<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Beware Fraud

April 7 2012 at 1:15 PM

I would like to warn fellow collectors that I believe there is definitely one and possibly two scams regarding the sale of rare cuffs.

I personally have just lost many thousands of £000s in one transaction. I was offered the following cuffs pictured below which surprise surprise have not materialised. I was approached by the seller who claimed to be aquatinted with and individual from whom I have already purchased a pair of cuffs from approximately four years ago. The seller is based in Nigeria (Yes it did ring alarm bells) however things seemed to check out and the reference to a pervious purchase convinced me that it was feasible.
[linked image]

Obviously Ive taken advice on the matter and dont want to give names at this point but if any one is offered this collection or any item in it, then BEWARE. Even if the seller is not from Nigeria Id be very cautious. I would be interested in hearing from any one that has been or is approached.

The second (potential) scam is from a person from Scotland offering the Broome and Wood bar cuff which sold on eBay for $6766 on the 26th May 2011. The seller is currently advertising the cuffs on line for £1800. They are using the exact pictures which were used on the original eBay sale. I doubt the original purchaser of them came from Scotland. Can anyone confirm this?

The following picture is taken form a for sale listing which is currently active. It is one of the pictures used on eBay in 2011.
[linked image]

Having already lost a huge amount I'm not risking a penny on these. I asked the seller to supply a picture of the cuffs taken at a particular angle and they have been unable to do so. If this one is genuine then I'll apologise to the seller but It doesn't seem right.

Mark (RMP)

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

GB68

Re: Beware Fraud

April 7 2012, 1:45 PM 

I remember seeing these listed on bid buy for 1000us a few years ago but saw the were sold ..and as for the bar i also saw that for sale in the UK for 500gbp on a web site.

Joshua

April 7 2012, 8:14 PM 

Both photos are of cuffs that have been sold in the recent past. I too was contacted by the individual claiming to have the Broome & Wood. Luckily I was aware that the exact photo was used when it sold the current owner. I did ask the current owner that if I paid the scam artist could I just swing by his house and pick it up....he said no. If it seems too good to be true, it usually is...unfortunatley.

Anonymous

April 8 2012, 11:26 AM 

shame you never thought to warn anyone joshua

Joshua

April 8 2012, 11:34 AM 

I did, just not your dumbass.

April 8 2012, 12:19 PM 

Disregarding the fraud issue, the picture of the German cuffs is awesome; Mühlenfled 115 chain cuffs,
matching leg irons, Mühlenfeld Berliner and other unknown (as lest to me) leg irons and neck collars.
What a nice bunch of restraints!

The question is if there really were a recent sale, maybe the picture is just old and used by a scammer.
If there really were a serious sale at the first place, I think we would have heard of it due to the rareness
of the items, woulnd't we?

Lars

Joshua

April 8 2012, 2:00 PM 

Well I can't speak with certainty but what I can say is that this lot was for sale on a legit internet auction sight (albeit a small sight) at one time. The amazing thing about that was it did not sell. It's possible that it was a scam at that time but according to the site managers it was at least authentic on their end. Either way the cuffs exist somewhere in order for the photo to be taken. The question is where are they now?

April 8 2012, 2:15 PM 

Joshua this was the lot of cuffs we were talking about on the phone not to long ago.

April 9 2012, 5:44 AM 

Mark, I'm really sorry for your loss. I appreciate you warning us about that here in the forum after you lost so much money. Not many people are willing to do that. Thank you for that.

You could always ask for some more specific closeups, if you're not sure the buyer really has them. Or ask for a passport or driver's license scan before you send the money.

Of course it would have been a lifetime find. Sometimes what we want to see makes us blind to what we see. But it's also too good to be true. But then, fraud is never what honest people expect in the first place.

Nils

Nils

April 9 2012, 7:47 AM 

I knew the photo looked familar. And I found it:

http://usslave.blogspot.com/2011_02_01_archive.html&docid=XtwJ1wGJYOc3ZM&imgurl=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6Wu9jv7n_E4/TWplpWWHfmI/AAAAAAAAD-M/qlux5yUcibQ/s400/iron%25252Bshackles3.JPG" alt="[linked image]">&w=400&h=300&ei=6cmCT9T4DcHvsgbupuHdBA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=610&vpy=480&dur=4375&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=113&ty=216&sig=105004083415201752205&page=11&tbnh=151&tbnw=187&ndsp=35&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:354,i:165

scroll to the middle of the page.

or this:

[linked image]

Fred G. Sanford.

April 9 2012, 8:25 AM 

I was expecting a post about Goncz handcuffs.
This is even worse.

Anonymous

April 9 2012, 9:05 AM 

Mark (RMP)

April 9 2012, 12:58 PM 

The Broome and Woods cuffs which I'm also convinced is a scam can be found hear. Don't be tempted into parting with any money before you have them fastned around your wrists.

http://glasgow.craigslist.co.uk/clt/2923335170.html

We all need to be especially vigilant and if I could encourage people to post details of any scams they may find to prevent this happening again.

Nils thank you. Yes it would have been a life times find. I am normally extremely cautious and dubious about things appearing to be to good to be true.

Without wanting to sound clever I beleive that if they got me then they would have duped 99% of the members of this formum. No great pressure, take your time. I'll keep looking for things in better condition and with the keys. I'll sell these to someone else whilst I keep searching for you.

The cuffs have probably never been in Africa. I had just never seem the pictures before and wanted it to be true. I even approached another member for advice about the best way of approaching this transaction and it still went wrong.

Regards,

Mark (RMP)

Current Topic - Beware Fraud  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index