<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Froggatt Maker Marks

September 2 2006 at 11:39 AM

Joseph Lauher  (Premier Login lauher)
Owner

I have been working on an article of Froggatt cuffs for the Handcuff Annual 2007. So I am looking at my Frogatt cuffs to see what I can learn.

Most collectors are familiar with the Hiatt Worker's marks. The bottom of the lock barrel of each cuff is marked with a single capital letter. Each worker used a different letter. Or at least that is the theory.

We have discussed this before.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/261154/message/1074270619/

I think Froggatt had a similar system, but with fewer workers they needed fewer marks. They used a single punch to seal the plug as well as to mark the cuff. I have looked at more than a dozen different Froggatt cuffs and find that the vast majority are marked with either one, two or three punches as seen in the following picture.

One is the most common, followed by two. I have only one example of the three mark version.

So please look at your Froggatt Darby cuffs and tell me what you find.
In particular does anyone have a cuff with 4 or more such marks?

Other questions:

Does anyone have a Froggatt cuff that is marked "T. Froggatt"?
Does anyone have a Froggatt cuff that is marked "Birmingham"?
Does anyone have a Froggatt cuff that is dated?
Does anyone have a Froggatt nipper?
Does anyone have an adjustable Froggatt handcuff?
Does anyone have a Froggatt Superintendent model Darby?
Does anyone have a Froggatt Sheffield style Darby?
Does anyone have a Froggatt Darby with left haned threads?

If your answer to any of the above questions is yes, I would really like more information and a picture if possible.

If anyone has any particularly unique Froggatt cuff please let me know as well.

thanks for your help
Joe

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Cuffman
(Login CuffmanBelgium)

Superintendent

September 2 2006, 5:07 PM 

Hi Joe,
I have a Froggatt superintendent and will send you a picture later. There is one on my site but that's in low resolution.
Peter
http://users.pandora.be/cuffman/

Brad Darling
(Login BradD1)

Froggatt

September 2 2006, 8:37 PM 

Hi Joe,

I have three Froggatt plug 8 "single snap" cuffs. Only one is marked Froggatt, no T. Three different weights. One does not have the alignment divot (like FW&S), so maybe it's a Thompson.

Two Froggat cuffs, one medium, one heavy. Medium is unmarked and has NO center mark on the end cap. The heavies have one mark. Just Froggatt no T. No Birminghams.

Let me know if you need pics.

Brad

Joseph Lauher
(Premier Login lauher)
Owner

Froggatt cuffs

September 3 2006, 8:28 AM 

Peter

I am most interested in the markings on your Superintendent style Froggatt.

Here are the four different Froggatt logos that I have seen:

1. Most common Froggatt over Warranted Wrought

2. Froggatt in very small font

3. Foggatt in large bold font on bottom of cuff

4. T. Froggatt Birmingham

The Superintendent model that I have has the the T. Froggatt mark. How is yours marked?
Joe
------------------
Brad

I am a little confused by the term "Froggatt plug 8 "single snap" cuffs."
If it is a plug 8 then it doesn't "snap" Do you mean what most people call an Irish 8? If so I think Froggatt Irish 8's are rather rare compared to others.

The only one I have has logo 2 from above.

Thanks
joe

This message has been edited by lauher on Sep 3, 2006 8:44 AM

Cuffman
(Login CuffmanBelgium)

Re: Froggatt Maker Marks

September 3 2006, 1:10 PM 

Joe,
Here's the picture:

Cheers,
Peter

RMP
(no login)

Froggatt cuffs

September 4 2006, 9:37 AM 

Hi Joe,

I've checked my Froggatt darby cuffs and I dont have any marking that you haven't shown.

I do have these plug cuff which interestingly have a left handed threat. None pf my other plug cuffs are left handed and I wonder if anyone has encounted LHT in plug cuffs as opposed to plug 8's.

The makers mark on these plug cuffs is as per your No.1

1. Most common Froggatt over Warranted Wrought.

Sadly I do not have the key or plugs for these just in case anyone out there has an old shoe box full of them.

If you would like a better or more detailed image let me know.

Joseph Lauher
(Premier Login lauher)
Owner

Left handed threads

September 4 2006, 9:54 AM 

RMP

This is a very nice cuff. I have a cuff like this, but mine in not marked Froggatt, it has no marks at all. But I do have a standard Froggatt plug 8 with left handed threads.

I have three left handed Plug 8's, only one is a Froggatt, they are all the same. The plug and key are left handed, but the bottom screw that actually opens the cuff is still right handed.

Joe

PS. RMP I would like to use your picture for the book, can you send me an email? thanks

This message has been edited by lauher on Sep 4, 2006 9:54 AM

Brad Darling
(Login BradD1)

Froggatt

September 5 2006, 2:48 PM 

Joe, sorry for the confused terminology. No, not Irish, just plain old Plug 8's.

The one marked one only says "Froggatt" and has a number "4" stamped on it near the hinge.

One of the unmarked ones looks like the marked one, complete with alignment divot. The two unmarked ones I labelled Froggat for some long forgotton reason.

B.

David
(no login)

FROGATT HANDCUFFS

September 1 2007, 10:02 AM 

Hello, I have a pair of Frogatt Handcuffs with the Key. There are two marks on the end.

David. vze2ywbk@verizon.net

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Froggatt Maker Marks

September 1 2007, 1:07 PM 

Joe, I have a very old set of Froggatt leg irons and here are some of the markings on them:

The tiny little letter stamps on the side of the bow are very unique and interesting. It appears to be stamped "N J" .....any thought as to what that stands for??? These irons are presently strapped down to one of my display boards so I can only see the front and sides of them.....sorry. I hope this helps you.

Cheers, Mike

Joseph Lauher
(Premier Login lauher)
Owner

Froggatt Maker Marks

September 1 2007, 4:32 PM 

Mike

I have one pair of old Darby handcuffs that are marked N.J. I don't know what the intials stand for either although it has been suggested that they were used by the New Jersey militia during the civil war. But who knows?

Joe

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index