Click logo to enter advertiser's site

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

1963 Mercomatic ball in the pan

October 31 2010 at 9:44 PM
Bill  (Login sultana63)
from IP address 76.31.64.111

Hi, I'm so glad I found this forum. I have a 1963 Mercury Monterey with a 390 4V and 3 speed Mercomatic with the tag on the side reading PCE-Z. The build date is consistent with the build date of the car so it is probably original. We are going thru the car assessing it since it has not been on the road for quite some time, i.e. we have not started it or run it. I dropped the trans pan to see what I could see and found a long odd shaped clip which might hold the filter in place,(I'm not sure) AND one steel ball, as in a check ball or shuttle ball. I have a shop manual but it doesn't go into a lot of detail, although it verified that the front servo for 1963 eliminated the accumulator which explains why I have an empty accumulator housing. I looked but cannot see where it came from. I do suspect the transmission has been opened at some other time as the larger tube has some small tooling dents in it. Any help or explanation would be great. I have rebuilt a few transmissions over the years and one more won't hurt, but I'd like to know how that got there and where it goes. Thanks in advance, Bill

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login stuart40a)
Forum Moderator

Re: 1963 Mercomatic ball in the pan

October 31 2010, 10:35 PM 

The clip could hold the filter in.
What size is the ball?

Respond to this message   
Bill
(Login sultana63)

October 31 2010, 10:56 PM 

Hi, Thanks for the quick response. I don't have the ball in hand, but it is maybe 1/8 or so in diameter. Bill

Respond to this message   
Bill
(Login sultana63)

October 31 2010, 11:03 PM 

Hi again, I had my son measure the ball. It is just shy of 1/4 inch (3/16?) Sorry for the bad guess. Bill

Respond to this message   

(Login stuart40a)
Forum Moderator

November 1 2010, 12:02 AM 

About the only place that could fit is in the detent hole.
That holds the lever in position without flopping around.

Perhaps someone replaced the lever seal and the ball popped out and got lost.

Respond to this message   
Bill
(Login sultana63)

November 1 2010, 8:15 AM 

Stuart, That's a great idea. The ball is a little large to be a check/shuttle ball. It didn't occur to me that it could be something like that. There is a small standoff cast on the modulator that the ball might fit into, but it is a blind hole and no way to retain the ball. The linkage and shaft are very wet and dirty, so the shaft seals are leaking, perhaps someone tried and gave up. Is it a stretch to say those seals are replaceable with the trans in the car? I'm asking because it looks like there is limited movement for the shaft to slide back into the trans case without removing whatever is in the way. I'm vague, I know, the car is at my son's house. Thanks for your response. Bill

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - 1963 Mercomatic ball in the pan
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement