<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Unknown modern cuff

November 1 2016 at 5:26 AM

Cuffman  (Login CuffmanBelgium)

Does anyone have any info on these? I only have this picture.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Rasberius
(no login)

Re: Unknown modern cuff

November 1 2016, 7:12 AM 

This is Kelmet - new Polish stainless steel handcuffs

Anonymous
(no login)

November 1 2016, 7:22 AM 

These handcuffs are from Poland. The company which produces them is named Kel-Met.

Cuffman
(Login CuffmanBelgium)

November 1 2016, 9:28 AM 

Thanks, I knew they looked familiar. The Kel-Met I have has a round hollow key.

sbd
(Login silentbd)

Why...

November 1 2016, 4:25 PM 

Why do some manufacturers design their cuffs with alternating sides? korean cuffs are like that too. You put them on someone the same way and you end up with one cuff key hole facing up and one facing down, so if you want both keyholes to be front or reverse you have to goof around putting them on in different ways. I do not like that design.

Joseph Fox
(no login)

November 1 2016, 5:31 PM 

SBD:

The short answer: It's less costly to manufacture!

Manufacturing thousands of the IDENTICAL cuffs, and connecting them together to form one handcuff...is ALOT cheaper than manufacturing both a "positive" and a "negative" cuff in order to form one handcuff.

If someone can explain this in a better way, feel free.

Atame
(no login)

November 1 2016, 6:37 PM 

Correct. This is the new Kel Met line with solid key and in stainless steel.

They also produce leg irons, a combination, a training model and rigid handcuffs (Speedcuffs), which will all be available at www.cuffsland.com this month.

Best regards,
Guenter

sbd
(Login silentbd)

November 1 2016, 7:20 PM 

Makes sense now from a money perspective. Although if I were in law enforcement or some other setting where I needed to handcuff people, having cockeyed handcuffs would frustrate the hell out of me or say screw it and put up with someone always having 1 keyhole accessible.

On a side note about these particular ones. Nice specimens by the way, with a normal keyway there is no ambiguity of where the key goes. These have a slit and if you are trying to uncuff someone or adjust the tightness with someone who is struggling and fidgeting, you're likely to go fumbling around putting the key in the wrong side. If this company is new to the handcuff world I can understand the design.

Martin
(Login k20-on-tec)

November 2 2016, 2:07 PM 

You could have the key side always facing away it just means you have to put one cuff on the other way and tbh even with cuffs like smith and wesson in a struggle im sure sometimes the key sides end up facing opposite ways.

Parabellum
(Login parabellum_pl)

November 2 2016, 4:20 PM 

In the first variant of Kel-Met handcuffs with barrel key the cuffs were mirrored (this one had the manufacturer signature stamped on the body) and in the later they switched to non-mirrored (no signature on the lock case). Flat-keyed were non-mirrored from the start of production.
I think that the main motivation was economic. Polish policemen are still used to the old MO non-mirrored cuffs (you can find them in use, although less and less frequent - they are/were replaced by Kelmets, Hiatts and Alcyons), so it doesn't make that big of a difference if they are mirrored/non-mirrored.

anon
(no login)

November 3 2016, 1:46 PM 

A very unusual key hole which makes no sense as the key can be inserted in the wrong direction and could possibly result in a broken key.

Maybe the pin tip will prevent it from going in too deep if inserted incorrectly to avoid a breakage problem.

It would have been better to punch a regular keyhole shaped hole than the oval one they chose to go with.

Rasberius
(no login)

November 3 2016, 4:20 PM 

There is no way to insert the key in the wrong way. The tip of the key is long enough.

anon
(no login)

November 3 2016, 4:31 PM 

I guess you could attempt to put the key in wrong only to find out you have to turn it around 180 degrees.

sbd
(Login silentbd)

November 3 2016, 5:24 PM 

It's clunky. There should be no ambiguity of what direction you need to put a key into a lock. Like the old cruciform keys where you have to try up to 4 different times to get the key in the lock until you have the particular side facing the right way. Clunky. Frankly them being new is the only excuse. The key looks like it goes to a set of handcuffs from 1967 or something. I am personally not a fan of those. Even having no occupation requiring handcuffs I still wouldn't want them.

anon
(no login)

November 3 2016, 6:56 PM 

the cruciform key typically has one of the 4 sides slightly larger than the other 3, so it would only go in 1 way to be fully inserted, but like this cuff, you would have to try each way until the key was properly seated

Rasberius
(no login)

November 4 2016, 7:06 AM 

I have this model. And the problem is not there.

SBD
(Login silentbd)

January 13 2017, 1:33 AM 

I am considering buying a pair of these given that I can actually buy more keys, else I would never consider it. I like to know I have backup keys for cuffs. I keep a minimum cuff key count in my wallet so that I can open all or at least most of the cuffs in my possession. My only exception so far is the double lock of some high security Chinese cuffs I do not carry. However the price of these cuffs was so tempting that I knew it was likely I would order them.

Are these NIJ certified does anyone know?

andrew
(Login axylon)

January 13 2017, 9:41 AM 

are they double-locking? Does the cut in the key flag serve a purpose?

SBD
(Login silentbd)

January 13 2017, 10:31 AM 

"These handcuffs with an unusual twisted chain are very well made Like all KEL_MET metal restraints, they are made of stainless steel without any nickel plating. They can be securely double locked by small push buttons which are activated by use of the key-top. To unlock the double lock, the key has to be turned against opening direction. All KEL-MET restraints use a special solid key with double bit and cannot be operated with an US standard handcuffs key."

delta
(no login)

January 28 2017, 1:46 PM 

What is the model number for these hand cuffs? I cannot find it anywhere.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index