Click logo to enter advertiser's site

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Cruiseomatic shift problem

July 24 2006 at 4:48 AM
Randy  (Login goingplaces35)
from IP address 66.101.17.39

I have a 58 Ford with a Cruiseomatic transmission, I don't know anything about Auto transmissions so wanted to see if anyone could tell me how serious of a problem my transmission has. The transmission seems to not shift right on it when I am in the D2 position on the selector lever in the car. The transmission kind of shifts sluggish or the engine will over speed sometimes before the transmission will make the shift. What could be the problem with it, and would it be something easy to fix as I don't want to take the transmission to someone to work on, if anyone could give me some advice or what to look for would appreaciate it.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Stuart Anderson
(Login stuart40a)
Forum Moderator

ok

July 24 2006, 7:58 AM 

In D2 position the transmission starts in second gear, then shifts to third, or high.

The band could be out of adjusment, worn clutches, throttle pressure out of adjustment or damaged internal seals.

Respond to this message   
Randy
(no login)

Re: OK

August 23 2006, 5:43 AM 

I had checked in the shop manual and do not understand how to adjust the front band, which would be the easiest thing I guess I could try along with checking the throttle pressure, could anyone give me directions for adjusting the front band, would appreaciate it thanks.

Respond to this message   
Randy
(no login)

Re: Okay again

August 23 2006, 5:50 AM 

Also I do not have the tools the old Ford shop manual shows to adjust the front band, can it be done with common tools? I really want to make shure I would know what I am doing and probably don't but any advice on the front band adjustment would be helpful.

Respond to this message   
Stuart Anderson
(Login stuart40a)
Forum Moderator

Adjustment.

August 23 2006, 8:53 AM 

Remove the pan.

Loosen the lock nut on the adjuster screw.
Insert a 1/4" block between the adjuster screw and apply rod.
Tighen the adjuster screw to 10" pounds.
Remove the 1/4" block.
Further tighten the adjuster screw 1 full turn.
Hold the adjuster screw and tighten the lock nut.
Replace the pan.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement