<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Two Summer Challenges. Name Joseph Kohler's Cuffs and Reproduce his Picture.

June 18 2017 at 4:20 PM

Joseph Lauher  (Premier Login lauher)
Owner

There is a nice picture on eBay of escape artist Joseph Kolar.

Here are two summer challenges.

1. Name all of his cuffs.

Most of them are pretty clear, we may need to discuss a couple of them.
There are ten classic cuffs. For discussion let us number them from top to bottom.

Then the real challenge. . .
2. Reproduce the picture today by posing in the same selection of cuffs. Then post your picture
here on the forum for eternal fame.

The bow tie will be optional, but would be nice. No Photoshopping allowed.

Have fun.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Your can read about Joseph Kolar here:
http://www.geniimagazine.com/magicpedia/Joseph_Kolar

With the help of Google you can discover that:
Alfred Vincent Saal was the son of Alfred Peter Saal

[linked image]

Alfred Vincent Saal was born on October 8, 1927 and the picture is dated 1927 just a year after Houdini died. This is interesting since we often discuss which cuffs were used by performers during the Houdini period.

So it appears that Alfred Peter Saal asked fellow magician Joseph Kolar to autograph a picture for his son who was still a baby.

The back of the picture is also interesting. Alfred Peter Saal and Joseph Kolar were discussing some sort of light box, which seems to have been Saal's specialty.

[linked image]

One final item on the back of the photo. According to his bio, Kolar's "catch phrase" was:
"Give my regards to the Chief of Police!"

What an interesting photograph with a story.

Enjoy the summer, but don't forget to work on the two challenges.

Joe

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
?
(no login)

Re: Two Summer Challenges. Name Joseph Kohler's Cuffs and Reproduce his Picture.

June 18 2017, 8:14 PM 

it's not summer here

Joseph Lauher
(no login)

Re: Two Summer Challenges. Name Joseph Kohler's Cuffs and Reproduce his Picture.

June 19 2017, 7:01 AM 

It is also a great winter project.
Joe

Martin
(Login k20-on-tec)

June 19 2017, 4:00 PM 

Its summer here in uk for a change its 30+. I however am not lucky enough to own these fantastic cuffs

Chris Gower
(no login)

10 cuffs

June 20 2017, 3:41 PM 

Okay here goes my attempt to identify the cuffs:
1 Bean Giant
2 ?
3 Palmers Size 3
4 Cobb
5 Peerless 1st model
6 Daley Bottlenecks
7 Towers detective
8 Towers DL
9 Romer LI
10?

Am in Spain at the moment, get back tomorrow, not sure where my bow tie is but will get photo done when the other cuffs have been identified.
Chris

DJ-halfdead
(Login djhalfdead)

June 20 2017, 4:53 PM 

Cuff #2, to me, looks like it could be some type of Hamburg 8?
-Richard Knip-

Joseph Fox
(no login)

Kolar Photo

June 20 2017, 7:45 PM 

I believe that #2 is a FLAT-KEY Hamburg 8.
(based upon an alternative close-up view that I have of this pic--courtesy of John Bushey & Fred Pitella).

(although, Kolar has also posed in other photos with the rare "horseshoe keyhole" Hamburg 8s too)

A fun contest, Joe Lauher! ...My bet is on YOU to be the 21st century "Joseph Kolar".

DJ-halfdead
(Login djhalfdead)

June 20 2017, 9:38 PM 

#2 does look like a flat key Hamburg 8. If you look at what would be #4, after the palmers, these also look to be a Hamburg 8. Look at the shape of the center lock case and how the shackles are offset, from each other. Could these be the Horseshoe Key Hamburg 8s? That would make The Cobbs the #5 and each cuff after, on Chris's list would move up one number. Putting the Romer L.I. at #10, instead of #9.
-Richard Knip-

DJ-halfdead
(Login djhalfdead)

June 20 2017, 9:47 PM 

This pic of Kolar, shows his HorseShoe Key Hambug 8s, in position 3. Just for reference.
-Richard Knip-

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index