Click logo to enter advertiser's site

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

c6 to aod swap?

August 5 2005 at 6:50 AM
  (Login jpmach1)
from IP address 208.22.119.30

I am gathering info on a C6 to AOD swap on a 351c in a mustang. The motor has 475hp/500ft#, rearend with 3.70 gears. I have, well had a c6 that was recently rebuilt and only lasted about 20 miles. The little bit I was able to run it I realized I need another gear. A few questions:

1. Would an AOD that was rebuilt be able to handle the motor (ex. B&M)
2. Is the shift pattern 1-2-D-OD-N-R-P or 1-D-OD-N-R-P.
3. Would I need another flywheel and starter
4. Would the C6 mount and crossmember work for the AOD
5. Are the lengths close to the same
6. Will the yolk and driveshaft work from the C6

I guess what I am asking is the C6 the better tranny, if not how much extra modifications would it take to bolt the AOD into place and would it perform like a C6 but with another gear.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Silverfox
(no login)

Re: c6 to aod swap?

August 5 2005, 9:27 AM 

Well, You could build an AOD to hold that power - but you won't get 4th gear. 4th is WEAK and should never be used as a solid gear for motivation with exception of hiway over 45mph and crusing. The OD band is just not tough enough. There are some folks trying to make AOD/E/4R's to have a super strong 4th but it requires some mods like better bands and HUGE holding servo area. BUT IMHO I would not move to an AOD because you need another gear. YOu need to change the rear out if that is the case.

As for the swap info, I have never gone from c6 to aod so I can't help y ou rigth now with that. As for size - c6 is MONSTER compared to aod and the mounts are different and the flywheel. You will also have to use a TB or carb setup to run the TV cable on the AOD (no vaccum)

I will add my .02 here and say if you want a reliable/strong tranny and still want an OD I would consider the 4R70W with the Baumann TCS stand alone electronic controler. The FACTORY 4.2 V6 4R70W is rated at 400hp, with a few mods it will hold 1000 if you want it too. Check out:
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html#
http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article111.html
http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article80.html
FOr starters..

Respond to this message   
allenman
(no login)

Questions answered

August 5 2005, 4:04 PM 

1. Would an AOD that was rebuilt be able to handle the motor (ex. B&M)
It depends. See Silverfox's reply.
A Lentech will go 1000HP for $$$$ but still don't use OD under power.
2. Is the shift pattern 1-2-D-OD-N-R-P or 1-D-OD-N-R-P.
1-D-OD unless you buy the Lentech valve body which will give you 1-2-D... with electronic OD
3. Would I need another flywheel and starter
No
4. Would the C6 mount and crossmember work for the AOD
No. You need to buy the mount from Windsor-Fox or someone similar
5. Are the lengths close to the same
No. You will need a longer driveshaft
6. Will the yolk and driveshaft work from the C6
No. You need an AOD yoke or cut a C4 yoke down 1"

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - c6 to aod swap?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement