got 'ya

April 2 2004, 11:29 PM 

1970 Ford Torino Cobra, 429scj c6
Just installed a fresh rebuild today I purchased from Jackson transmissions in NC. Properly filled with type fa fluid from NAPA auto store. As far as I know, I put everything on correctly, but I did notice when I went to put it away for today, that when I put it in park it popped out and tried for reverse. That I know I need to adjust, but maybe that's a sign of another problem that would keep it from shifting into third?
The only thing I did different was to add a kick down rod. I need an adapter to attach it to the carb, but it isn't depressed, the spring is keeping it up. I don't know, could you give me some suggestions?

Respond to this message   
stu
(Login stuarta)

Here we go.

April 2 2004, 11:39 PM 

First. Let's do away with the kick down rod at this point.
Remove it from the transmission and carb.

Second. Adjust the manual linkage properly.
Is this a cable style linkage? If so they have a tendency to slip into Reverse.
Ford had a recall on them.

What vacuum do you have at the modulator?
It should have lots at idle.

At what speed does the first shift come in?
That is from 1st. to second.
When you start off in low gear will it shift to second when the lever is moved?

Respond to this message   
Snake&shake
(no login)

Thanks Stu

April 2 2004, 11:54 PM 

I'll take this info down and get back to the forum probably tomorrow night after I can check it out and give you some intelligent answers. It's late and I'm pretty tired, but sincerely appreciate your help. Being tired and frustrated at the same time is not good, so a good nights sleep and a new attitude are in order. Thanks again!

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Checking on the list

April 3 2004, 8:41 PM 

Ok, the kickdown linkage is off now.
The linkage is rod type sort of like sliding section on the tranny side with an adjusting nut, just loosen and slide where you want it. It's adjusted as close as I can get it without losing park or 1st.
Vacuum is not the best, I've yet to put a gauge on it, that will come tomorrow. It's hooked up to the t at the firewall though, not at the manifold. The car doesn't make very much vacuum though, with a big cam and solid lifters, and even with the other transmission it never really seemed to shift down to first. Could lack of vacuum cause that?
It will definately shift from 1st to 2nd manually, and from 2nd to 3rd, but just doesn't seem normal. It's a little frustrating even to describe. A couple of times today, it will start out normal in drive, but won't shift from 1st to 2nd unless I manually shift down and then back up. Huh? So far it hasn't picked a shift point that it will stick with. A couple of times it felt like it was starting in 2nd and skipping 1st all together.
I'm a little frustrated/confused, to say the least.

Respond to this message   
stu
(Login stuarta)

Ok

April 3 2004, 11:08 PM 

Here's what I want you to do.
Make certain your emergency brake is working.
Adjust the linkage in Neutral.
Loosen the adjuster at the transmission.
Have an assistant hold the lever in Neutral against the Reverse stop.
Shift the transmission into Neutral. That's 2 back from Park.
Tighten the lock nut.
Try the shift points now.
By adjusting it in Park you could be placing the manual shift valve between two gears.
If this makes it work better you will have to go for a different manual lever at the transmission or another shift quadrant.
With a lowered vacuum the shift points should be very high.
I'd like to see more vacuum.
I realise it may be hard to come by.
Don't use a T block. Go right to the manifold.
What is the normal shift pattern speed?
Not grinding your toe nails off just light throttle.

Respond to this message   
Snake&shake
(no login)

Will do...

April 4 2004, 10:50 AM 

Ok I'll try adjusting it today or tomorrow, this is the last day of my vacation and I need to finish the tile work in the kitchen or I might not have a place to park my cars, if you know what I mean....
I can do everything but the test drive, it decided to snow here last night and I can't drive it in the snow with the big tires and 4.30 gears. The shift points I'll have to record on the test drives, as I just installed the tranny the other day and haven't set a baseline.
God, I sound whiney about this, but I do want to get this thing sorted out. I've had the car for 4 years now and never been truly happy with the performance. The engine has plenty of horse power, I just haven't been able to get it to the wheels properly.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement