<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Female escape artists during the Houdini era

July 20 2017 at 2:57 PM
Gary Hunt  (Login gehunt)

I am researching American female escape artists during the Houdini era. Have identified about 60 so far. The earliest I have found was Pauline Braham, part of Lewis and Paul, who performed a handcuff challenge act in 1890. There is enough information on about 15 for detailed write-ups. Most of the rest I only found in a newspaper advertisements or entries in one of the theatrical magazines (Clipper, Billboard and Variety). Looking for photographs and ephemera on any “Handcuff Queens” of this era.

Thanks for your help on this project.

Gary Hunt
Durham, NC

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Spencer
(no login)

Re: Female escape artists during the Houdini era

July 22 2017, 11:04 AM 

Gary

That is a very interesting project and I wish I had some info to pass on to you but unfortunately I dont. Is your goal to publish a book on these performers?

Paul Davies
(no login)

July 24 2017, 3:42 AM 

See what the NY Public Library has it its collection from "Society of American Magicians". That is where I found a photo of Will A Bennet, the man who was involved with Houdini in the Mirror Cuff challenge at the Hippodome in 1904. Who knows what else they have.

Mark Lyons
(no login)

July 26 2017, 6:24 PM 

I have a nice pic of Sirronje the Handcuff Queen from 1908.
I will forward to Joe so it can be posted here.

Mark
O--O

[linked image]

This message has been edited by lauher on Jul 26, 2017 9:56 PM

Gary Hunt
(Login gehunt)

Thanks for the responses

July 30 2017, 1:11 PM 

Spencer: This has been a long term project. Started many years ago. While researching Brindamour’s bridge jumps I ran across Minerva “Queen of Handcuffs” also doing them. One thing lead to another and I found myself way down this rabbit hole. Plan on finally finishing my research into these fascinating performers and publishing a book or monograph. This is a very long term project. So it will be a while.

Paul: Thanks. I do have a friend looking at the collections of the NYPL and will tell them to look at the SAM collection.

Mark: One of my favorite photo of Sirronje. She was Florence Enright Norris born in 1879 and died in 1947. Her husband was Edmond J Norris (1864-1942) and he was an English born magician and actor. Her stage name was his name (E. J. Norris) spelled backwards. She performed from 1906 to 1911. She and Minerva were the most successful American female escape artists.

Gary

Spencer
(no login)

July 31 2017, 2:41 PM 

Gary

Thanks for the update and if your research does turn into a book please keep us informed through this forum.

Dan
(Login weaseldandaw)

August 1 2017, 4:01 PM 

Being an Escape Artist, I would be very interested to add your research to my collection. I know how hard the research is as I tried to compile an index of EA's about ten years ago. Please keep me informed.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index