<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Hiatt Belt

July 19 2005 at 2:55 PM
Chris Gower 

Page 242 of Alex Nichols book shows the Hiatt restraint belt that Pete McCahon had in his collection. Attached here are hopefully better quality photos showing the belt. I have had several various belts over the past 35 years but this one is rather nice. I believe it to be the medium size - it has 5 adjustments for waists measuring from 29 inches to 38 inches. The belt is marked CLIFF WALSALL (this company are still around and are considered one of the best harness and saddle makers in the UK having supplied items to many Royals). It also has the date stamp of 1952 on it and the government broad arrow. The handcuffs are marked Hiatt British Made with the Hiatt logo curved. What is unusual is that the end lock also takes the same key (most Hiatt end locks I have come across take non standard keys). Also in black lettering is KE 0637 which is interesting, several darby type handcuffs have turned up all marked KE 2771 - perhaps various government items were catalogued and marked KE ....
These belts are rare and there are probably less than 20 in collections, do you have one? are there any markings on it?
Chris Gower

This message has been edited by lauher on Jul 19, 2005 3:24 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Joe Lauher

Hiatt belt

July 19 2005, 3:35 PM 

Chris

Nice belt.

Here is a picture of mine. It has the same Cliff Walsall marking, but the date is 1942. It does not have the KE mark. Mine has backstrap Darby handcuffs.

Joe

Jack Tanis

Validation pending

July 19 2005, 7:08 PM 

Joe's belt does not become actually official until he puts a picture or, preferably, some pictures of it in the Handcuffs.org Gallery.

Cheers,

Jack

Joe Lauher

true - true

July 19 2005, 7:56 PM 

Jack
You know how to hurt a guy.
JOe

Coldsteelcuffs

Hiatt Belt...

July 19 2005, 9:58 PM 

Hello, It would be interesting to know of those who respond with belts in their collection if they could tell the belt size and if they END LOCK is threaded the same as the KEYS for the Cuffs like the first belt?? Joe, could you tell us what size your belt is. I see from the Picture that the End Cap isn't a Backstrap type darby but does the key match the cuffs?? Thanks

Joe Lauher

Hiatt Belt

July 20 2005, 7:04 AM 

The belt is small, 30 inches or 76 cm in length. A standard Hiatt key fits both the cuffs and the endlock.

Joe

Lars Holst

Re: Hiatt Belt

February 10 2011, 4:27 AM 

Hi!

I found this old, but interesting, thread about Hiatt restraint belts.

Like Joe's belt, mine has also the Hiatt backstrap Darbys marked with the
broad arrow used for British government property.

Both cuffs and the front lock takes the same keys. There are unfortunately
no markings on the belt.

Is anyone able to date this belt? My guess is about WWII.

/Lars

www.holstcollection.com

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Paul Davies

February 10 2011, 4:44 AM 

It is obvious that the > W D (War Department) stamp would suggest it was made during wartime and it is similar to Joe's from 1942.
But were the cuffs recycled. Why it is stamped > WD 7 and then overstamped with 10.
Paul

Ian McColl

February 10 2011, 6:38 AM 

Hi Paul, 10 appears to be first, maybe the key number, and then it was overstamped.

LK

Hiatt Belt

February 10 2011, 2:48 PM 

hi i don't have a belt but a pair of well marked R.C.S. they are marked on the end caps with the key number 1780 on both cuffs and both keys (2 keys),also on both end caps is R.C.S. ,1941,3
THE BROAD ARROW IS LOCATED NOT ON THE BACK STRAP LIKE ABOVE BUT ON THE SIDE OF THE LOCK BODY WITH 13 UNDER IT , I THINK THE 10 OR PROBABLY THE 7 MUST HAVE MENT A SECTION OF THE WAR DEPARTMENT ????

LK D~D

Paul Davies

February 10 2011, 3:39 PM 

Yes Ian,
I thought that after I responded. Why I suggested that the cuffs might be recycled is because I thought backstrap darbies were made earlier than WW2, more like WW1 and way before that. Can anyone tell when Hiatt stopped making backstraps Darbies. The RCS false backstraps were made into the 50's at least because they are often dated.
Paul

Mark RMP

February 10 2011, 6:59 PM 

The only input I can add is that in Lars's third picture the end lock appears to have "British Made" stamped on it. I remember once watching an episode of the Antique Roadshow where the expert referred to the exact date that the phrase first appeared on items in general. Unfortunately I can't recall exactly when it was but I believe it came into use around 1920. It is a common method used to date items in general but I've googled the term and can't find anything relevant.

As the end lock may not date to the same period as the rest of the belt the "British Made" mark may not be a reliable indicator in this instance.

Most Military cuffs come with a date on them but I would definitely put it pre WW II and If it wasn't for the end lock I'd even put it pre WWI.

Steve Santini

The cap on the end lock pictured

February 10 2011, 9:13 PM 

Is pinned in.

I have only seen this on older Darby restraints.

Later, the plug was put in and just held in by the stamped designs on the end of the lock tube.

S.S.

Joseph Lauher

February 11 2011, 9:36 AM 

I believe Hiatt made a few backstrap Darby cuffs in the period leading up to the second world war. I have one very nice example of one pair stamped British Made and I also have a Hiatt belt with backstrap Darbies with the stamp.

The RCS, JG and MCI pseudo backstrap Darby cuffs were during the war. I have always assumed they did this, because the War Department wanted cuffs that matched Hiatt's backstrap Darbies.

Joe

Joseph Lauher

February 11 2011, 9:37 AM 

I believe Hiatt made a few backstrap Darby cuffs in the period leading up to the second world war. I have a nice example of one pair stamped British Made and I also have a Hiatt belt with backstrap Darbies with the stamp.

The RCS, JG and MCI pseudo backstrap Darby cuffs were during the war. I have always assumed they did this, because the War Department wanted cuffs that matched Hiatt's backstrap Darbies.

Joe

Tom Parker

February 11 2011, 6:55 PM 

I have a Hiatt belt that I am interested in selling. It is broad arrow marked and is a medium sized belt. Leather is in excellent condition, the cuffs are backstrap darbies, there is an end lock. Comes with 2 keys, one fits the cuffs, the other is smaller and it fits the end lock. I will consider offers here first, and then move on to ebay if I find no one is interested. I will have pictures Saturday afternoon. Please email me if you want pictures.Thanks ....Tom

Nils

Belt

February 12 2011, 10:31 AM 

My Hiatt belt measures 130cm total (51 inches) with adjustments from 92 to 116cm (36 to 46 inches). The front lock didn't come with it. The cuffs are marked 32 and Hiatt, no markings on the belt. 5 slots for adjustment.

The other photos are from a belt interior, or metal liner, that I no longer have. Interesting maybe nevertheless. Notice it has a total of 6 adjustment holes (not all may have been accessible, depending on the leather work).

It's interesting the how the cuffs are mounted is sometimes different. I understand the belt is sometimes referred to as a "hangman's belt". Does anybody have information on that? It might just be a high security restraint as far as I can tell.

Cheers
Nils

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

MICHAEL LEE

February 12 2011, 11:25 AM 

Hello all

This is a most interesting post-

so here's my related question....Where would one find a leather maker able to sew thru such Thick leather Hide ?
My first thought would be a saddle maker, I appreciate any info into this matter.

also is that a length steel plating/sheet metal between the layers of leather ?

ML

Dennis

February 12 2011, 11:35 AM 

A harnessmaker or saddle maker would have a sewing machine capable of handling that kind of leather.

You are correct. The belt is, in fact, a steel belt sandwuched between two layers of leather.

Nils

Re: Belt

February 13 2011, 4:57 AM 

I was actually considering rebuilding the metal one, but it would have cost at least 50 Euros ($65) for the leather, plus the workmanship, plus the cuffs and the front lock (frozen) would have had to be replaced ... . And then, what you have is a non-original belt.

Cheers
Nils

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index