<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Lovell Handcuff key

October 31 2017 at 1:32 PM
Mark Lyons  (no login)

Hi all,
This really nice Lovell sold on eBay recently and it has the exact same key as a pair that I have.
As both cuffs are very pristine and just about mint condition, I am wondering if these are the original keys.
I always thought that someone made my key because it is a bit ornate for a cuff key.
Does anyone else have this same key for their Lovell?
I have a Lovell leg iron that definitely has a home-made key and would be pleased to know if my marked Lovell came with its original key.

[linked image]

Mark
O--O

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
not original
(no login)

Re: Lovell Handcuff key

October 31 2017, 10:13 PM 

The key is more than likely NOT original as it doesn't turn around it's central axis but is offset as it was made from a blank.
A solid bean leg iron key has the main shaft central to the bow (head) of the key, it is not offset to one side. Therefore why would a flat steel key be made out side of common lock operating principles? ask a locksmith

Lars Holst
(Login holstcollection)

November 1 2017, 5:15 AM 

Hi,

I beg to differ! I'm sure this is an original key as I have two of them for my two Lovell cuffs.

I know it's hard to post photos here now but here are links to my cuffs.

Lars

[linked image]
[linked image]

Ian McColl
(no login)

November 1 2017, 6:51 AM 

what thickness is your key Lars?

Lars Holst
(Login holstcollection)

November 1 2017, 9:02 AM 

Ian, it's 1,4 mm.

Gordon
(no login)

I am not a locksmith

November 1 2017, 1:26 PM 

The way I see it, the Bean handcuff & leg-iron have a round keyhole, therefore take a solid key that has a around shaft. The Lovell handcuff & leg-iron have a have a flat slot for a keyhole, therefore take a flat key. It would have to be a
pretty damn thin solid key to fit into a Lovell.

Joseph Lauher
(Premier Login lauher)
Owner

November 1 2017, 3:30 PM 

Mark

I was reckless enough to be the buyer of the cuff in your picture.
I think the key is original. And the cuff is a very nice one.

Joe

Ian McColl
(no login)

November 2 2017, 3:22 AM 

thank you Lars, as the keyhole is 1.6mm wide then the key is about as max thickness as it could be.

Mark Lyons
(no login)

November 2 2017, 3:13 PM 

Lars, thanks for your info.
Being that your marked and unmarked examples came with the same key as my minty marked version does support the theory that these must be original keys.

Joe, nice score on your cuff. The price was reasonable and the seller is known to carry high end pieces. I paid a bit higher in the day for a similar item.
This item also being in mint or near mint condition which has the same key, should eliminate any doubt that these were furnished for the Lovell products.

Congratulations and enjoy.

mark
O--O

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index