<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

DDR or WW2 german handcuffs?

December 27 2007 at 5:17 AM
JBM 

I always thought that the first DDR handcuffs (high security, non-swinging bow) were produced by DDR (former East germany).

Now I found this picture, where such a set are stamped with two sig-runes, also known as the symbol for german elite soldiers during WW2.

Is it a fraud or is the cuff older than 1950?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jack

Nazi SS

December 27 2007, 8:02 AM 

Interesting use of the word elite...

Re: DDR or WW2 german handcuffs?

December 27 2007, 8:37 AM 

I have already noticed this auction too and contacted a friend of mine - he collects militaria and such antiquities and he is considered to be an Czech expert for NAZI army and SS forces and he told me that this must be a fake, because as far as he knows SS equipment has never been marked in this way. The structure of the code - numbers and letters - was different.
As I see it somebody wanted make it more interesting, so stamped SS and some letters and numbers on it, without any knowledge of the right structure of this marking code...

Josef

germanhandcuffs

December 27 2007, 12:23 PM 

I agree with Josef. This stamp is a FAKE! Fake items are not an exception among some militaria sellers, who will put ss-runes or swastikas on anything they can sell to beginning collectors. Examples of original Deutsche Polizei handcuffs with III. Reich markings do exist however, like the pair that Atame ownes. It has a small german-eagle-with-swastika and the letter M on it. I borrowed his picture to show you all.

December 27 2007, 2:34 PM 

I also believe that this is a fake. Although I am not 100% sure, because I have seen bullet casings for the German K98 Carbine which are marked with SS-runes (but without circle). These casings are originals, because they were dug out by treasure hunters. So it seems that SS equipment was marked in such a way.

But I have never seen any handcuff marked with "SS" runes - e.g. an old Clejuso model, or an August Schwarz or Horst Stein. Nor did I see a Vopo model 1 marked with eagle and swastika (like my August Schwarz) or just with "D.R.P." or "D.R.G.M.". So I have no reason to believe that this model was invented before the GDR started to exist.

Best regards,
Guenter

germanhandcuffs

December 28 2007, 2:49 AM 

One of the main mistakes made by the guy who stamped the handcuffs (and probably lots of other items) is the fact that the SS (both military and political organisations) had no handcuffs of their own, in fact they did not have any handcuffs at all! German state security- and police units, like the Geheime Staatspolizei (GeStaPo) Sicherheitspolizei (SiPo), Ordnungspolizei (OrPo) and prisonguards did have them of course.

I agree with Atame that original items with SS-runes do/did exist. Most items in use by the SS (and other organisations that directly did belong to the German Nazi Party) had so called RZM (Reichszeugmeisterei der NSDAP) markings on them, in combination with an M code.

For example: this award was made by manufacturer M1/101 (Gustav Brehmer, Markneukirchen). Regular army issues were stamped with so called WaA markings, like this army saddle.

Ok guys, more than enough history lessons for today, I guess

germanhandcuffs

January 13 2008, 7:09 AM 

The same handcuffs are for sale in Holland now!
Some guy has been bidding 60.00 already. What a shame!

http://verzamelen.marktplaats.nl/militaria/140589461-zeer-zeldzame-duitse-ss-handboeien-met-sleutel.html

IS IT A FAKE ??

September 30 2009, 12:34 PM 

HELLO== ARE YOU IN FACT SAYING THAT THE GERMAN SADDLE YOU ARE
SHOWING ON PAGE WITH THE HANDCUFFS IS A FAKE.?? I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO RESEARCH THE SADDLES FURTHER.THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN
SEND ME. REGARDS G.HEINZ

October 1 2009, 6:33 AM 

No, I believe he used the saddle as an example of an item with the Waffenamt (rouhghly Weapons Office) acceptance stamp.

Current Topic - DDR or WW2 german handcuffs?  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index