Click logo to enter advertiser's site

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

aod Identification

November 22 2007 at 7:24 PM
  (Login goshawks00)
from IP address 71.244.141.223

First off Happy Thanksgiving!!
First time here -man what a wealth of info... you guys already got me wanting to tear apart this here transmission..., which I've never done.

But first...Got this here transmission in a great swap for some stuff laying around... also got a 351 Windsor/'98 8.8 rear out of an Explorer and this AOD. Rear end is in (1951 Ford woodie), motor is on the stand being built and this here trans. needs a goin through.

Can anyone help ID this tag:
PKA Y5
026281 C5
EOSP EE

On the trans case is a casing number that looks like EOAP 7A040 BD

Thanks guys looking forward to picking up some great advice here.
BTW next question is where to begin?

WOW!!

Barry in Mich.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: aod Identification

November 22 2007, 11:28 PM 

Without doing any further research I would say that this was from a 1980 T-Bird. And the 7A040 number you gave is not on the transmission case. It is on the tail housing. The transmission case number would include 7006 and be on the rear driver side of case 2" above the pan rail.

Respond to this message   

(Login goshawks00)

November 23 2007, 8:01 AM 

OK looks like I got those numbers, though it does have a bad stamping so was hard to read...

RF EOSP 7006 DC(or maybe BC) CFD

Help? Is there a code book that you are using? How did you come up with an 80 T-bird

Thanks
Barry

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

November 23 2007, 12:12 PM 

Hi, I have a code book for some of the numbers, but I did not look it up earlier as it was not available at that time.

However, I just looked it up and here is what the codebook says:

Cougar, 80, 8-302, A.O.T.
T-Bird, 80, 8-302, A.O.T.

Respond to this message   

(Login goshawks00)

November 23 2007, 3:42 PM 

OK that being the case <G> is it better to look for a newer trans for a rebuild or just go with what I have ( trans been sitting in the guy's garage for 20 years)? What is the boards recomendations? You guys are the "pros" what's your suggestions? This will be a cruizin car with a warmed over 351 probably around 300 hp., rear gears 3:73. Anything I should look for inside that will give some hints as to it's past life/useage/abuse?

Barry in Mich.

This message has been edited by goshawks00 from IP address 71.244.146.93 on Nov 23, 2007 3:43 PM

Respond to this message   

(no login)

November 23 2007, 9:47 PM 

Others are better qualified to help with the internals, but if you are messing with Fords you'll want to be able to decipher the part numbers.
Here is a helpful page-http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/~djhamma/partnumb.htm
It's not like a complete master parts catalog but the info is enough to tell you have a 1980 Tbirb transmission and such.

Respond to this message   
Silverfox
(no login)

November 26 2007, 10:52 AM 

any AOD pre 86 is pretty much junk IMHO, unless it has been rebuild by a quality trans guy.

I would source a different unit to beef up for a 351.

Respond to this message   

(Login goshawks00)

November 26 2007, 2:52 PM 

Thanks Fox just what I have in mind, can be used as core exchange... listen here are a couple I've scrounged up and are available.. one is a 93 F-150 AOD, miles unknown but is still in truck ( was wrecked -when not known) the other is out of a 92 Ford van... on the shelf. Question is the van and the F-150 the same trans? Any precautions and warnings to look for ... these are both J-yard finds.

In my mind no matter what, there will have to be a rebuild to be sure all is well in transville. Now this will be for a cruiser not a missile, what do you recommend I install to 'spruce it up' and know it will be a miler maker.
Thanks guys,
Barry in Mi.

This message has been edited by goshawks00 from IP address 70.106.233.77 on Nov 26, 2007 2:53 PM

Respond to this message   
Silverfox
(no login)

November 26 2007, 4:08 PM 

Well, the truck/van units you speak of will be 1" longer than the std AOD lenght - so that makes them 31 3/8" roughly.

The shift levers will also be pointed UP for column shift.

Both units will have at least a B servo, which is about as good as you can find, the A servo is very rare - but rumored truck/van to have them.

Both units will have low stall governor

Both will have the better valve body though, and stamped fwd drum.

If you can live with the length (meaning the AOD's are going into a project or vehical where you will have driveline fabbed anyway) then both would be a great source. If the project has a floor shifter, then you will need to swap in a mustang shift lever or whatever works. you can turn the tuck lever upside down, but most run into cable issues that way.

Respond to this message   

(Login goshawks00)

November 26 2007, 4:19 PM 

great thanks for the info... -yes length isn't an issue as you've said, so will deal more with the yard on which will work better,-- of course it's mandatory I suppose to get tag numbers to verify they are what they say I guess.

What is standard procedure for any new unknown trans BEFORE installation.... Let's say they are, as is probably the case after 20 + years, high mileage and of unknown maintenance. What is the common sense things that should be done..., repaired, replaced, rebuilt?
Barry

This message has been edited by goshawks00 from IP address 71.244.129.216 on Nov 26, 2007 8:40 PM

Respond to this message   
Silverfox
(no login)

November 27 2007, 8:34 AM 

Honestly I never assume any trans I pull, find, or have dropped off is good. However if I feel confident with the previous owner and he assures me it 1)WORKED with all gears when he dropped it 2)within the past year and 3)stored it inside - 4)I still remove the pan and inspect the fluid condition and any pan debris.

Otherwise, it is just a core.

Respond to this message   

(Login goshawks00)

November 27 2007, 10:10 AM 

Ok so what are the usual replacement parts.... I know it's not a good question but this is the first time inside a trans. for me. Maybe I should start over... retired, have time... what are some reference rebuild books , that you would recommend for a first timer.... Remember this is just a criuser, and am figuring experience is expensive, or am I just better to drop it off at a shop and hold my shorts?
Barry

Respond to this message   
sILVERFOX
(no login)

November 27 2007, 10:59 AM 

Though I have no seen the vid, the link below to BAD SHOE vids will make the AOD rebuild look like a 5yr old changing oil. Start there and get a haynes manual.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - aod Identification
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement