<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Model 94s

December 31 2014 at 3:28 PM
Brian Gleason  (no login)

I have read all info posted here about 94s I have a question that I did not seen asked, I have pair of 94s that are 1st version, just a serial number on the back and I also have another set also 1st version, but have a serial # and an A stamped on them. 1st set open with key made Ian Mcoll N pattern, 2nd set marked A no key How did Smith and Wesson mark restricted key 94s? Thank you for any help.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Blackburn
(no login)

Re: Model 94s

January 1 2015, 10:51 AM 

Brian,
A cuff marked A uses a N Key. A is a common cuff not restricted. Other Cuffs that are restricted will either have a Letter before the serial number or they won't have a serial number but instead have just a single letter were the serial number would be. Your cuff marked A and your unmarked cuff with a N key should both operate with the same N key.

There are 9 Keyways. Eight are restricted,all except N(A marking on cuff). D,E,G,H,L,M,N,R,S

Brian Gleason
(no login)

94s

January 1 2015, 11:47 AM 

Thank you Blackburn, So restricted models have a number where serial number would be. I appreciate you helping me. Have a great New Year. Sincerely Brian Gleason I will never understand why 104s replaced 94s and 100s replaced 90s. My dad carried 2 sets of 94s never a problem with prisoner picking locks with pen, dad carried them so if another officer transported prisoner he would get his handcuffs back. Thank you.

Blackburn
(no login)

January 1 2015, 12:06 PM 

Just to add to this conversation, I have never seen a version 3 that was a restricted keyway. I have versions 1 and 2 that are restricted, but no version 3. Does anyone have any version 3 94's that are a restricted keyway?

Anonymous
(no login)

January 1 2015, 5:09 PM 

The word 'keyway' refers to keyhole grooves or profile.
Model 94 has NO restricted 'keyway'

It does have restricted keys, which have key cuts to suit the combinations of the pin tumbler locks which are not available civilians.

David
(Login dltvette)

January 2 2015, 4:50 PM 

Brian,
Here are some photos of the restricted 94's I have.
Restricted "D" is a version 1, no serial number just the letter D (2 pair marked this way).
Restricted "E" is a version 2. the letter E before the serial number.
Restricted "G" is a version 1, the letter G before the serial number.
Restricted "S" is a version 2, the letter S before the serial number.
Dave

[URL=http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx303/Americanpw/IMG_2258.jpg" alt="[linked image]">[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx303/Americanpw/IMG_2256.jpg" alt="[linked image]">[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx303/Americanpw/IMG_2257.jpg" alt="[linked image]">[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx303/Americanpw/IMG_2255.jpg" alt="[linked image]">[/IMG][/URL]

David
(Login dltvette)

January 2 2015, 4:56 PM 

Brian,
Here are some photos of the restricted 94's I have.
Restricted "D" is a version 1, no serial number just the letter D (2 pair marked this way).
Restricted "E" is a version 2. the letter E before the serial number.
Restricted "G" is a version 1, the letter G before the serial number.
Restricted "S" is a version 2, the letter S before the serial number.
Dave

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Brian Gleason
(no login)

94s

January 2 2015, 5:54 PM 

Thank you DAVID, awesome pics. I never saw the restricted numbers on back of lock case before, I appreciate it very much.

Joseph Fox
(no login)

Restricted S&W #94s

January 5 2015, 2:01 PM 

Blackburn

Just to add to this conversation, I have never seen a version 3 that was a restricted keyway. I have versions 1 and 2 that are restricted, but no version 3. Does anyone have any version 3 94's that are a restricted keyway?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Blackburn:

Interesting info. on the S&W #94s - as they are my favorite modern swing-through cuff, along with the Restricted variations.

I have an exception to the above rules:

I have a RESTRICTED Model 3 handcuff - featuring an "A" on the bow, and a NUMERIC Serial Number ONLY (NO Letter). It takes a "D" key.

Because the main selling point of the 94s was the ability of the factory to Re-key/Reset the pin combinations of the model 94s..I surmise that the owner of my cuffs sent his standard "N" Key model back to the factory - to have them Re-keyed to a "D" Restricted model(?). I agree that officially no Model 3 94s were originally sold as Restricted models.

Lars Holst
(Login holstcollection)

January 5 2015, 4:46 PM 

Hi,

I have a 1:st version with numeric serial number (no letter). They are restricted and keyed "G" (stamped G on key).

Lars

Brian Gleason
(no login)

94s

January 5 2015, 7:44 PM 

Lars, That is extremely interesting 94s are my favorite swing thru handcuff. Thank you for sharing that info!!!

Blackburn
(no login)

January 6 2015, 12:32 AM 

One more thing I wonder about is which is the most rare key combination. I believe I have seen more D and R models than anything. I have never seen a H,L, or M key. Anyone have any input on this?

Joseph Fox
(no login)

Restricted 94s

January 6 2015, 1:30 PM 

Hi--I have 7 of the Restricted models EXCEPT for "M" (I've never seen "M" for sale or in a collection - anybody want to sell me one?).

I'll agree that H and L (and G) are uncommon).

Bob
(no login)

S&W 94 M-Key Version?

March 11 2017, 12:09 PM 

Did you ever verify if the S&W 94 M-Key version was manufactured and if any are in a collection or are/were for sale? Thanks

Joseph Fox
(no login)

S&W 94s

March 11 2017, 6:42 PM 

Bob:

I am still unaware if a restricted model "M" was actually manufactured (or more correctly, unknown if the factory provided 94 handcuffs that were "keyed" to the "M" combination).

I'm still not aware of a fellow collector with one.

I haven't written to S&W about them....its been about 35 years since they stopped production of 94s, and I'd be surprised if they still had records, nor even cared to check their archives.

The Peerless Handcuff Co. is open & friendly to collector inquiries...Not so much with the S&W company (that's the vibe I get).

Anyway, any law enforcement agency could have requested "M" models for themselves...so, who knows... they could be out there?

Mark Lyons
(no login)

March 11 2017, 9:01 PM 

I will check to see if I have a "M" key.
Is it safe to assume that if the company made a "M" key, they would have made a cuff to go along with it?

mark
O--O

Bob
(no login)

Yes, that would be a safe assumption. Thanks

March 12 2017, 1:56 PM 

dumb assumption
(no login)

March 12 2017, 5:27 PM 

information from smith and wesson is that they did make M keys approximately 10 000 according to records however no cuffs were made.

Bob
(no login)

LOL! Could be since this was during the Bangor Punta era

March 12 2017, 6:20 PM 

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index