<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Larry
(no login)

Re: Swing-Through Legiron History

October 26 2013, 8:09 PM 

Just throwing in my two cents with some data: I have a set close in age to David's. Serial is 200612 and Mr Gill has them recorded as made in 1948. They have the logo.

Someone compared the older to newer models, i.e. thinner metal, smoother action from weaker springs, etc. That describes very well the examples I've owned. All those characteristics are quite "pronounced", to the point that you don't even need two examples side by side to compare. Not so sure about "sloppier appearance" when comparing the ones I have from the 70s-80s. I see nothing sloppy about them.

Some other differences to mention with the logo versions compared to newer ones without is the dog/detent. My 1948 model has an oval-shaped dog that is set into the case as if it were a pin inserted into a hole. There is no detent on the other side as it would serve no purpose. The newer ones appear to be stamped and show the detent from the outside. Two other things I haven't heard mentioned (perhaps just my set) is the clearance between the ratchet and pawl, when the key is turned fully, is less with the older set. Its so tight in fact that bet you could barely slide a sheet of paper between the two when the ratchet is disengaged. Also, the ratchets on the older set, even though they show signs of plenty of use, are in perfect shape with no sign of wear. I've seen several newer models with ratchet teeth that are ground down or chipped, even though they have weaker springs and therefore would reduce the friction. Perhaps the steel used to be of better quality or of a hardness better suited to preserving the edge on the teeth.

Jason
(Login grenchat)

October 27 2013, 7:49 AM 

At some point Peerless swapped out the high-tension coil springs in lieu of the relatively low-tension, smoother leaf springs used to this day. My understanding was that the leaf spring construction required fewer moving parts, allowed for the omission of bushings, etc.

The nickel plating is something of an enigma in and of itself: For one thing, the actual nickel composition has varied over the years. Also, the nickel plating on earlier examples was much more durable, even with greater frictional force imparted to the ratchet due to the coil springs of yore. Someone with some electroplating pedigree could help us out here: Was the increased durability due to the composition, the adherence, or simply the thickness of the plating?

Bree
(no login)

Handcuff type for novel.

April 2 2018, 12:15 PM 

Hi,

This is slightly off topic - Not sure if you can give me some quick advice on the type of handcuff to use in my book. I'm writing a Military suspense novel that involves a woman getting temporarily arrested in Peshawar, Pakistan. The men that place her under house arrest are corrupt. One of her wrists is cuffed to a table. I need to cuff to be archaic, rough and uncomfortable. She has really tiny wrists - It needs to be super tight.
I was also wondering if a universal key would be able to open the cuff. I'd prefer that it could not. The team that rescues her, shouldn't be able to open the cuff without the original key.

Am I on the right track using one of these?
- Russian chain handcuffs BRS
- ASR Tactical Darby Style cuffs
- Combination neck/ wrist cuffs - Chinese
- Darby Pakistan model 121

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

LK
(no login)

April 4 2018, 6:53 AM 

BREE WHAT YEAR DOES THE EVENT HAPPEN ?

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>