Anonymous

oh

September 2 2011, 8:13 AM 

what a shame,
I would have paid 20 happy.gif

Anonymous

Re: Peerless model 400 for sale or trade

September 2 2011, 10:02 AM 

As the serial number is removed, you can't expect much. I personally wouldn't want to add these cuffs to my collection.

September 2 2011, 10:43 AM 

I'll add any pair of cuffs to my collection, the more used, the better. Agreed, removing the serial number puts "a cloud on the title," but they also show that they have been worked. And I like used cuffs more than new ones. happy.gif

handboeienfreak

September 2 2011, 12:24 PM 

hi

the working of these cuffs has nothing with serial numbers

and with these they did it "nice" not as crude on most hiatts

best

patrick

Tim

September 2 2011, 12:40 PM 

I can tell you though that it will affect the value. Look at this auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250874708143?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

When I first saw that auction I was ready to jump on it but when I read the serial number part then I backed out and alot of other people avoided it too. 2 model 400s and 1 model 300 for $85.00 would normally be spectacular but it was too good to be true.

As long as you're happy with yours, I guess that's what really matters though.

Later,

Tim

Ian McColl

September 2 2011, 7:25 PM 

It's disappointing that the serial number is not there but this is going to be one of the rare cuffs of the future. It was discontinued because it is brittle. As time goes one, what ever is out there being used with slowly fall apart and there will be less and less.

To me this is one of the best looking modern cuffs (I have three already), smooth , great iconic Peerless shape, nice designs. It's a bargain.

Ian
(is there a price on it??)

Tim

September 2 2011, 9:44 PM 

It is indeed a good looking cuff and appears to be in great shape aside from the serial number thing. I wonder what would be anybody's reasoning for doing that anyway. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Tim

Ian McColl

September 2 2011, 11:30 PM 

Last week there was a newspaper article on how much stuff the Victorian police cannot account for. 145 handcuffs from memory have gone missing. I know it's illegal to own ex police issue SAF-LOK cuff here, so maybe the number was removed at one time so it cannot be tracked??

Ian

Ian McColl

September 2 2011, 11:35 PM 

extract from newpaper in regard to the post above.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/police-badges-reported-missing-in-the-past-10-years/story-fn7x8me2-1226124010661

....... Other items police reported missing in the past decade include 145 handcuffs, 111 caps with badges, 39 identification passes, 12 ballistic vests, 159 alcometers, 70 radios, batons, capsicum spray, computers, torches, cameras and a Smith & Wesson revolver, which was later found.
Victoria Police spokeswoman Leonie Johnson said officers were in possession of more than 170,000 items such as handcuffs, equipment belts, caps and identification badges.
"This data shows that the theft or loss of stolen property is minimal, equating to 0.005 per cent of Victoria Police's total assets," Ms Johnson said........

September 2 2011, 11:53 PM 

Wow! Can't immagine handcuffs being illegal. Are the Saf-loks the only Austrailian used handcuffs?

Anonymous

September 3 2011, 12:01 AM 

Nice set of Peerless 400 for sale on ebay. Ebay # 110738826161

Ian McColl

September 3 2011, 3:30 AM 

Hi Tim, SAF-LOK is used as is Hiatt and Peerless and in Queensland (Qld) the Hagge cuff. It is NOT illegal to own handcuffs in Victoria, but is is to have a pair of ex police as this would mean they had been found and not returned, or stolen. A check of the serial number would determine which officer should have had them.

I remember talking to a cop who put his cuffs on the bar at a pub so he could join in on a fist fight. He didn't want the cuff pulled from his hip and used against him as a weapon. After the fight and the arrest, he turn to get his cuffs and someone had nicked them.

As far as I know, in New South Wales and in Qld you can only have cuff which don't lock. The guy who live in those states would be able to give more accurate info.

Ian

September 3 2011, 4:33 AM 

"As far as I know, in New South Wales and in Qld you can only have cuff which don't lock. The guy who live in those states would be able to give more accurate info."

Perhaps someone in New South Wales or in Queensland would be interested in purchasing my 1977 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale. It is free of rust and dents, looks great for its age, although it doesn't actually run anymore. [linked image]

Ian McColl

September 3 2011, 7:22 PM 

What are you trying to say Justin?? LOL

"As far as I know, in New South Wales and in Qld you can only have cuff which don't lock. The guy who live in those states would be able to give more accurate info."

should have read...As far as I know, in New South Wales and in Qld you can only have handcuffs which don't lock/function. The guyS who live in those states would be able to give more accurate info."

Makes sense to me...

Justin

September 3 2011, 11:48 PM 

Antique handcuffs ( working or not )and reproductions of antique handcuffs are perfectly legal in every state of Australia, including NSW and QLD.

Last time I was at the Police museum in NSW, which is a government owned museum, they had a basket full of adjustable Indian darby cuffs with a peculiar dull green finish on them for $45 a pair, all with working keys ! Unfortunately the arms fairs and antique fairs are also flooded with these items.

Flea-bay Australia are the only people who seem to have a problem with antique handcuffs, but they are inconsistent in their rulings, many antique and indian reproductions are sold on there every year.

Justin

Current Topic - Peerless model 400 for sale or trade  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index