<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The Publications of John Bushey

July 18 2017 at 7:44 AM

Joseph Lauher  (Premier Login lauher)
Owner

No one has been more supportive and has contributed more to our hobby than John Bushey of Duluth, Minnesota.

John is a man of many talents. John has been an escape artist and magician for over 40 years. He collects handcuffs, Houdiniana and escape artist memorabilia. He is a craftsman who has designed his own handcuffs and other escape artist equipment. He is a world authority on the works of Bob Dylan and for over 25 years he has been the host of "Highway 61 Revisited" on KUMD radio featuring the works of Dylan. John is also the favorite teacher of elementary school students and most importantly a friend to countless people worldwide.

One of John's favorite pastimes has been the history of handcuffs and their inventors. He has spent endless hours researching and discovering the obscure details that bring history to life. We are pleased that John has given us permission to share some of his work on Handcuffs.Org.

Thanks John for all that you have done for us.
Joe

Publications of John Bushey
(Click on the link to download a .pdf copy of each book)

Houdini vs. Kleppini - The
Story of the French Cuff with Letterlocks

The Story of the
McKenzie Mitts

Joseph
Lorey & the Lorey Handcuff

Presented with Permission of John Bushey.

[linked image]

John Bushey standing in front of his world's largest and most complete collection of Houdini Pitch Books.

This message has been edited by lauher on Jul 18, 2017 11:57 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
DJ_halfdead
(Login djhalfdead)

Re: The Publications of John Bushey

July 18 2017, 10:48 AM 

Cheers! To John! Your work for the collecting and Houdinianna communities is much appreciated and cherished.I wish you the best, my friend.
-Richard Knip-

Damon Shields
(Login ushandcuffs.com)

Thanks John

July 18 2017, 3:45 PM 

Joe,

Thanks for posting John Bushey’s publications. I know John worked very hard on them and is very pleased to be able to share the information.

John is responsible for bringing dozens of new collectors into handcuff and magic collecting. He has always had a thirst for knowledge and been willing to share his research and help others.

Thank you John for all you have done and continue to do.

Damon

Lars Holst
(Login holstcollection)

July 19 2017, 3:37 AM 

Joe,

As stated above, John has been one of the greatest contributors to our hobby through all his research and publications. Very nice of you to publish them here! Thank you John for all your efforts!

Our friend Ron Spitz is keeping records of all E.R. restraints but I also know John started some kind of inventory of the Wisner cuffs. As we both own these rare cuffs,
I thought you might have some information.

Lars

Chris Gower
(no login)

Publications

July 20 2017, 4:32 PM 

They are brilliant John, you have put a lot of work into them - well done. Really appreciate you sharing them with everyone on Joe's site. Chris

Arioch
(Login Ariochmagician)

John

July 23 2017, 6:18 PM 

These books are an amazing labor of love and a treasure trove of great information! Thanks John!!

Paul Davies
(no login)

July 24 2017, 3:29 AM 

Thanks John, caring and sharing is what it's all about.
Regards
Paul

michael griffin
(no login)

July 24 2017, 6:10 PM 

Great article! Great research by John!!!!

I dug out a pic I took way back of Stull Collection at castle,,,bad pic,,however a long chain Lorey is upper left Hope it helps with Lorey Story

[linked image]
[linked image]

Joseph Lauher
(Premier Login lauher)
Owner

July 25 2017, 9:51 AM 

Michael
Nice picture. Could you tell us the approximate date you took the picture?
thanks
Joe

michael griffin
(no login)

July 25 2017, 11:26 AM 

boy, i dont remember,,,its gotta be about 1979-1982

Joseph Fox
(no login)

Lorey pics

July 25 2017, 2:35 PM 

Hi Griff:

I have nearly the same identical photos of the Stull Handcuff Collection too (but in color)....I took them I think in the late 80's - early 90's.

--Joe Fox

Mark Lyons
(no login)

July 25 2017, 6:30 PM 

I never heard of the Stull collection before this blog.
Pease describe the collection (minus the obvious) if you will.
Who was he and where did he live?
This collection has some top notch cuffs and during those times, it was hard to compile such a nice set of cuffs like this.
Did any of them have claims of belonging to Hardeen or Houdini?

Thanks for sharing this pic and for answering my questions

Mark
O--O

Ron Spitz
(no login)

July 30 2017, 10:15 AM 

John has devoted many years to finding information on the history of handcuffs and magic. The three here are only a sample of the many publications he has researched and published. As we know he is a man of many talents. Lets hope more collectors develop an appreciation for the history of our hobby.

Thanks John and Joe for making these available.

Ron

Elliot Cutler
(Login Plungerman)

Keep on going, John.

August 15 2017, 11:46 PM 

I've known John for many years. Despite many difficulties he has always made his prodigious skills, knowledge and abilities available to any and all who might benefit. If you think the handcuff guys know and appreciate him you might like to hear what the padlock crowd has to say; well, more of the same.

I'm delighted to see him with his pride and joy collection at hand. He deserves the joy and can be forgiven the pride. His publications are not to be missed. They read just like a conversation with him, including all the valuable notes along the way. Scholarly all the way.

My favorite skill of his, no doubt his too, is his uncanny ability to make keys for Hamburg 8's under remarkable circumstances, with just a Piff-Paff-Poof.

There may not be no man righteous but he's as close as I've ever seen. Here's to you buddy.

[linked image]

This message has been edited by lauher on Aug 16, 2017 5:20 PM

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index