<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Where are handcuffs illegal?

February 11 2007 at 4:41 PM

Hello, this is my first post.
I am from Iceland, and Iceland don't have many handcuff collectors due to the fact that they are illegal under the weapons act.
I recently got my very small but hard earned handcuff collection confiscated and I'm a bit frustrated to say at least.

I have been trying to find rescorses that tell me if handcuffs are illegal in any other places.

I have found that they are illegal in Australia and China (as well as Iceland).
They (the handcuffs) fall intoo the weapons act in Australia and in China it's simply illegal to own anything that the police uses.

I have contacted the Minister of Justice and he has told me he is willing to reconsider the weapons act since it was last updated in 1987.

My mission right now is to gather and collect as much info as I can on why handcuffs should/should not be illegal.
I want to find out as many places were handcuffs are illegal and I also wish to find out why.

If one can argue why or why not handcuffs should be illegal please kindly reply to this post.

Thank you!
Garri (Iceland)

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Derek

Re: Where are handcuffs illegal?

February 11 2007, 5:10 PM 

Illegal?

Sounds crazy because duct tape and rope are just as effective, way cheaper,easier to get and probably used 10 times more in crimes then handcuffs.

I thought we had a few dumb laws here in the states.

isnt new york technically like that too? Not illegal but i remembering seeing a place that wouldnt ship to new york cause of some legal mumbo jumbo. i wish i could remember what it was all about.

February 11 2007, 5:40 PM 

I know it's crazy!
So far I have not recived any reason why the cuffs are illegal.
I have asked alot but never receved an answer.
The simply answer my question with the following question: "Are you going to arrest someone?"

When it comes to Iceland there are many weird laws, and almost nothing is legal here.
I was talking to a owner of a gunstore a few months back and he told me he was trying to get permits to import paintball markers, only to find out it's way to complicated and harder to import paintball products than actual ammonition.

I was reading an article about a boy in Australia whoms handcuffs were confiscated, even that they had a latch to open the cuffs without using a key.
In Sidney, Australia, a sexshop got their pink fluffy handcuffs confiscated. The owner of the shop found it funny and was wondering what the cops were going to do with all those new pink fluffy handcuffs.
I bet they'd look good on a uniformed officer! LOL

I agree with you about the weirdness of those law.
Why not make ducttape, rope, chains, locks and plastic straps illegal too?

February 11 2007, 6:18 PM 

Garri,

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your collection.

I think some of us on this Forum would give up their right arm than loose their collection. (especially if they are left handed)
I had never heard of an Icelandic cuff collector before. I assume that you did not have many collector friends to trade with. I will also take a guess and figure what you did not do Thursday nights at the Lodge Meetings!
I was curious what your collection consisted of. Did you have anything historical or rare? I also guess that it was comprised mainly of British cuffs.
How did the Police know you had it and did you have to turn it in versus them searching the house for them?

I hope that you can get it back one day soon or at least be allowed to start collecting again.
This is a real shame! However, your story might be an excellent article for the annual, especially if you have pictures.

Good luck to you! I hope this problem will have a happy ending!

mark
O--O

Weapon's classification

February 11 2007, 6:34 PM 

Handcuffs are specially made for bound people, and are used by policemen. Not chains, duct, ropes, ... . So the French law classify handcuffs as weapons (in the 6th category), as big knives, swords, batons or any object that could hurt (without gun powder). It is forbidden to wear them, in the street for example. But not to possess and collect them, happily. Excepted, it seems, current models in use by police. eBay often cancels auctions for recent models, but it's a little random.
SIsee that some countries are even more strict than France. Sorry.

illegal in Iceland?

February 11 2007, 6:44 PM 

Gee, I just watched a documentary about
Iceland a couple of weeks ago on the
history channel I think. it was about how
they are near energy independent due to the hot
springs. they even have hot spring spas in
every house I think. I thought it might be
nice to live there.

No Handcuffs? not so sure now..

what other neat stuff can't you have there?

February 11 2007, 7:12 PM 

My "collection" was very small, I had 2 pcs. of Smith & Wesson Model 100 (Slide), 1 Peerless Model 700, Hiatt Model 1010, Crocket & Kelly, Alcyon Model 5230 and two pcs. that were made in Taiwan, they had no markings nor serial numbers.

The police came to me at work, and questioned me about the cuffs, then they drove me home and I handed the cuffs over.
I am unaware of how they found out about my collection.

I had no friends to trade with, I simply bought if I found a pair and every time I went out of the country I tried to smuggle a pair.
Guess I am a mad criminal who ought to be locked inside a prison cell.

My goal for 2007 is to make handcuffs legal where I live, so I can simply buy off the Net and take a pair with me home when I find one I don't allready have.

February 11 2007, 7:41 PM 

I can legally purchase handcuffs from Army Surplus stores in Western Australia ... but not sure about the other states of Australia.

My local store stocks Peerless, Smith & Wesson, Republic Arms and other cheaper varieties and are in open display for the public to view. They are happy to remove the cuffs from display and show you as well.

Owning them is one thing, but if you carry them in public I think that could be a criminal offence. I see many items I would like from overseas but have been told Customs would not allow them through. Unfortunately there are not many, if any, places in Australia to purchase classic cuffs like Derbys, Mattucks etc ... even the local ebay seems to frown upon selling handcuffs online.

Graeme

Derek

February 11 2007, 8:02 PM 

"Handcuffs are specially made for bound people, and are used by policemen. Not chains, duct, ropes, ... . So the French law classify handcuffs as weapons (in the 6th category), as big knives, swords, batons or any object that could hurt (without gun powder). It is forbidden to wear them, in the street for example. But not to possess and collect them, happily. Excepted, it seems, current models in use by police. eBay often cancels auctions for recent models, but it's a little random.
SIsee that some countries are even more strict than France. Sorry.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Is it safe to assume guns are illegal too???
I wouldnt feel safe at all. Here in the states people attack you with everything including the kitchen sink. If law abiding citizens didnt have weapons here to protect themselves i seriously think the place would go up for grabs.
anyways wierd law!!!!!

Handcuffs that function properly are safer then rope or duct tape.

I can see this stuff being illegal if its an under age kid youre dealing with.

February 11 2007, 8:26 PM 

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/about_us/structure/corporate_services/firearms/more_information/faq/prohibited_weapons

4 Miscellaneous articles
Clause 4.2 Handcuffs (other than antique handcuffs, or children’s toy handcuffs, that are of an approved type).

Guess that means you can buy classics from over-seas, since they allow antiques.

Iceland doesn't allow handcuffs or leg irons made of metal or any other material.

February 12 2007, 12:03 AM 

This raises an interesting point - we can't tell for certain when our governments might decide to adjust the laws to make our collections suddenly illegal. I dont want the last 20 years I've spent collecting to become a vanishing act overnight!
Everybody, check with your lawyer (they can ask the police/government and keep your identity out of it) to find out what laws exist and what laws are being planned that relate to your collection. If you and your lawyer see a potential threat, start strongarming your local elected official to start reminding them to spend their efforts on more important issues regarding crime. Seems to me like, gangs, narcotics, and acts of violence should not take a back seat to new legislation.
Just my view.

February 12 2007, 7:40 PM 

I am very glad to see how stunned people are over these weird law I am currently dealing with.
This helps me proof my point when dealing with the icelandic goverment.
I have allready been promised an overview over this law, and the current Minister of Justice has admitted the law needs to be updated.

I want to ask you fellow cuff collectors, to help me look at some points, good and bad, to arguee why handcuffs should be legal/illegal.

That way I can have some very good points in my report, and show the Minister of Justice that justice is not served banning these items.

Illegal?

February 12 2007, 8:34 PM 

In this country (U.S.A) laws can vary state to state. There is one law I really appreciate, though again I do not know if it is every state. The law is called "illegal restraint". What it basically means is, if you are not a police officer, or a mental health professional, you are not allowed to take away someone's freedom.

What I like about the law is that it recognizes that there is nothing inherently wrong with owning handcuffs, strait jackets, duct tape, or rope. It puts the responsibility on the owner to see that his property is not being used illegaly.

There is a big difference between someone walking down the street carrying or holding a pair of handcuffs, and the same person coming up behind someone and locking them in. One is a crime and one is not.

The same argument could probably be made for guns, knifes, or any other potentialy harmful tool.

Derek

February 12 2007, 11:30 PM 

Cliff is right!

Derek

February 12 2007, 11:42 PM 

ALL I KNOW IS.....
If someone is gonna kill me and stuff me in the trunk of their car, I hope i am wearing some nice cuffs and not some dollar store duct tape.
GOD BLESS AMERICA!

D

February 13 2007, 2:43 AM 

Thanks Cliff for your input.
We also have the law that it is illegal to take someones freedom.
The most recent case that went to court is when a person went intoo another mans office, locked the door and did not allow the man to go out.
The man was mad cause the company the man at the office works for shut down the his electricy cause he did not pay his electric bills. The man got mad, claiming he had paid the bills, went intoo the office, locked the door and wanted the man to fix the problem.

This case did not have any handcuffs in them, rope nor other restraining devices.

I would like to see the law allowing persons to own a pair of handcuffs but if you take one's freedom against their will you are braking the law and using them illegally.
That way each indivitual is responsable for his/hers action.

where are cuffs illegal

February 13 2007, 4:41 PM 

hi

here in holland is it only forbidden to cuff somebody if you are not a police man
you may walk on the street with cuffs if you got them in to your pocket
do not swing with it
and you may have them at home
then you may use then
the only way you may use them on the street is when you got a licence
or the suspect is very very dangerous for himself or someone else

regards

Patrick

February 13 2007, 7:54 PM 

Thank you Patrick for your input.
The way Holland and many other contries have it it is a fair law, that is, it is illegal to restrain somebody against their will, with handcuffs or any other restraining devices.

Patrick, I'm looking forward to my visit to Amsterdam this summer!
I visit Amsterdam every year, my favorite place in the whole world!

where are cuffs illegal

February 14 2007, 12:38 AM 

hi garri

you are welcome
if you want you can also visit rotterdam that's the place where I live
it is a nice city and you are also welcome at my place an of course look at my small collection

regards

Patrick-handboeienfreak

Current Topic - Where are handcuffs illegal?  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index