<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Presto Lyon: Different Keys? FN Magnetic for Sale

November 20 2012 at 11:17 AM

Hi everybody,

I was recently able to obtain another Presto Lyon, and I was surprised the key I had was too big (in two dimensions) and did not fit. That seems to underline the fact that many manufacturers actually adapted keys to individual cuffs, at least until early into the 20th century.

I tried getting a HR key to work, but I'm not quite there yet. Could I ask other owners to post a photo of their Presto Keys?

The Presto appears like it may have been openend on one side at some time. I can't say anything about the springs as I have not been able to open them.

As I don't have the time nor the technical inclination to work on them right now, I would consider selling them. I was thinking $250 plus shipping (around $14 to the US), the unfinished key goes with it.

I also have a FN Herstal (magnetic) that has one side slightly stuck, or not really locking. Not sure if it can be fixed. No key, but any strong magnet will do. $100.

Nils

[linked image]

[linked image]
Comparison between my old one (top, thick black key); bottom: cuff in question, plus attempt at a key from a HR key. Locksmiths, forgive me.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Re: Presto Lyon: Different Keys? FN Magnetic for Sale

November 20 2012, 11:38 AM 

Hi

I would say that the key you show is the good one

my pair off lyon presto work with a key like that

good luck

best

patrick

Dorson

November 20 2012, 10:43 PM 

I think maybe the ward inside the lock could be damaged as I have had that problem with the La Messonettes. If you have lock picks around, try opening them with the picks or shimming them open.

Herstal info

November 21 2012, 4:16 PM 

Hey there,

Would you please contact me about the magnetic cuffs? I have some questions.

Thanks,

--Chuck

November 22 2012, 2:47 AM 

Hi Nils,

The black key in your picture is an original key for the second version of Presto and it should
actually work in your second set if they are the same version (long chain). As the key doesn't open
the cuffs I suspect something is wrong in the locks.
I have had a least six sets of the second version and they all worked with an original key.

The first version of Presto (normally with a single link) takes a different key with a single bit.
This version is also much rarer.

[linked image]

Both versions have a built in spring in the hinge that makes the cuff "spring open" when unlocked. Most cuffs
have lost the spring tension over time but you can check the clip to see how they originally worked:
http://youtu.be/ScQY3iNecnI

Cheers,

Lars

November 22 2012, 11:49 AM 

Hi Lars,
great video!

The thing is, the key is actually too big to enter the keyhole. The difference is really minute, but the key is just too large. That does not have to mean anything is wrong with the lock. I'll keep trying and keep you posted.

I didn't know the single link version took a different key.

They're really nice cuffs from yesteryear. The other set I have does not have any strength in the springs left.

Thank you for posting.

Cheers
Nils

Nils

November 22 2012, 11:51 AM 

Chuck, I sent you an e-mail. I know that mails from my provider often end up in filters, so maybe check.

You can use my address above.

Nils

December 8 2012, 12:11 PM 

Thanks to Andy58, we got the Presto Lyon to open - they work, and are still for sale. Price as before.
They come with the makeshift key.

Let me know soon, please, otherwise they will go up for auction.

I'm awaiting decision on the FN Herstal from a potential buyer.
E-Mail me if interested.

Here is a video; the second side is the one that appears somewhat stuck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMoS9qioIF8

Unless I post something to the contrary, they are still for sale.

Take care
Nils

Current Topic - Presto Lyon: Different Keys? FN Magnetic for Sale  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index