<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Need an odd key

November 8 2017 at 7:33 PM
DJ halfdead  (no login)

I grabbed a pair of Kayser No.6 handcuffs without the key hole dust cover. The cuffs just have a keyhole that looks similar to an old time skeleton key, but the bit to the key would have to be fluted to work. They dont have a key. How do I go about getting one or having one made? Has anyone here ever made a key for one? What do I need to identify to see which key I need? I have found several key combinations from posts on here. Thanks for any help you can give me.

-Richard Knip-

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ian McColl
(no login)

Re: Need an odd key

November 8 2017, 8:00 PM 

is it LH or RH fluted?

Handboeienfreak
(no login)

November 9 2017, 12:41 AM 

Hi

For me they work with an old suitcase key

Best. Patrick

collector plus
(no login)

November 9 2017, 1:42 AM 

good tip, thanks

DJ halfdead
(Login djhalfdead)

Thanks!

November 9 2017, 10:20 AM 

Suitcase key is a great idea! Thank you! Ian, I am sending you an email today. Much appreciated, my friend.
-Richard Knip-

DJ halfdead
(Login djhalfdead)

November 9 2017, 1:10 PM 

May have found a solution. I took an old standard cuff key and ground the barrel on it until it was a semi-circle with the flag attached still. It will fit in the lock and after some cleaning and oiling, both sides work and open! Not sure if I will keep this modified key as the main key or not. I have doubts whether the flag will be rigid enough to keep from snapping when pressure is applied. For now, however, it does work. Thanks for the help, guys.
-Richard Knip-

Ian McColl
(no login)

November 9 2017, 5:32 PM 

thanks Richard, I make some drawings and send to you so you might be able to make your own key.

DJ halfdead
(Login djhalfdead)

November 9 2017, 7:07 PM 

As always Ian, thank you, my friend. Im going to give it a go this weekend.
-Richard Knip-

DJ halfdead
(Login djhalfdead)

November 9 2017, 11:02 PM 

Well, it seems that one of the locks has lost its spring. One set now freely swings through with no ratcheting. It happened while I was cleaning out the internals of the lock and getting things functional. The search is on for a working Kayser No.6. You win some, you lose some.
-Richard Knip-

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index