<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

European Convention

August 9 2010 at 3:53 PM

I was told some people didn't get the email with registration-details I sent last month. Most information can be found here :http://users.telenet.be/cuffman/convention.html

If you need any other info, just let me know.

Peter

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous

Re: European Convention

August 10 2010, 4:30 AM 

[linked image]

August 16 2010, 4:03 PM 

I'm in the preparation for my lecture, hope to see you all there!

[linked image]

Lindsey

August 16 2010, 6:03 PM 

I hope this will be a great event.
I am wondering who is coming to this convention and what are some of the plans for sightseeing before and after?
What will the weather be like?
Anything else to be considered?

L

PS Will Lars be giving away free samples?

Anonymous

August 16 2010, 6:23 PM 

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Looks like the attendees will be havin some good eats!!!

August 17 2010, 12:24 AM 

Hi to all

only a couple of weeks and then ????
i want to know is there any interest for a trip to the netherlands
i live there and dirk also so we can be a guide
only what i want to know if you want before the convention or after
i have to take off from work and have to plan that one of these days
i am an service engineer and it is difficult to plan my days
let me know quick

best

patrick

August 17 2010, 12:53 PM 

Hi Lindsey,

Of course, I will bring a big box of duplicates and give samples to everyone wink.gif

Good to see you and Mark there!

Lars

LAR'S

August 17 2010, 1:28 PM 

SORRY I CAN'T MAKE IT BUT U CAN SEND ME UR SAMPLES, A PAIR OF BEAN GAINTS WOULD BE NICE ,LOL

LK D~D

Hans

August 18 2010, 7:24 PM 

A trip to the Netherlands sounds interesting. I have not traveled there too much.
What kinds of things would you plan on doing there?
I am glad that Lindsey and Mark Cannon will be there. I am happy to meet the American tourists.
I hope Mark will do some of his escapes at the convention.
I think this will be a great trip!

August 20 2010, 7:59 AM 

As mentioned before: I will be there. Patrick (Handboeienfreak) and I will arrive in Antwerp on friday October 1st, so we will be joining the pre-convention dinner also.

Maybe I will be able to join you when you are visiting the Netherlands. Therefore I need to know the exact day this visit is planned a.s.a.p.

Looking forward to meet you all,

Dirk Hartman

http://www.dutchconnection.tk

http://www.facebook.com/baron.dirkhartman.of.beauluna

Lindsey

August 31 2010, 10:31 PM 

Doing my studies about Belgium as I am excited about this trip. I found some interesting facts from Wiki:
Belgium: officially the Kingdom of Belgium, is a state in northwest Europe. It is a founding member of the European Union and hosts the EU's headquarters, as well as those of several other major international organizations such as NATO.[5] Belgium covers an area of 30,528 square kilometres (11,787 sq mi), and it has a population of about 10.8 million people.

Belgium has three official languages, which are in order of native speaker population in Belgium: Dutch, French and German. A number of non-official minority languages are spoken as well.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Antwerp weather in September
18C / 64F 11C / 52F
Antwerp weather in October
15C / 59F 7C / 45F
The weater looks like it will be brisk, but not uncomfortable.
Antwerp weather in December
6C / 43F 1C / 34F
It looks good in the wintertime too.

Many highly ranked Belgian restaurants can be found in the most influential restaurant guides, such as the Michelin Guide. Belgium is famous for beer, chocolate, waffles and french fries. Contrary to their name, french fries also originated in Belgium. The name "french fries" actually refers to the manner in which the potato is cut. To "french" means to cut into slivers. The national dishes are "steak and fries with salad", and "mussels with fries".

Brands of Belgian chocolate and pralines, like Callebaut, Cte d'Or, Neuhaus, Leonidas, Guylian, Galler and Godiva, are world renowned and widely sold. Belgium produces over 500 varieties of beer. The Trappist beer of the Abbey of Westvleteren has consistently been rated the world's best beer. (Lets get some of that!) The biggest brewer in the world by volume is Anheuser-Busch InBev, based in Leuven.

Anonymous

Belgium

September 1 2010, 12:48 AM 

Lindsey, do they speak Dutch or Flemish? And are you sure that German is an official language?

September 1 2010, 9:18 AM 

When I was last in Brussels, about 20 years ago, there was a district called approximately "La Petit Rou des Boucheres." Little Street of the Butchers. It's a restaurant district. I must have gained twenty pounds there.

Regardless of whether you visit there, if you don't eat well in Brussels, it's your own fault.

September 1 2010, 3:49 PM 

Dennis,
That street is called Rue des Bouchers and it is a 500 yard tourist trap happy.gif I agree you won't starve in Brussels but hang on to the memories from 20 years ago when it comes to eating in this street.
Peter

DutchConnection

September 3 2010, 3:48 PM 

Just to make things more complicated for our American visitors... happy.gif

Belgium has only two real Belgian citizens; the King and Queen of Belgium.
All others are Flemish or Walloon (or do belong to the German speaking minority in the eastern region of course).

The beautyful city of Antwerp is located in Flanders (the northen part of Belgium).
The Flemish language is very much related to Dutch; we do understand eachother very well.

Enjoy the Convention everybody

September 29 2010, 9:51 AM 

I'm really disappointed that I can't be with you all in Antwerp this weekend.I know 3 guys from the UK who will definitely be joining you. Have fun everybody and I look forward to hearing all about it from my buddies as well as - hopefully - seeing loads of pics on this site.

Mike Riccard
a.k.a. Mikeintightpants
Centre of England

Last European convention in Antwerp

September 29 2010, 4:28 PM 

Well Mike, I'm curious to see at what time two of those three guys from the UK will show up at dinner on Friday this year. We won't wait for them to start eating anyway (sorry CG and DR).

Now some bad news: I visited the convention-place earlier today and they told me that the place will close down permanently at the end of this year so this will be the last time we can have the convention at this location.
For this reason I decided to let the event once again take place in the ancient cellar we used last time instead of the modern (and slightly larger) meetingroom I booked at first. This will be the last chance to experience the atmosphere of a medieval cellar during a handcuff-convention in Antwerp and as the number of participants is almost the same as two years ago, we should be able to fit in there without feeling overcrowded.

See (some of) you on Friday/Saturday!

Peter

Dan

September 29 2010, 7:42 PM 

Hey Peter,

We got there earlier than A.N. last time & that was with us having a two hour delay due to a fire in the tunnel.
We are hoping lightning doesn't strike twice & should be there in time for you to buy us a beer before the pre-conventionn meal.

It's a shame this will be the last one at this venue, but I am glad you have decided to hold it in the cellar again.

See you for that beer,

Dan

September 30 2010, 6:29 AM 

Dear fellow collectors,

because after the convention we will most probably be three persons with their luggage for one week in our quite small car and because I also already have some doubles from my collection with me - please see alsohttp://www.network54.com/Forum/261154/thread/1284413282/ - I won't be able to bring a lot of "show and tell" items with me. So if you like to see a particular piece of my collection fromhttp://www.atame.info/ at the convention please tell me - write to atame.m@gmx.de .

And don't forget: if you want to see or buy something fromhttp://www.cuffsland.com/ /http://www.cuffsland.de/ please write to info@cuffsland.de

Best regards and pleased to meet you soon,
Guenter and Petra

Roman_AOC

October 1 2010, 5:20 PM 

Dear colleagues,

the largest handcuff-clock ever tells me that you'll have only about 10 hours to wait .... happy.gif

cjwm9npe.jpg

Unfortunatly, this year is another year I'm not able to join the convention. Neverless, from roundabout 750 km of distance, I wish you profitable discussions, interesting exhibits and an enjoyable and pleasant day.

Yours
Roman / unknown42

convention

October 1 2010, 6:50 PM 

It's 1 AM over here and I just got home from the pre-convention dinner. In only a couple of hours the 'real' event will start.

Peter

October 2 2010, 1:17 PM 

hi

after a great dinner yesterday and a good convention day today
i m back home again

the event was very great
and found some nice pieces for my collection
and learned a lot

want to thank some people

Peter the cuffman thank you your good organisation of this great event

Dan weasel dandow for his crazy things he did and show us the way to an awosome pub

Chris gower
Michael busch and family
Lindsay
Guenter and Petra
Mark cannons (Sheila we missed you )
Lars holst
Alex nichols
Ron
Mario
Berry
Parents of Peter
Andy
Andy
Jean-Michel
and all other who i forget

best wishes from holland

patrick (handboeienfreak)

Dirk Hartman (DutchConnection)

October 2 2010, 2:24 PM 

I also really enjoyed the convention and the pre-convention dinner!

Peter did a great job again; I think we all had a great time, sharing knowledge
and learning from eachother. Thanks to all of you!

I hope to meet you all on the 4th European Handcuff Convention in 2012... happy.gif

Kind regards,

Dirk Hartman

http://www.dutchconnection.tk

Thanks to all of you!

October 4 2010, 10:07 AM 

The 3rd European Handcuff Convention became a great success!

It was really nice to meet all of you! We had lots of fun and discussed restraints
from all possible angles. Some collectors also had brought some highlight pieces from
their collections to show the rest of us.

Peter Pensaert did again a great job! It's lots more work than anyone can imagine to
organize a Convention. As a long time professional show/fair organizer, I know how many
hours Peter must have spent on all preparations. It's also a financial risk for the organizer
as many things, like the hall rent, have to be paid for a long time in advance.

The restaurants Peter had selected for the pre-convention dinner and Saturday evening dinner
were both excellent. I especially appreciated the Argentinean restaurant where we had superb
and tender meat.

I also want to thank Peter's parents for their kindness by picking me up at the airport and driving
me back on Sunday.

Again, thanks to Peter and to all of you who attended.

Best wishes,

Lars

Dan

October 4 2010, 10:12 AM 

I would just like to thank Peter for organising the convention. It was great to catch up with everyone & finally meet a few people I have dealt with, but never met face to face.

Also, thanks to Lars for a very interesting & informative lecture on Finnish Cuffs.

I look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Dan

October 4 2010, 11:55 AM 

Hello everyone,

I also would like to thank Peter for organizing this great event! As Lars already wrote the restaurants where we went for dinner were well chosen; special thanks to Peter for having in mind my habit (or should I say abnormality?) and provide me with vegetable-free sandwiches at lunch-time!

Thanks go out to Lars for his lecture about rare Finnish cuffs, and for showing to us restraints we had never seen before (and probably will never come across).

I am still under the impression of the cuff Dan had modified and brought along; having to use two keys at the same time to open one half of a cuff and to use another "key" just to get the keys inserted into the key-holes is really special!

Again, thanks to everyone who was there and made this event a big success!

With best wishes to all of you,

Michael

P.S. I suggest we collect our pictures of the event in one place online, any ideas where this could be?

Thanks

October 5 2010, 2:33 PM 

Hi Everyone
Just a quick email to say how much I enjoyed the 3rd Convention, special thanks to Peter for all the hard work he put in organising it. It was great to catch up on all the new cuffs that have recently become available and to handle some of the very rare cuffs that Michael, Patrick, Peter and Gunter bought along.
Dan and I travelled back to the Channel Tunnel via Gent where we stopped at to visit the Castle - what a disappointment compared to 25 years ago!!
Once again thank you Peter you deserve a medal for the three meeting you have organised, perhaps in two years time we can arrange it in England or our house in Saumur France??
Chris Gower

October 8 2010, 8:42 AM 

Hello fellow collectors,

having survived a 10 hour drive by car Petra and I finally arrived in Munich today at 2:00 am. After the convention we added a few days of sightseeing (and cuffsseeing) with Mark C. and Mark L. in Belgium and the Netherlands, where we had a good time.

Thanks to everybody, who was at the convention for making such an event possible. Special thanks to Peter for organizing and for being our host in Belgium and to Patrick, who showed us his collection and entertained us to a what we called "Brotzeit" (meal with bread, sausage, cheese, egg, vegetable etc.).

Best regards,
Guenter and Petra

Mark Lyons

October 3 2011, 2:17 AM 

It is hard to believe that a whole year has gone by already.
I have thoughts about this trip all the time and still want to thank Peter, Patrick, Dirk, Guenter, Petra, Lars, Michael, Mark and everyone else who showed me a great time.
I hope plans are underway for another show a year from now, as I am so looking forward to it.

mark
O--O

Anonymous

April 22 2012, 2:50 AM 

Europe is a beautiful countr. You have many beautiful buildings. And awesome coffee shops.

Current Topic - European Convention  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index