Click logo to enter advertiser's site

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

tranny id

August 31 2006 at 4:49 AM
sweez1  (Login sweez1)
from IP address 71.34.114.49

i just bought a tranny for my 65 mustang, i was told it was out of a 84 mustang. here are the numbers. can anyone help?
rf-d9br-7006-ab
c-2604194
rug em hb31
e2zraa 0879

it also says something about crouse-hinds
mexico

can anyone explain all this to me.
thank you

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
64-TBOLT
(no login)

Re: tranny id

August 31 2006, 9:23 AM 

its a manual tranny.

E=80's
2=82
Z=mustang
R= manual

Respond to this message   
sweez1
(Login sweez1)

tranny id

August 31 2006, 2:23 PM 

but can anyone decode the rest of the numbers?
and why does in say crouse-hinds mexico?

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: tranny id

September 6 2006, 2:49 AM 

'rf-d9br-7006-ab' is a CASTING number and is unique ONLY to the ORIGINAL casting. The same casting number can be machined in many different ways, so, in MOST cases, the casting number CANNOT be used for POSITIVE identification.

RF = 'Rough Forging'
D = 1970s decade
9 = 1979
B = Type of vehicle part was originally designed for (some sort of a car in this case but not Mustang as this would be 'Z' if Mustang)
R = Standard transmission (P is used for automatic transmission parts)
7 = Transmission/transaxle part
006 = Case
A = Makes number unique to this case
B = Second variation

'c-2604194' is another CASTING number, but this time is a assigned by the company that made the transmission and NOT by the OEM (Ford in this case) that installed the transmission in the vehicle. It looks like the numbers that Chrysler (New Process) still use on many of their parts, but is one digit longer.

'rug em hb31' is a Ford build code for this unit.

RUG = Ford transmission type code (cf PEE for some C4s)
EM = Variation code for transmissions used in 82-83 Capri 302V8 & 82-83 Mustang 302V8
HB31 = Unknown but possibly a date code of some sort

'e2zraa' is the abbreviated Ford part number for this transmission. Full part number would be E2ZR-7003-AA.

E = 1980s decade
2 = 1982
Z = Type of vehicle part number was originally assigned to (Mustang in this case)
R = Standard transmission (W, Y, or Z is used for automatic transmission assembly part numbers)
7 = Transmission/transaxle part
003 = Complete transmission assembly (In automatics this number includes only the transmission - When torque converter is included the number is '000')
A = Makes part number unique to this transmission assembly
A = First variation (May or may not have further variations)

'0879' = Unknown, but depending on how it was stamped it could be a serial number. Check alignment of numbers. If it looks hand-stamped vs machine-stamped like the rest of the numbers it would definitely be a serial number.

'crouse-hinds' = Best guess a manufacturer name, but I have never in 30 years heard of them.

'mexico' = Country where case was cast. Whole transmission could have also been made there as Ford and many other OEMs buy complete transmissions made in Mexico for installation in their vehicles.

Is this what you wanted???

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement