<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Eisaman & Rome

July 25 2010 at 9:15 PM
Spencer  (no login)

I need some information please. I see where there are two patents for Eisaman & Rome come a long. One is no.394,162 Dec. 11 1888 and the other is no.829,197 Aug.21 1906. I know that at least one of these was actually manufactured but was the other one also produced? Any info would be appreciated.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Joshua
(no login)

Re: Eisaman & Rome

July 26 2010, 11:36 AM 

This is a good question. Everyone I've seen has the patent date of Dec. 11'88 yet it would appear that the design is based off of the Aug. 1906 patent. Of course I can assume this is at least in part why you are asking...which means I'm of no help...but I'll keep looking happy.gif

Jack Tanis
(Login Jack.Tanis)

"Any info" is a fair request...

July 26 2010, 1:57 PM 

Dear Spencer,

Here goes nothing.

The version seen, clearly marked Eisaman & Rome with the 1888 date, patent 394,162, is the one depicted in the drawing from the 1906 patent, number 829,197.

The only applicant on the 1906 patent -- the one that is seen with the 1888 date and marked Eisaman & Rome, to repeat myself -- is Amos Eisaman.

Both Amos Eisaman and George Rome are applicants -- i.e., they are co-applicants -- on the 1888 patent.

Here is what Rome writes in the 1905 application:

"This invention relates to manacles or handcuff's, and has for its object to provide certain new and useful improvements over my former patent, No. 394,162, issued December 11, 1888.

"In particular it is designed to effectually prevent the jaw-actuating cam from being turned past and out of engagement with the rear ends of the jaws and to house the ratchet mechanism between the handle and the stem of the device, so as to protect the palm of the hand of the operator.

"With this object in view the present invention consists in the combination and arrangement of parts, as will be hereinafter more fully described, shown in the accompanying drawings, and particularly pointed out in the appended claims, it being understood that changes in the form, proportion, size, and minor details may be made within the scope of the claims without departing from the spirit or sacrificing any of the advantages of the invention."

In other words, the second patent is for improvements to the original nipper.

Forget the drawing in the original, 1888, patent. One visual version was made, that from the 1906 patent. It just first was made before 1906, in 1888.

The remaining question is was the Rome-without-Eisaman 1906 improved version ever made? I doubt it. If it was, the Eisaman & Rome mark and the original, 1888 patent date were preserved and no 1906 patent date was stamped on it. Hence, it is extremely unlikely it ever saw production.

I hope this helps. It certainly meets the criterion of "any info".

Cheers,

Jack
http://www.editing.org.uk/tanis/collectibles.htm

Spencer
(no login)

Thanks

July 26 2010, 8:40 PM 

Joshua and Jack....I want to thank both of you...the info you gave me was very helpful.

Mark Lyons
(no login)

November 20 2017, 2:08 PM 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332456433525

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-ANTIQUE-EISAMAN-ROME-POLICE-NIPPER-HANDCUFF-PAT-DATE-DEC-11TH-1888/263332169768?hash=item3d4fd20828:g:IX4AAOSwv~1aELAx

Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it.

I noticed that an eBay seller just listed an Eisaman and Rome Nipper (I don't know the seller and have nothing to do with this sale).

I believe it has been a very long time since one showed up on eBay.
In the day, these were selling for $400 - 700.

If anyone is bidding on this item and wins it, I wanted to let you know that I just listed an original box with the inside wrapper on eBay as well.

As I have no connection with the nipper sale, I thought it would be of mutual benefit to the buyer, seller and myself to offer the vintage box to pair with the nipper.

Of course my listing is open to anyone who is already in possession of these rare and interesting restraints.
I have started it auction at $40 and as this box is well over 100+ years old, it has a couple delicate spots which I disclosed in the description and by picture.

I attached this notification to an interesting blog from 7 years back.
Thanks for looking and hoping the holidays will be happy and healthy.

Mark
O--O

[linked image]

Ron Spitz
(no login)

November 20 2017, 3:16 PM 

The original 1888 version has only one spring where the "improved" 1906 version two springs were used. To my knowledge, they never changed the identification plate and all I have ever seen has the 1888 patent with two springs.

It is easy to tell which model you have by removing the two screws and looking at the springs. All the ones I have seen are the two spring model (1906).

Does anyone have the original single spring first model?

Ron

Mark Lyons
(no login)

November 20 2017, 3:40 PM 

Ron,
I wonder if the body design changed during the production of the 2nd version.
In essence, could one simply add the second spring if they had the original version or was the cavity hollowed out in the 2nd model to grant the extra room to allow the additional spring to fit?

It stated that the grip might turn too far and the improved model might prevent it from rotating too far.
I will have to check to see if mine has 1 or 2 springs.

I will call you. Might be able to hook up with you close to the weekend if you are free

mark
O--O

DJ halfdead
(Login djhalfdead)

Ebay

November 25 2017, 7:55 PM 

The actual nipper just sold on Ebay for $203.80 ! Somebody got a smokin' deal! Congrats to them. Anybody from on here get to grab it?
-Richard Knip-

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index