Click logo to enter advertiser's site

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

AOD SHIFT PROBLEMS

April 20 2006 at 11:52 PM
  (Login mike487)
from IP address 205.188.116.69

I recently had a post about a AOD tranny for a 1984 F150.the problem at that time was i replaced the rear main seal a followed the proper procededures for putting everything back together.when everything was back together i had first gear and the shift sort of floated into second (hardly and feel of a shift)3rd slipped.Today I dropped the drain pan and somehow the shaft for the lever on the side of the transmission had slid into the tansmission to far and the small lever on the side of the valve body that is suppose to apply pressure on the rod coming out of the valvebody was now against the side of the valvebody and not contacting the rod at all.I fixed this problem and put everything back together replaced the five quarts of fluid I lost and road tested I can now get up to speed without slippage but shifts seem very weak.I have been doing some reading on the TV cable and kickdown rod adjustments but the problem I am running into is the only apparent adjustment I have on my kickdown rod is the one at the bottom of the rod under the truck the one with the bolt that acts like a set screw that is in a block on the rod to apply pressure to the spring on the rod.on the motorcraft carb it is held on the stud by an e-clip.another question i have is should the kickdown lever on the carb end bottom out on the back of the throttle lever with the engine off if not do i need to adjust from the bottom side with the block and set screw.everything I read seems to mention an adjustment top side.the only thing i could possibly do top side is turn a very small set screw on the kickdown lever but it has no screwdriver slot or allen slot to turn it and there is only about 3/16"of it sticking out to get a hold of dont see any way of doing it with out damaging the threads.and it is set at the same point it was before I replaced the rear main seal and started having problems.one last thing I got 5 quarts of fluid to top of tranny after finding the problem in the valve body.I am still about 1/2 quart low after test drive.could this be the whole problem?auto parts store closed before i got back to it.just didnt think only 1/2 quart would give such dramatic results.guides mention and adjustment and turning until 13 threads stick out is tis the little set screw on the lever behind the throttle lever? because I doubt i have 6 threads worth sticking out between throttle and kick down lever now if I turned it all the way in towards the trottle.

This message has been edited by mike487 from IP address 205.188.116.69 on Apr 20, 2006 11:59 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login stuart40a)
Forum Moderator

Re: AOD SHIFT PROBLEMS

April 21 2006, 9:01 AM 

AOD Throttle Cable Fix and Adjust
FORD AOD Automatic Overdrive
LIFT TAB TYPE-TV CABLE ADJUSTMENT IMPORTANT: The AOD transmission may feel like it is shifting at the right time when the TV cable is actually way off! The transmission will work for a while and then FAIL! It is critical that you learn to set the TV exactly like this says. Why?
So that you will "see" how it works, know that it's right and not be fiddling with it for an hour, when and if you have some other problem.

1. Lift tab up to unlock adjustment assembly.
2. Have someone floorboard the accelerator pedal from inside the vehicle.
While the pedal is floored, push on the throttle body arm to make sure it's bottomed against its stop (wide open). (Adjust throttle cable, if necessary).
3. While the throttle is floorboarded, lock the tab on TV adjuster.
4. Make scratch with hacksaw blade or knife up tight against the adjustment assembly. This is the MAX TV mark.
5. Unlock the tab and slide housing towards bare cable 5/16" and lock tab. You can use a 5/16" bolt as a gauge. Make another mark up tight against adjustment assembly. This is the MIN TV mark.
6. Make another mark midway between MAX and MIN. This is MID-mark.
7. Adjust to MID-mark CI and road test.

ROAD TEST
In manual "3" it must have 3-2 kickdown at 50 mph (passenger cars).
CARB AND THROTTLE BODY INJECTOR MODELS: Seem to work best with setting
between MIN and MID.
PORT INJECTION MODELS (Standard): Start with a setting just under MID.
HIGH OUTPUT Port injection models: Start with setting just a hair over MID
Adding TV to attempt to correct pinging, chugging or lugging won't work. It Just causes thumps, bumps and extra wear. Set the TV so that the shifts are smooth and not late.
BLOCK TYPE-TV CABLE ADJUSTMENT IMPORTANT: The AOD transmission may feel like it is shifting at the right time when the TV cable is actually way off! The transmission will work for a while and then FAIL! It is critical that you learn to set the TV exactly like this says. Why?
So that you will "see" how it works, know that it's right and not be fiddling with it for an
hour, when and if you have some other problem.
1. Pull/push TV cable and block assembly out of throttle arm rubber grommet.
2. Have someone floorboard accelerator pedal from inside the car.
While the pedal is floored, push on the throttle body arm to make sure it's bottomed
(wide open) against its stop. (Adjust throttle cable, if necessary.)
3. Push the locking tab up through the adjustment block, with a pocket screwdriver, so that the locking tab is standing up next to clevis pin as shown in the picture.
4. While someone is holding' the throttle pedal floorboarded:
Pull the cable rail HARD towards the end of the cable with one hand, at the same time engage the clevis firmly into the throttle arm grommet.
Engaging the clevis automatically locks the tab by pushing it into the block.
5. Pull the block adjustment assembly out of the grommet:
Make a mark, on the rail, with a hacksaw blade or knife up against adjustment block.
This is the MAX TV mark.
6. Make another mark 5/16" from the max mark out on the rail. (Use a 5/16 pan bolt for a gauge.) This is MIN TV mark.
7. Make another mark midway between MAX mark and MIN mark. This mark is
average or MID-mark.
8. Unlock the adjustment tab. Set on MID-mark and lock tab. (Push it down into block.)
Install into throttle arm grommet and road test.

ROAD TEST
In manual "3", must have 3-2 kickdown at 50 mph (passenger cars).
CARB AND THROTTLE BODY INJECTOR MODELS: Seems to work best with
setting between MIN and MID.
PORT INJECTIONI MODELS(Standard): Start with a setting just under MID.
HIGH OUTPUT Port injection models: Start with setting just a hair over MID.
ROD TYPE-TV ADJUSTMENT

1. Remove the air cleaner. Have someone floor the gas pedal from inside the car while you bend the THROTTLE cable bracket until the butterfly arm bottoms solidly on it's stop.
2. Turn the adjustment screw IN until 13 threads are sticking out the front of the adjuster arm. (Approx. 7/16")
3. Start the engine with the AIR OFF and leave it OFF.
4. While the engine is idling, loosen the adjustment bolt on the arm on the side of the transmission with a 13mm socket one full turn. Push the arm up (towards the top of the vehicle) and gently tighten the bolt.
5. Now go back to the top adjustment and back off 13 turns.
6. Now ROAD TEST. Place the selector in the '3' position and cruise at 45 mph. Floor the throttle, you will have no 3-2 kickdown. Turn the adjuster screw in exactly one turn at a time until you have kickdown at 45 mph. Then, turn the screw in 3 more turns. You will be in the middle of the TV adjustment.
7. Now ROAD TEST for shift feel and timing. You can adjust in or out up to 2 turns to improve shift quality.
8. Replace the air cleaner.

Respond to this message   

(Login mike487)

April 24 2006, 4:20 PM 

Thanks for the response the problem I am running into is that I have no TV cable I have what looks like a kick down rod I guess this would be called a TV rod?the only other thing attached to the side of the carb on the right side of the truck(looking at it from the front)is the throttle cable from the accelerator pedal.also ran into another problem while trying to fix my problem when the 13mm nut is installed onto the shift lever on the side of the transmision i am able to push in on it from the outside of the transmission and with the pan removed and looking into the bottom of the transmission the shaft that go from the ouside to the inside with push into the transmission far enough for the little lever on the very end,to rest aganst the valve body and totally miss the rod comming out of the valve body.I thought i fixed this problem and every thing would work by putting a washer on the shaft on the outside of the transmission to act as a spacer to hold the shaft in the right place on the inside.and then tighten the 13mm nut down.everything inside the transmission on this shaft is hooked up and nothing is loose,the roll pin is also still pushed into the shaft.am i wrong by using a washer on the outside behind the nut?The shift lever work freely but when I try to do any adjustment on the tv rod at the bottom (the adjustment with the coil spring and the block with the set screw)I can do nothing from keeping the stop from bottom out against the back of the throttle lever on the side of the carb.and my adjustment at the carb for the TV rod is already set for max clearance between the the two levers.do I have something rare because I have a rod for the tv control just wondering because everyone mentions a TV cable? I have spent hours on line and have only come upon one reference to a tv rod.and it was really of no help but did have photos of exactly what mine looks like.

This message has been edited by mike487 from IP address 64.12.116.134 on Apr 24, 2006 4:42 PM

Respond to this message   

(Login stuart40a)
Forum Moderator

April 24 2006, 6:57 PM 

Can you get a pic of the inside of your tansmission?

Something is wrong that the arm falls inside.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - AOD SHIFT PROBLEMS
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement