<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Hiatt / SA French Nipper

April 7 2017 at 9:26 AM
Paul Davies  (no login)

Who can tell me the story behind this Hiatt Nipper, Pat. Registered 1913 I think?
based on the 1892 S.A French nipper. I've not seen one before.
Paul

[linked image]
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Joseph Lauher
(Premier Login lauher)
Owner

Re: Hiatt / SA French Nipper

April 7 2017, 11:48 AM 

Paul

Nice find. I have never seen one. I would like to know the story as well.

Joe

Ron Spitz
(no login)

April 7 2017, 12:21 PM 

Paul,

Very nice nipper. Comparing it to my French nipper, yours looks much heaver and the hinge is a bit different mine shows the pivot and is not finished like yours and is spring loaded and the top handle is also spring loaded. I wonder if Hiatt was licensed by French to produce their version?

Ron

Rusty
(Login 94104)

April 8 2017, 3:16 AM 

Found this from an old page from this site.

http://www.editing.org.uk/tanis/restraints2.htm

Paul Davies
(no login)

April 8 2017, 3:52 AM 

Thanks Rusty, but I do not see it on that website. The Gallery on this website has an awesome display of nippers.
I believe Jack Tanis, who owned the other website, died quite a few years ago and I'm surprised the website is still going? There is some good info there.

Chris Gower
(no login)

Nipper

April 8 2017, 4:25 AM 

Great find Paul, I have never seen one marked Hiatt, there is no mention of it in their 1907 catalogue or 1920 advert. Back in the 1980's I did search the Patent Office in London and made a list of all handcuff and restraints patented from 1750 to 1975, certainly there is no mention of the Nipper. Looking at the markings think it might say Rd which could be a registered design number?
Chris

Paul Davies
(no login)

April 8 2017, 7:44 AM 

Thanks Chris,
you are absolutely right and it makes sense since S.A. French had been selling this design previously.
I had to do some research to see how a Registered Design differs from a Patent. As it stands at the moment, the definition of Registered Design is as follows, whereas a patent is for an innovation.
Paul

"What is a UK registered design?

A UK registered design gives a “monopoly” right, i.e. a right to stop anybody else using the registered design irrespective of whether they copied it.

A UK registered design gives its proprietor the exclusive right in the United Kingdom to make, use, sell, import and export any product embodying the design, if it is a shape, or bearing the design if it is ornamentation. These rights extend to similar designs which do not produce a substantially different impression on the informed user.

The proprietor can take action against any third party who carries out any of the rights exclusive to the proprietor within the United Kingdom without the proprietor’s permission, even if they are using a design that they created independently and without copying."

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index