<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Would "Peek" ruine the black oxide (blued) finish?

September 4 2017 at 1:43 PM
SBD  (Login silentbd)

This is the item:https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000TROMR6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am wondering, a blued finish is oxide as I understand it, but it is not rust. In fact as I understand it the bluing process helps to protect against rust right? So what would happen if I were to clean blued/black oxide handcuffs with this product? Does anyone have any experience or educated guestimations based on the information on the product listing?

Thanks

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Would "Peek" ruine the black oxide (blued) finish?

September 4 2017, 3:28 PM 

Be careful ................

https://www.tripeek.com/main.html says: "an entirely new market for Peek...rubbing out lacquer, shellac finishes for the demanding craftsman. ... Rods, Reels, Lures, Stainless Steel, Nickel and Blued Guns".

My "bet" is that as long as the piece was "hot-blued" during mfg, that you're okay. However if the piece was "cold-blued", i.e. painted on, that stuff will strip it off like paint & varnish remover!

When in doubt, check with BOTH the mfg of the cuffs -AND- the cleaner you intend to use!

My two cents .......... wink.gif

ABD
(Login silentbd)

September 4 2017, 4:38 PM 

I have a question out to Alcyon but still no response. Peek said they do not know, try it and find out, essentially. Lets say worst case, I used it and all the black on the bracelets came off. Okay, so they are now not black. How bad would that be in terms of corrosion/skin irritation? and is there anything I could rub on there that would create a hard wearing lasting protection of the metal?

Anonimus
(no login)

September 4 2017, 5:09 PM 

Rust is Fe2O3 oxide, blue is FeO oxide. Any oxide removing chemistry remove any oxide

Anonymous
(no login)

September 5 2017, 12:10 AM 

SBD,

If you want a "hard" finish, see the following:

http://www.handcuffwarehouse.com/smwemo100meh.html

A question: Are you a user -and/or- just a collector? If the latter, I can't see why you'd need to use a product such as Peek on newer stuff, unless you're trying to restore a totally abused pair of cuffs ............

I'm just a collector, and I've never had to do much with my newer pieces. The older parts of my collection I weigh cleaning/polishing them vs doing minimal work just to preserve the "patina"!

SBD
(Login silentbd)

September 5 2017, 5:51 AM 

Sort of both. Kind of. I like to try and pick locks. But I also like modern handcuffs. So I am kind of collecting them to a limited degree and like the way they look and want to keep them looking nice, but at the same time I do use them occasionally when I am in the mood to try and pick one and see how long it takes me and if I am even successful.

SBD
(Login silentbd)

September 5 2017, 7:16 AM 

I do not have my black cuffs yet to test, but it has worked wonders on some used ex-police handcuffs I have in my collection. They look brand new now! Less, of course, the grinding and scratches here and there.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index