<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

EARLIEST HANDCUFFS - HELP - PLEASE!!!!!!!!

May 10 2012 at 1:03 PM

I have just joined the forum in the hope that someone can help. I have an interest in policing during the Hanoverian / Regency period and am putting together a costumed impression of an C18th constable or night watchman. The idea is to set up an interpretive display at various living history events around the U.K. To this end I have assembled a variety of "props" to create interest for the public.

Now - the question is, were there handcuffs in the late C18th? I have trawled the Internet looking for conclusive information as to if there were, and if so what they might have looked like. To date I am none the wiser.

If some kind soul can help then I would be indebted.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Re: EARLIEST HANDCUFFS - HELP - PLEASE!!!!!!!!

May 10 2012, 2:55 PM 

Hi Lee:

A very simple answer, presuming you are wishing to depict a "watch and ward" scenario from 18th century Great Britain: they didn't have any handcuffs.

At most, the individual would have carried a truncheon as a symbol of office, which would range anywhere from the staff carried by the beadle of the parish to a tipstaff wielded by a bailiff or constable.

Franklin

May 10 2012, 4:50 PM 

Lee:

I will defer to our English police guys around here, but for your purposes, I think what would be historically correct is to outfit your display with a rattle. Almost impossible to describe, but it is a stick, with a thing that whirls around, with a clapper attached, and all made out of wood.

The theory behind the thing was to raise "hue and cry" such that all subjects of the King were alerted to come about to pursue and apprehend lawbreakers. Indeed today perhaps an antique concept when we now deny any personal responsibility for preserving the peace and rely solely upon paid policemen to discharge that responsibility. But, at that time, it was seen as a duty upon all to preserve the King's peace.

Police Rattle

May 10 2012, 6:09 PM 

There are many versions of the "police" rattle. Some have a single reed others have a double reeds. They are extremely loud and were used by the military as well. This model has a folding handle and is fairly uncommon.

Good luck with your display.

Damon

Photobucket

May 10 2012, 7:32 PM 

I believe that the plug 8 cuffs were made in the late 18th century, but it is unlikely they would have been carried by anyone on the street. The classic Darby seems to have come later in the early 19th century.

Joe

May 11 2012, 3:50 AM 

It should also be noted that latter adaptations of this contraption were used for mirth and merriment.
Consider the song performed best by Bill Haley & His Comets, "Shake, Rattle and Roll".

[linked image]

May 11 2012, 3:51 AM 

It should also be noted that latter adaptations of this contraption were used for mirth and merriment.
Consider the song performed best by Bill Haley & His Comets, "Shake, Rattle and Roll".

[linked image]

Paul

May 11 2012, 4:35 AM 

One of my rattles is identical to Damon's but the retailer is C & W Almond -Marked M&C for Military and Civil. Who actually made them is unknown. The Folding type were used by Police but were replaced with the whistle as the Police were being assaulted with their own lead weighted rattles.
It WAS my belief that the first London Police in the 1830/40s carried an "8" handcuff of some kind probably supplied by Parker and Field 233 High Street,Holborn and manufactured by Hiatt. But the lack of these in collections marked Parker or Field and the higher number of Parker Darby handcuffs suggests otherwise to me. Just my opinion.
Paul

LEE TIMMINS

THANKS TO ALL

May 11 2012, 1:52 PM 

Many thanks to all who responded to my query. I am somewhat the wiser.

If ever I can fathom out how to upload photos will show some of the bits and pieces that I have acquired so far for my display should anyone be interested.

Old Police Equipment

May 11 2012, 2:00 PM 

[linked image]

Think I have worked this out!!!!!!!!! If there is no image then I apologise (down to senility I'm afraid - also a technophobe).

Original watchman's lantern; early C19th or possible late C18th. Glass is with an antique glass restorer at present and lantern awaiting cleaning up.

2 original watchman's rattles, both single reed. Would like a double reed but haven't been able to source one.

Smaller Metropolitan Police type rattle, generically the same as that with folding handle, made to fit inside special pocket in Met tunic.

Wooden tipstave copied from an original and made for me by a wood turner. Waiting for painting up and cyphering by a local traditional sign writer.

May 11 2012, 3:30 PM 

Hey Lee, You got it right except you needed to remove the th_ from the picture url so the pictures would load as full size instead of as a thumbnail.

[linked image]

like this.

Anonymous

May 11 2012, 5:19 PM 

[linked image]

Second time lucky. I hope!!!!

Paul

18th Century (1700's)

May 11 2012, 9:16 PM 

Just to be clear. What you are asking about is - what was used in the late 1700's.
Most of what is shown here are mid to late 1800's.
So the earliest known handcuff makers, as far as we know, are Griffin and Hiatt, either together or separate. If we believe the advertising, they were established in 1780, before Hiatt was born, but when Griffin was 30. Prior to that, the local blacksmith or whitesmith would have been commissioned. The earliest dated cuff I have is 1816 made by a whitesmith in East Retford.
[linked image]

FOLLOWING ON

July 24 2012, 5:02 PM 

Further to my request some weeks ago. I have read somewhere of early restraints consting of a piece of wood with a leather thong that could be twisted so as to secure someone.

Does anyone know of an artists impression of what exactly these might have looked like?

French leather twister

July 24 2012, 7:02 PM 

Dear Lee,

This may be to what you refer. The picture is from Michael Busch's outstanding Web site.

[linked image]

Michael refers to it as "French Leather Strap Come-Along" as a caption to the thumbnail image on --

http://vincula.de/4786.html

The French made wooden-handled nippers utilising rope, leather and braided, coiled steel links to surround the wrist and be twisted.

Cheers,

Jack
http://www.editing.org.uk/tanis/collectibles.htm

July 24 2012, 7:39 PM 

Is this what your asking about [IMG][linked image][/IMG]

LEE TIMMINS

MANY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

July 26 2012, 4:42 PM 

Just what I needed. Much obliged to you.

French Twister

July 26 2012, 4:43 PM 

Again I am obliged to you.

Current Topic - EARLIEST HANDCUFFS - HELP - PLEASE!!!!!!!!  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index