<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

What liquid would clean off rust/oil deposits etc?

April 12 2017 at 2:42 PM
Dougal  (no login)

Hi

What could I buy from ebay that would help me bring steel and nickel plated steel back up to nice looking condition, to remove the odd rust spot and stubborn oily smears from lubricant mixing with a wax coating? I rub and rub but the multi-color oil stain just stays there. I tried isopropanol but no help.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Chuck
(Login ChuckII)

Re: What liquid would clean off rust/oil deposits etc?

April 12 2017, 4:00 PM 

Maybe soak them in WD-40?

Dougal
(no login)

April 12 2017, 4:05 PM 

I worry doing this. People say using WD40 on handcuffs is not good, or on any lock you care about. I thought about this but I worry. I think there must be some kind of metal cleaner or something but when I search I find brushes :|

Anonymous
(no login)

April 12 2017, 4:31 PM 

I use Break Free® CLP® cleaner available at most gun stores, and Brake Cleaner which is available from any auto parts store. I prefer not to use WD40, unless the cuffs have been submerged in water ........ My two cents!

FWIW: See also: https://www.peerless.net/maintenance.html

Martin
(Login k20-on-tec)

April 12 2017, 4:47 PM 

Brake cleaner will remove most things oil related. As for wd its ok as long as you oil after as it will leave the surface dry with no protection

Dougal
(no login)

April 12 2017, 6:04 PM 

Thank you, both of you.

So break cleaner seems to be one that comes recommended.

Anonymous, what about them being submerged in water makes you want to use WD40 on them that otherwise you would not? What is the benefit/con? I have just ordered some second hand hiatt chain handcuffs and the person agreed to find me a good pair but I will want to wash them with water and then isopropanol before I oil them to protect them. This is aside from my original message because of the cuffs I have with oil stains on them (which I think is stuck in the wax coating I have on them). So do you think I should use WD40 on them after I have washed them in water for some reason before I go oiling them?

Dougal
(no login)

April 12 2017, 6:08 PM 

Dougal
(no login)

April 16 2017, 5:34 PM 

it helped a little but some parts remain multicolour oil stain. I worry the stain is under a wax polish coating. What would I need to remove the wax coating?

not rocket science
(no login)

April 16 2017, 7:51 PM 

wash them in boiling water to remove wax. then soak them in WD-40 or acetone to remove water.(for an hour of 2) Dry and then oil. easy. not rocket science and you don't need special brand and targeted advertised product (thats all BS)

(no login)

April 19 2017, 1:39 PM 

wd40 is worth no good at all in a mechanism. very bad advices to put wd40 in these mechanism. if You listen to that advices you will be wrong. in my country we have a saying. if you follow a lost horse you end up everywhere you wish not to be.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 19 2017, 2:29 PM 

1003, WD40 is an excellent product when used as intended; NASA is very picky about products it uses! It was originally designed to protect Atlas missiles from rust and corrosion! Most people seem to forget that it's primary purpose is to displace water, not lubricate! When the aerosol evaporates, a very fine oil is left behind, and this is not adequate in many cases, and can cause things to "gum up". Thus WD40 should be wiped off and replaced with a better lubricant once the primary task is completed..........

My two cents! happy.gif

to 1003
(no login)

April 19 2017, 6:30 PM 

why comment when you don't know shit

(no login)

April 19 2017, 9:18 PM 

agreed to 1003. wd40 the very bad decision.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 19 2017, 9:28 PM 

1003, glad to see that you know more than a company which has been mfg & selling handcuffs to law enforcement for decades!!

Excerpted fromhttps://www.peerless.net/maintenance.html

The following lubricants are recommended:

085 Ultra Bore or Special Forces Dry Lube: Both are made by Otis Technologies. They are high quality , light weight and non-greasy lubricants. They can be found in most law enforcement supply stores or gun supply stores. More information at www.otisgun.com.

Tri-Flow: Made by Tri-flow Lubricants. Teflon based - light weight and non-greasy. More information at www.triflowlubricants.com. Found at most hardware stores.

>>>>> WD40: A good inexpensive lubricant. Found at most hardware stores. <<<<

anon 1003
(no login)

April 19 2017, 9:32 PM 

if WD 40 displaces water, why in you simple mind, is it not good for keep moisture out of mechanisms. Do tell ?

Howy
(no login)

April 20 2017, 12:48 PM 

Because the WD-40 also removes any oils or protective coatings.

So use the WD-40 to remove all, then lube as mentioned to prevent rusting.

Howy
Cincy

wedideverythingrightyetwelost
(no login)

April 28 2017, 1:58 PM 

I am thanking you for the information

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index