<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

My thoughts on Yuil M-09 Korean Lightweight cuffs

September 16 2017 at 11:24 AM
SBD  (Login silentbd)

Taken from my video descriptionhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcuDtwFiapg&list=PLqe1Hk4m_ku7zDteRkKws9Az4CK3Cwy7L&index=36

These are extremely, extremely light-weight, to the point of almost feeling like toys. But I can assure you that these are not toys. They are very strong handcuffs. They come with 2 keys, special 2-bitted keys. However due to a lessening of quality standards at Yuil, you can usually open their handcuffs with a standard handcuff key, with varying levels of ease in doing so. But they do work as designed. Their keys work flawlessly and the function works fine.

The tolerances could be tighter, because there is some lateral play in the arm, meaning you cannot guarantee the teeth will lock if you snap them around someone's wrist with a single motion, because the arm may bounce off the side of the cheek places on either side and require you to squeeze them to the correct level of tightness. Not a big problem but still, another quality issue that could be resolved.

Over all I do like them and I have altered my thoughts about Yuil, away from "They need their own keys" to "at least it's a pair with shim protection" because in my mind, this is the only security benefit provided by Yuil these days.

Over all very nice handcuffs and I can only hope Yuil improve their quality controls and complete the high quality feeling that you would get with tight tolerances.

They are definitely worth the money though."

I really really wish Yuil would step up their production quality, in terms of tolerances. They have designed their handcuffs to use a split-bit key but due to sloppy tolerances normal keys work in many cases. In all the Yuil's I have bought over time, only one pair have functioned only with their split bit key only. The dividing metal needs to be extended farther to block non-split keys. Also the double lock has no protection and all normal keys work too. These Yuil handcuffs are so nice, yet depressing at the same time because I know what they should be like. I have a pair that perfectly encapsulate the quality Yuil used to be and the security level they used to have.

If anyone has any contact with Yuil, please, please make them aware of these tolerance/cheaping out issues.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: My thoughts on Yuil M-09 Korean Lightweight cuffs

September 16 2017, 5:21 PM 

SBD, it's an age old question: How much do we sacrifice in quality to save $$$, -OR- do we charge more only to lose clients? However IF I was a LEO putting my life on the line, I'd rather spend more $$$$ on quality cuffs, than to be "dead wrong" by trying to save a few dollars ...........

I also know several individuals who use them in their "businesses". They've learned the hard way to stay away from "junk" restraints, and buy only quality! Saves a panicked model and a costly embarrassing call to a locksmith! wink.gif

Another analogy is tools. Save some $$$ on cheap tools, only to turn around and spend more on a replacement. Or one can buy quality the first time around, -AND- appreciate said quality when the tool is utilized!

SBD
(Login silentbd)

September 16 2017, 6:08 PM 

For years I have been a buy better guy. Sometimes costs are an issue but I would rather get something nice than something bad. I am planning on making a blue line handcuff video because while they are chinese, they are apparently not that bad. So I want to check them out and share my thoughts on them when I end up getting them. I would not just go and buy cheapo handcuffs for use though. Like the Viper junk (UK viper, not a clue about the US viper ones).

dear Anonymous
(no login)

September 16 2017, 10:12 PM 

if cop lives mattered, then they would be issued with better cuffs than Peerless and Smith & Wesson. Which is why Gotcha didn't take off. Price is better than lives in America

Anonymous
(no login)

September 16 2017, 10:34 PM 

Dear,

I'll take a pair of S&W's any day over a pair of Chicago's, or Fury's .........

BTW: The Fury's which are made in Spain, not those "El Cheapo" fuzzy fur covered toy cuffs sold for BDSM purposes @ Spencer gifts!

SBD
(Login silentbd)

September 16 2017, 10:44 PM 

Smith & Wesson, as well as Peerless are a high quality handcuff. Not the most secure in the world but they are a robust handcuff with relatively tight tolerances. I wish they would add more protection though. It is known how to "break" handcuffs by binding up the chain, or shimming them. There are things known to make these more difficult like adding dividers between pawls and changing the connecting chain links. If Yuil had tight tolerances and did not trim so much of the dividing metal, forcing the key to need the split (again, like they used to do) then I believe Yuil would be the perfect handcuff. Not too prohibitive as to be too expensive but quite secure.

@anon
(no login)

September 16 2017, 10:48 PM 

you missed the point completely, I should have typed slower so you could keep up.

Anonymous
(no login)

September 16 2017, 11:50 PM 

Federal Marshals use Saf-Locks ( just ask Susan McDougal ), but even those can be beaten by a determined individual. I won't argue that cuffs need a redesign even better than your "Gotchas" ...... maybe you can come up with an "award winning" design that will win worldwide support, Dear!

..... and won't cost a small fortune! wink.gif

Rasberius
(no login)

September 17 2017, 7:55 AM 

If handcuffs cost twice as much - this does not mean that they are twice as good. French Rivolier is very expensive. Dutch Lips are also not cheap. Both have an aluminum body and both are officials Police handcuffs. ASP is twice as expensive as S&W, but I doubt they are any better than S&W

SBD
(Login silentbd)

September 17 2017, 9:00 AM 

In this context of which I started this thread, my main problem is that the first pair of Yuil I bought were perfect. Aside from the fact that maybe my cleaning agents contributed to the silicone lining coming off, the workings are perfect. Tolerances are good, it won't work with standard keys and NEEDS the split bit key. Just great. But every single pair I have bought since and every video about Yuil handcuffs I have seen since has been able to be opened mostly with standard keys. Also in my experience the tollerances have been pretty sloppy and you cannot even guarantee the bow will engage when you press it down on someone's wrist because most of the time it bounces off the cheek plate and makes a deep indentation there, at which point you must clamp it down manually to even get any form of lock.

So, my issue is more of gradual sloppiness or cost-corner-cutting compromising what used to be amazing products. Now I think of Yuil as standard handcuffs (that "may" not work properly with a standard key) that has shim protection and is of over all poorer quality.

Don't get me wrong, I love them for what they were and how they have improved over time but now it seems they have regressed.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index