<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Vintage Taylor Handcuff Keys

May 3 2017 at 12:36 PM
Gregg  (Login greggan1)

Hello, Came across a box of new old stock handcuff keys. They are marked Taylor HK3. I have many packages of these and each package has a different number. Numbers like 676, 677, 678 etc. Does anyone know anything about these?

Thank!!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
key catalogue
(no login)

Re: Vintage Taylor Handcuff Keys

May 3 2017, 7:18 PM 

put up an email address and i can send info directly

Paul Davies
(no login)

May 3 2017, 8:23 PM 

My experience with Taylor keys is that they are poor quality and fit with a rough surface. I wouldn't use one in an expensive cuff in case a bit breaks off. I think they are cast from pot metal, but an expert can enlighten us on that. I prefer to find an original key or get a new one cut.
Nice find though.
Paul

the help
(no login)

May 4 2017, 4:01 AM 

pot metal is a slang term used to describe die cast zinc. Taylor keys are not die cast zinc but sand cast malleable iron.

They are prone to breakage.

Taylor
(no login)

May 4 2017, 9:53 PM 

Taylor keys for handcuffs first and foremost are not keys, they were sold as BLANKS, and as such need to be "cut" and hand finished before use. Some MI blanks are of high strength and good quality, the small keys Taylor produced such as for luggage and handcuffs are basura.

to taylor
(no login)

May 4 2017, 10:15 PM 

How daft. they are "key blanks" therefore keys. Joe can you stop these posters??

help
(no login)

May 5 2017, 12:04 AM 

greg if you put up an email address i can send you info on each number.

Gregg
(Login greggan1)

Contact Info

May 5 2017, 1:06 PM 

greggan@aol.com

Thanks for all of your input. I am looking to off load these if anyone can use them. I have a lot of them

Maxwell
(no login)

Taylor blanks

May 7 2017, 1:16 AM 

I have found the 681 Taylor blank works very well in the Mattatuck handcuffs. not very good luck with any of the others tho. Good luck.

Taylor
(no login)

May 7 2017, 8:25 PM 

If you owned a Taylor catalog as I do, you would clearly see they sold the handcuff related items as "BLANKS" not "KEYS". A key is so called once it is cut, machined, filed, or fitted to properly operate the lock it was intended. Calling a blank a key would be like calling a frozen meat patty bought at your local grocer a burger. Both loosly resemble their completed counterpart, both require additional skill and labor to reach their full potential, both will be useless in the hands of an unskilled layperson and if you ordered a "key" to work your handcuff and instead sold a "blank", you would be just as pissed if you ordered a burger and were served a round frozed meat patty. You're welcome for me educating you!

reply to the uneducated person named taylor
(no login)

key blanks are found in key blank catalogs

May 10 2017, 2:08 AM 

Anonimus
(no login)

May 10 2017, 3:15 AM 

To:reply to the uneducated person named taylor
You can open at least some lock with blank key? Yes/No

SMH
(no login)

May 10 2017, 3:47 AM 

"you can open" is a statement not a question.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index